Friday, February 1, 2013

BR: Prodigy

by Marie Lu
Legend series; book II

Eep! Check out that cover! Thanks so much to RazOrbill for letting me be a part of the Prodigy book tour :)

Summary (goodreads)

June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector.

It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long.

But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong?

 **
My Expectations: kind of in the middle, I was worried about sequel-syndrome, plus I haven't read any reviews of it.
Delivery: very, very satisfying :) Definitely crushing on this one!
Put-down-ability: I am a college student. I had homework. I couldn't stop reading this. 2/10
**

My Thoughts

I entered Prodigy with a mix of skepticism and anticipation because quite honestly, I really didn’t remember how Legend ended or exactly how much I liked it* :/ (I had to read my review later, and I apparently loved it; that’s nice!). However, I remember enjoying Legend, so I was eager to get some more of Day and June.

Damn, Marie Lu, you stepped up your game.

Prodigy brings back two of the most likeable characters, and I stress how likeable they are. I found that even as their characters developed and flaws became more pronounced, I only liked them more for their mistakes coupled with their hearts of gold. I thought June really stood her own against the slightly more charismatic and smooth Day, and it was honestly just fun to read about them.

I mentioned the fantastic pacing in the first novel, and of course, I was concerned about this novel falling to “sequel syndrome” with too much talk and not enough walk. But Lu really impressed me with her blend of world-building (serious kudos!), character development, action sequences. While it’s not a non-stop adrenaline rush, I’ll definitely commend Lu for getting my heart (and fist) pumping with some very exciting scenes. The world building, which was something I took issue to in book one, was much better as Lu took the time to expose her dystopic world to her readers, I liked the inclusion of natural disasters, rebellions, and government, and I was especially delighted to see her mention how the “rest of the world” was coping with America’s little…problem. Yes, there is a world outside ‘Murica.

I had to mentally piece things together regarding the conclusion of Legend seeing most of it was hazy, so some references probably took some time for me to grasp, but overall, the storyline of Prodigy was decent. I found the situation regarding the Elector unoriginal, as with the direction she took several of the characters (Tess and Kaede in particular), but I was definitely won over by some other subplots (for some reason I really loved the Elector-June dynamic, and of course, the tumultuous but sweet relationship of Day and June made my heart mostly warm and fuzzy). I like the tension Lu introduced into their relationship (too much, might I add. Off-kilter relationships are the best.) While the overall story arc wasn’t as strong as I would wish, I think Lu handles the details with finesse and careful writing that really brings the novel to another level.

The dual POV is always enjoyable, and I thought the way June narrated some of the more intense scenes was very realistic, seeing she was the analytic one and Day was the emotional one. This is kind of a selfish wish, but I wish they were like, older. Like 17 or 18. Fifteen just seems awfully young... or I'm getting old... The writing was hugely enjoyable to read and definitely sucked me into the story with its capability to brighten characters and whisk the plot along at a brisk pace.

Prodigy is a exhilarating, highly enjoyable sequel that has broad appeal and super-likeable characters. Think Percy Jackson, but two of them!

Rating in HP Terms: Exceeds Expectations
Recommended for: fans of The Hunger Games, Divergent, dystopian, fun action-filled YA
Acknowledgements: 4/5

8.9/10 – because although there’s something that stopped me from falling head over heels for this fabulous novel, I can sit here all day and sing it praises. I adored the characters, the writing and plot were both compelling, and it was a fascinating look into a dystopian world. With plenty of exciting action, romance, political intrigue, and sticky situations, Prodigy is a sequel I’m infinitely glad to say didn’t disappoint!








*this seems to be a common thing according to the reviews I'm skimming right now on Goodreads

source: publisher

author website / twitter
Legend series website

6 comments:

  1. I am so relieved that this book doesn't suffer from second book syndrome.

    I'm with you when I say that I remember I really liked Legend but wouldn't be able to tell you what actually happened. Hopefully there's enough repeating of what just happened for me to understand.

    I'm pumped to read this! It's literally in my room and I will start devouring it as soon as I finish my current book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahhaa I feel that's the case for so many people :D I think you just have to sit down and commit, because after a few pages the book will suck you in.

      Delete
  2. I totally know what you mean about forgetting what happened at the end of Legend. That's where I am at with this book too but I'm pretty sure that if you loved it I will too! Especially since the characters continue to grow and develop. Marie Lu earns major brownie points for defeating the second book syndrome! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'm finding that's the case for me for SOO many series these days.. and there's fighter jets!

      Delete
  3. oh, mate, i seriously can't wait for this one now. i have almost forgotten the first book by now, except how addictive it was. i am on the waiting list at my library for this and i kind of regret not just buying my own copy ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely addictive, and Day and June just make me happy-sigh with their angst-y problems.. oddly enough. Yep, I think I'd rec borrowing it from the library to most people too. It's nice to see you around Nomes, I missed you and your blogging!! :)

      Delete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*