Saturday, August 11, 2012

BR: The Disenchantments

by Nina LaCour

This is another mini-review! Mostly my immediate thought that I posted to goodreads after finishing the book.
I adored LaCour's debut, Hold Still, so she's been an author I've kept my eye on ever since.

Summary (goodreads)

Colby and Bev have a long-standing pact: graduate, hit the road with Bev's band, and then spend the year wandering around Europe. But moments after the tour kicks off, Bev makes a shocking announcement: she's abandoning their plans - and Colby - to start college in the fall.

But the show must go on and The Disenchantments weave through the Pacific Northwest, playing in small towns and dingy venues, while roadie- Colby struggles to deal with Bev's already-growing distance and the most important question of all: what's next?
**

My (short) thoughts:

The Disenchantments is kind of like Zooey Deschanel.

I like Zooey, I really do. She's pretty awesome. But sometimes I think she goes a bit overboard with the quirky, a bit too try-hard. But other than that, she's pretty cool.

That silly simile aside, I really liked the way LaCour tackled the themes in this book. There is nothing really unfamiliar in the subject matters dealt with in this novel, but the author really did exceed my expectations in the way she carefully explored these themes and depicted unexpected realities of growing up. About finding yourself and the vast unknowing thing of a "future", the feeling of doing the right thing or wanting to.. all very familiar feelings.

The characters were interesting, but I was fond of Colby's growth more than him as an individual. Bev was fascinating because I could both resent her for her decisions yet they made perfect sense in my head. The plot was alright (but sometimes overboard with aforementioned quirkiness and unlikely coincidences) and the writing was lovely. I also loved the fact that despite all the touring, the all girls band kind of sucked.
We all want to feel something, we want to be someone to one another.
Rating in HP Terms: Acceptable/Exceeds Expectations
Recommended for: road trip enthusiasts, contemp fans :)
Acknowledgements: loved! 5/5

8.3/10 - because while it hit all the right notes, it didn't really resonate with me. I thought the process of the book, the necessary stuff-- lovely writing, carefully plotted character development, quirky side characters, symbols-- was all there, but I was never head over heels (sadly). While it won't go down as the most memorable read, I'll happily say that The Disenchantments is a fantastic escapism novel that's perfect for summer.








source: library
author twitter / website

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked this one because I've been looking forward to reading it. And your simile was just too awesome; high five :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved how terrible The Disenchantments were at playing music too. It just made them more interesting ;)

    Nice review! This book was definitely a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, love the Zooey comparison! I agree with your review, I like the way LaCour handled her themes too & they're currently issues I'm facing with in real life. I love that the all girls band sucked too and they reminded me of the Dum Dum Girls (the girl band thing with the ~tights~, not the sucking). Wonderful review, Audrey x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much :) I can't wait for whatever LaCour writes next :)

      Delete
  4. I think that LaCour did a really great job and agree that almost everything was there, but there's just that one thing lacking. Maybe that special something that makes the characters people that I really really cared about. There was that one guy, Jared (?) who was cool but had no screentime, and some of the band members just faded into the background, and neither Colby or Bev really did it for me. The quirkiness makes them feel less.. human, believable. Loved the ending though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess, something was lacking but I just couldnt' figure it out! I think you're right about the characters because I can't remember any of their names very well apart from Colby and Bev.. but hey, I might just suck and names. yes, the ending was great! :D

      Delete
  5. I've been wanting to read this. I've heard mixed things about it, but I'll still read it when I have time. I looove how you described it was kind of like Zooey Deschenal. That made me laugh. I agree with you; I love her, but I think she goes overboard sometimes.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*