Saturday, August 4, 2012

an ode to FINN

I wanted to dedicate this post to the brothers in YA novels named Finn who never fail to be awesome. Oh hi, your name is Finn? Here's a ticket to my heart. Not even kidding.



Finn from Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John

I feel like my keyboard will break from the number of less-than-threes I want to type, he's supportive and just a superb younger brother. I loved that he would always help out Piper and that sometimes he was a brat and troublemaker but has a heart of gold.





Finn from In Honor by Jessi Kirby

I mean, he's dead (not a spoiler). But I still ended up loving him because of the love he extended to Rusty and how much he cared about Honor. He was thrown with so much responsibility at a young age but never backed down, and he spent his life making sure Honor could have the best one. It's just... asdkjf;alksdjf;ajl





Finn from Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

Come on, what a hero (albeit not exactly a brother). He's older and wiser beyond his years from all the stuff he's had to endure through the years, traveling and learning the history of his land. He is the one who's trying to piece his kingdom back together and he's just a freaking teenager. He's basically awesome.





Finn from The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Perhaps my favourite Finn. I can't even name the number of reasons he just steals my heart, from the fact that he'll fight with Puck and he'll fight for her. He'll try and do what's best for his family and his sneaky side where he'll scam a few more November Cakes for himself. I love how Stiefvater gave him such personality and depth even when he wasn't the main character, and well, he stole some scenes for me. Love this Finn.
"One of the lines in Finn's code is that you're not to say anything about Finn being attractive to the opposite sex. I'm not sure which exact statue governs this, but it's closely related to the one that won't let you thank him. 
Something about compliments and Finn don't work."


Which basically concludes I really should name my kid Finn, eh? And of course, please mention any other Finns I have forgotten and deserve to be on the list :)

[edit] HOW COULD I FORGET FINNICK ODAIR HOWWWW <3 (thanks elena for the reminder!)

14 comments:

  1. I haven't read a SINGLE one of these books. How sad is that? :( Lol. Finniken of the Rock and The Scorpio Races are both in my to-read pile though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES. FINN. THE SCORPIO RACES. WANTS.
    I did not realize the awesome of Finn's until now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the books you mentioned either, but Finn sounds like a great name - and character!
    There's a Finn in Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park and he is AWESOME! He's not the main hero (not really), but still... AWESOME! I ADORED that book, you should give it a try if you haven't read it yet. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHH I've been wanting to read that for a long time! And Finn for supporting characters is still a great name

      Delete
  4. I LOVE Finn from Shannon Hale's Enna Burning, second book to The Goose Girl. SUCH amazing books-- I read them when I was 12 and they're still my favorite fantasy novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that series but I've been meaning to! i've heard so much about them.

      Delete
  5. Finn is a great name. I haven't read any of the books on the list (yet) but two of them are on my TBR list. I am really looking forward to The Scorpio Races and Finnikin of the Rock. Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes read them!!! both are amazing, hope you get a chance to soon :)

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to get to know Finn from Finnikin of the Rock! I think my favourite Finn is Finnick Odair. I am very into his narrative + his relationship w/Annie.

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*