Wednesday, May 16, 2012

weepy kids Books

Today's post is inspired by YA Highway's Road Trip Wednesday, the topic was "what book brings back memories" and I'm never one to skip a case of nostalgia, plus I had a super-rough draft of this post already...

I think I had a heart of stone as a kid, I pretty much never cried over things I probably should cry about, but instead wasted away my tears arguing with a typical older brother. And yeah, it's been done before countless times, but I'm in a list mode.




BOOKS THAT MADE ME CRY AS A KID (as in, before I was 12) which of course, brings back so much nostalgia and also brings back memories.


Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

  • I just want to go duuuuuude and shake this book in the air. Who hasn't read it? I was totally not expecting the ending and then the tears were falling. Good thing I was reading this at home, not sitting in my seventh grade classroom.







Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

  • Seriously, does this need an explanation? It will always be the very first book that pops into my head when I think "tearjerker" and it's pretty much a childhood classic.






The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

  • *sniff* this is still one of my absolute favourite books, I read this when I was 12 but I still adore it and get sad when I remember certain things



.. And that's it. That's all I can think of, at the moment. I'd love to know what books made you cry as a kid :) And that's right, I actually didn't cry during Charlottes Web.

10 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, but I don't think any book made me cry as a kid. But there were books and characters that I enjoyed as a youngster (BOBBY BREWSTER comes to mind). And some that were my go-to books when I was in a bad mood, or had been sent to my room for being a pig-headed brat (happened all too often). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha books weren't high on my to-cry-at list either :P Awh, I have a go-to stack of books for bad moods too!

      Delete
  2. I don't tend to cry a lot over books — it's movies that will more often make me start tearing up. (The movie Where the Red Fern Grows *and* its sequel sure did!) But a couple books that did make me cry when I was younger: The Baby Project by Sarah Ellis and The Nine Days Queen by Karleen Bradford (haha, I wasn't familiar with the story of Lady Jane Grey the first time I read this and didn't really realize this book would be accurately following history anyway...boy was I in for a surprise with the ending!). Also Love You Forever by Robert Munsch, although when I was quite young I'm told this book actually creeped me out. I read it again later when I was older and it totally made me cry :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god, I would be helpless to my tears if I saw the movie adaptation of REd Fern... oh gosh..
      I actually never read (or heard of, to be honest) those books before (except for Robert Munsch! hehe, oh nostalgia!)

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, The Outsiders was the first to make me cry as a kid! At least I think so. I had to read it in class and I fought the urge to cry and then at home I reread the part because I actually wanted to let it all out! Haha. I was weird, I know. Great post, Audrey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. waaaah I was furiously pretending I wasn't crying when I read TO for the first time :P Thanks Justine!

      Delete
  4. Yikes! I generally avoid tear-jerker books, but then teachers assign books or seem to load their classroom shelves with horrors I wish we weren't subjected to. Most assigned reading I had was unpleasant because of that, but there were times when I actually liked the books.

    Island of the Blue Dolphins was a favorite of mine growing up. Heidi too, but those books didn't make me cry. Bridge to Terabithia was awful for it! AND the Outsiders. How about Tuck Everlasting? ... I wonder why the public school system is so sadistic sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old Yeller! but then again, sometimes I felt predisposed to dislike books my teachers assigned, I remember thinking I wouldn't like The Giver by Lois Lowry because it was a required reading, and only after reading it again a few years later did I love it.

      I remember Island of the Blue Dolphins, or the title.. I wish they assigned Tuck Everlasting for required reading! i Read it way back and I liked it a lot.

      Delete
  5. The Outsiders! Oh lord. I still don't know which death was sadder, I still cry at both parts when I reread it.

    I didn't read it as a kid, but when I studied The Giving Tree in Children's Lit I cried. There are lots of others, too, but I think I blocked out the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WAAAH I seriously need to own that book. And that's actually beautiful :') happy tears at your studies.

      Delete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*