Saturday, December 8, 2012

Winter reading!

Heyo lovely people who've unfortunately accidentally clicked on some sort of link to my blog.

Quick facts:
source

I have 5 final exams, I'm studying really hard, my brain has more information to soak up than it has time for, I'm tired all the time, I haven't done any reading for fun in over a month, and I'm really really really really excited for Christmas break and a break from school. whew!

And in anticipation for that break, and of course, in a fit of procrastination (old habits die hard) I've made a list to get me ever more jazzed up for the break because hello... reading time!! And over the 4 months, I've seriously built up too many must-read books that I haven't gotten around to. If I even manage to knock 3 of these off my to-read list later this month, I'll be happy.

Books I want to get around to reading this winter break:

The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling
-I've been reading the mixed reviews and there's always people who've decided they're not worth reading... but this is the author who gifted the world with Harry Potter. I've gotta see what she's got in store for us.

Quintana of Charyn by Melina Marchetta
-OHHHH my god I preordered this in October and it's been on my shelf since then. I've only read one book between getting it though, so it's not like I've just been prioritizing awfully. And I really do want to read through at least part of Froi before starting this baby. Oh baby.

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
-Both Angie and Alexa totally raved about this book, and I'm still not over how much The Scorpio Races surprised me with its awesomeness.. and this book looks great. Period. I can't wait to read it.

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
-So... this book has over 75,000 ratings on Goodreads and the average is like, 4.5. That's insane. I went to Patrick's reading/signing in Toronto on a whim and he was funny, super nice (he chatted and posed with everyone who showed up, and there were a lot of people), and just seemed like a great person. And it helps that people think his books are amazing :) It's quite a hefty book, it's definitely in a genre I'm not too familiar with (high fantasy) but I'm very excited to give it a try if I have the time.

The Hobbit by JRR Tolkein
-Eep! The movie! I'm so excited! The Lord of the Rings trilogy (movie that is... I haven't read the books) are my favourites of ALL TIME. So naturally, I'm super stoked for the Hobbit, and it seems like the book is a bit shorter and easier to read.. so I'll be hopefully doing that soon. And then again, I'm probably going to read it after I watch the movie so I'll be more surprised for the movie :)

Cinder by Melissa Meyer
-I know. It's been too long. It's shown up quite a bit on best-of lists as well, which makes me happy.

Going Bovine by Libba Bray
-So Libba came to do a signing in Toronto in November and I jumped at the chance to go. Her signing was probably one of the funniest, most entertaining ones I've been to. This book won the Printz a few years ago... I can't believe I haven't read it yet.



I love reading best-of-2012 lists but I dont' want to make one yet because I'm convinced the best book this year I haven't read yet *cough*allthosebooksinthispost*cough*

Hopefully I'll find a favourite.

Please, exams, just be over. I need my sanity back. I need my sleep.

Best,

Audrey

13 comments:

  1. I'm also thinking bout reading the casual vacancy~
    *high fives* (although I have no winter here lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Cinder is so so good, one of the best I've read this year. Good Luck in your exams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh really? I've been putting it off for an unbelievably long time now... haha

      Delete
  3. THE RAVEN BOYS!!! YES. That book was fantastic!
    Good luck with your finals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe I'm reading it right now!!! I'm REALLY liking it... or perhaps I just adore the way Maggie Stiefvater is explaining those boys.. thank you lady!

      Delete
  4. I'm also trying to get to raven boys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I didn't even know Going Bovine won the Printz...I was super-disappointed with that book, but then again tastes vary, right? Good luck with your exams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True true, I've read a lot of mixed things about it too. I feel like I should at least give it a shot, and it's been around for ages now :p thank you!

      Delete
  6. I hope you love The Raven Boys as much as I did. The Hobbit is also great and my husband just saw the movie and said it's really good, but a little long.

    Good Luck with the exams and have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, I'm really enjoying it so far :) I just watched The Hobbit tonight, I LOVED IT :D I agree that maybe one or two spots dragged but it was sooo nice to be back in Middle Earth :) Thank you, and you too!

      Delete
  7. good luck on finals. i made myself a reading list for break , too. we'll see how far i get. i hope you like cinder. it's one of my faves.

    thuy @ nite lite

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*