Tuesday, May 15, 2012

what I want to Read Right now

*It's odd to think that when I look back at this post, I'll be looking back at a certain frame of mind I had when I was 18, but anyway, here it goes.


   


At 14, I think I wanted the next Twilight. I wanted to read about the knight in shining armour and the boy who held doors open for the girls. I wanted to read about the Mary Sues whom I could pretend to take the place of, and I wanted to read about first love and kisses and butterflies.


At 16, I think I wanted more of what I didn't have in real life (2010 in my blog archives, if you're interested). I desperately wanted to be older, I wanted to read about older teens who weren't obsessed with freshman boys-- I wanted books with more intense relationships and family and something that felt more insightful and profound than the mundane routine of high school. I still wanted the swoony boy, but I wanted a complex, moody swoony boy. Oh how I look back fondly at those years, I feel a part of me is still 16.


At 18, which is how old I am now, I know want a different type of book. I've found a niche in contemporary YA fiction, but I'm looking more and more for upper YA books, for the New Adult titles I have yet to really immerse myself in. I'm looking for real relationships-- I'm admittedly getting sick of the "one true love" type thing, I want to read about break-ups and people's lives moving on and leaving people who were once important behind. I'm no longer the biggest fan of the protagonist finding the guy in high school. I want to read about how bad timing sometimes sucks and how sometimes you can't get the guy you want or the best things out of life. I want to read about the tougher, harder-to-swallow truths of life and the unfairness of our world and how sometimes you can be as optimistic and idealistic as you want but things won't go your way. I know, it sounds kind of morbid and depressing but it just feels as if it's been too long since I read a book that really got my frame of mind-- don't get me wrong, I'm reading fabulous books about very interesting topics, it's just that there hasn't been a book that's dug deep into my brain and felt like it was putting my thoughts onto paper. It's always something that I'm not too unfamiliar with-- the tragic past, the grief, the boy, the best friend.. give me something new. I'd like to read some of that.

And I guess we'll see what I want at 20.

-

And of course, I'd love to know the perfect 'you' type of book you'd like to read right now. Leave it in the comments!









*don't worry, I find it exceedingly bizarre that I'm writing a discussion post too. but it's late and I just posted it so whatevs.

16 comments:

  1. You just described Laura Buzo's Holier Than Thou. Get on it! I also want to read more older YA (new adult) that isn't always perfect and adorned with butterflies and rainbows, isn't always a happily ever after, is full of life's woes and truths. You explained it SO well.

    I'm also leaning towards high fantasy. Luckily the genre seems to be climbing a bit. If you'd asked me a few years ago, I would have thought of fantasy and been totally put off by it (other than Harry Potter).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I NEED TO READ LAURA BUZO'S BOOKS! AHH definitely added that to my wishlist, thank you for the rec!

      And I apart from the super-mainstream fantasy books (Bitterblue) I haven't read many lately, i should get on that too

      Delete
  2. Try Tatiana and Alexander series by Paullina Simons :):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is me as well! I'm still not drawn to the adult section but a lot of YA novels don't really appeal to me as much as they did before. I think I'm going to stick to YA classics, like Hunger Games, and ride the wave until New Adult becomes more popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I'm just toeing the line, I want to read some adult books but haven't actually gone out there to look for books I want (apart from what everyone recommends which has crossover appeal). Yes with those YA classics, I'm hoping for more NA books in the future :) it needs to become a trend!

      Delete
  4. Grreat post, Audrey! I just finished a Sarah Dessen book (last night) and I can say that I never get sick of them. Gosh, I love Sarah Dessen. It's still nice to dream of that "one true love" ;)) It always differs to me what I want to read though I must agree with moving on to the contemporaries, the complex relationships. It's always good to read about the unfamiliar. :))))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justine!! Oh gosh, I could never get sick of Sarah Dessen, no matter how old I get :D

      Delete
  5. love love this post! My trajectory isn't the same as yours (tried to read a lot of classics/adult during middle & high school) but now I read mainly YA. I totally get what you mean about the books you want to read at 18. Maybe you can try Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami? He's an author who I really feels puts my thoughts on paper. It does have grief in the story but I think it's done well. It's a very popular book in Japan, it's kind of their version of Catcher in the Rye (but the books aren't similar, just coming of age) as in everyone in their 20s has read it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's actually so interesting, because I didn't read many classics in high school (pretty much none at all, though a few modern classics like To Kill a Mockingbird) but went straight to YA. I've been hoping to get myself to read a few of the classics though, because sometimes it feels like i'm missing out. I just added Norwegian Wood to goodreads, thank you so much!! I'll definitely try to get my hands on it, it looks really really good :) xx

      Delete
  6. Love this post, Audrey!

    Even though I'm 14 (15 in July :), I loved your 16 year old description, and that's sort of what mine would be right now. Maybe because I went through all the Twilight-esque books when I was only 11. I guess mine would be pretty much your 16 year-old description with maybe a bit of the first-kiss, first-love thing. I've pretty much always read about characters who are 15-17, and I sometimes wish that the books written about 14 yr olds weren't so... bland. But now that I'm finishing my first year of high school, I find I can connect way more to the characters I'm reading about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chloe! And I had a feeling that everyone reading this would have their own version of 'read right now', I still really like the books I loved at 16, I don't think I'll be growing out of that anytime soon, i just wouldn't mind something a bit different. And I know what you mean, i actually kind of avoid books with protags younger than.. 15-16? Definitely an issue with connecting with the characters.

      Delete
  7. Right at this exact moment I want a book that's romance-y but in a way where the connection between the two characters is palpable, yet it takes time to grow. I'm sick of the insta-connection or the True Love like you talked about. I want to read about a real feeling relationship where you just know the characters should be together, but it's not just this force bringing them together.

    In a more general sense I think I'm more willing to read about those tough issues or books that are more sad or realistic, as long as there's hope to them in the end. I still don't like books that are only depressing and grim with nothing else to them. But yah, I definitely will read more serious books than I did in high school, or heck, even compared to a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes yes! I want a book like that too. And I still actually really like reading about the tough issue books, I think I made the jump from more MG-YA to gritty books pretty quick. huh. Thanks for the comment Ashley!

      Delete
  8. Seems like I'm in the middle of changing my reading tastes. I just can seem to get into the books that I know I usually like. ... Like I can't read cute contemporary romance right now. My mind is just blown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I seriously need to be in a specific mood for cute contemp, I usually just can't settle down with them. I hate not being able to get into books I used to though :(

      Delete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*