Friday, March 6, 2015

BR: Landline

by Rainbow Rowell

3 down, 1 to go... anyone have a copy of Attachments?

Summary (goodreads):

Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble; it has been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply — but that almost seems beside the point now.

Maybe that was always beside the point.

Two days before they’re supposed to visit Neal’s family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can’t go. She’s a TV writer, and something’s come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her — Neal is always a little upset with Georgie — but she doesn't expect him to pack up the kids and go home without her.

When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she’s finally done it. If she’s ruined everything.

That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It’s not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she’s been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts . . .

Is that what she’s supposed to do?

Or would Georgie and Neal be better off if their marriage never happened?


**
My Thoughts

Rainbow Rowell is a disgustingly talented writer.

Am I the right demographic for this book? Probably not. I'm not married, for one. I'm not in love, for another. In any other author's hands, these characters would have felt over the top and terribly cheesy to me (I'm cynical like that), but Rowell really sold it. I believed in Georgie McCool and her imperfections and desperation to make things right.

I remember when I met Rainbow Rowell- she was in Canada for her Fangirl book tour, and during the 45 seconds you get to chat with the author as she signs your books, I remember telling her how Eleanor & Park (my favourite read of 2013) made me believe in love. It was real then, and reading Landline was like a reminder of how well Rowell could make these things feel real. There's just something about the turns of phrase that she uses, how it feels so intimate and real- like it's a small story but the stakes are still so high, because this is life beyond a first kiss and a boyfriend. She also writes some incredible dialogue.

I didn't think it was perfect - the story started snagging somewhere around the last third and it just didn't completely click for some reason; I felt that as it was crossing the finish line, it had already lost its momentum.

Reviewers had mentioned that they didn't find Georgie likeable, but I just found her to feel incredibly alive, and with that came the validation of her emotions and actions and difficulties. I kind of liked that the magic phone was never really explained, although it's a bit of a cop-out, it worked within the story. And oh, how I adored Neal and his dimples (I need to learn to have his temperament).

This is really a love story, and as someone who dislikes love stories, I liked this one a whole lot. It's not for everyone though, because it's the type of story that won't always work for everyone. It's not perfect, but it's very different, very well written, and very, very good.


8.4/10









source: library
author website / twitter / tumblr
Angieville's awesome review just because

1 comment:

  1. Okay so I read Eleanor & Park a while ago and I liked it, but didn't LOVE it, and then I read Fangirl and I really really really liked it. So I'm pretty convinced about Rainbow Rowell's writing. I'm definitely not the target audience for this one either, but it sounds pretty intriguing. A character that's "incredibly alive" is one I want to read about.

    And I love what you said to Rainbow when you met her - that's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*