Wednesday, March 21, 2012

BR: Spellbound

by Rachel Hawkins
Hex Hall trilogy; book III

AAAAHH it's out! Yay! I love this series, legit! :)

Summary (goodreads):

Just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her extraordinary magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away. Now Sophie is defenseless, alone, and at the mercy of her sworn enemies—the Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium. Or at least that’s what Sophie thinks, until she makes a surprising discovery. The Brannicks know an epic war is coming, and they believe Sophie is the only one powerful enough to stop the world from ending. But without her magic, Sophie isn’t as confident.

Sophie’s bound for one hell of a ride—can she get her powers back before it’s too late?


**
My Expectations: high!...ish! I really loved the first two books, which took me by complete surprise, yet I’ll admit I kind of went into this one forgetting everything that happened in Demonglass..eek
Delivery: it was great :D
Put-down-ability: low! Even sitting in an uncomfy chair at the bookstore, I couldn’t put it down. 2.5/10
**

My Thoughts

Wow, it’s kind of been a long time I actually physically finished a series, huh? I’m the queen of starting and never finishing these stuff, so kudos to you, Ms Hawkins, for keeping my interest ;) So.. Spellbound. SO GOOD. We can just stop here now.

Spellbound starts off right where the last book ended but I actually didn’t remember much from the cliffhanger before— however, Hawkins really caught me up quickly and not in a non-intrusive/obvious way. Just small hints here and there referencing what had happened, which was awesome

Oh, Sophie Mercer, you magical awesome hilarious girl with a dysfunctional family, you. How I’ve missed you. As per expected, Sophie was the brilliant star of this finale as the stakes are raised and she finds herself in the middle of an all-out war with both sides trying to use her as a weapon (well, ish). Tough decisions and pushed-to-the-limit-esque situations occur, and all were done very well. I think one of my absolute favourite aspects about her is her humour (duh), and how she uses it whenever she’s nervous or something—it just adds an authentic feel to her genuinely hilarious commentary.

The characters of the series have been so good so far, but I did feel apart from Sophie, there was a lack of growth from the supporting cast. More specifically for her best friends, I never really thought they changed much; they were just always there for a funny quip or support. To be honest, I never really swooned for Archer, which I found concerning. I loved the twists with Sophie’s family at the beginning and the new characters introduced, but there were times where I thought they deserved a bit more screen time instead of launching the plot.

Which brings me to the plot, and what I did feel was lacking a bit. I loved the general gist of it, with the big bad villains (great villains, btw. Awesome with the motivation and complexity etc., I love villains like this) and what turned out to be lies, but I didn’t really like the… bits between the journey, if that’s what you’ll call it. Like the transitions between mini-story-arcs weren't my favourite.



SOME MINOR SPOILERS BELOW, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!! (highlight to read)


There’s a few parts when some really almost, random, event happens to move the plot along, such as when the group suddenly found themselves back together at the school, for some reason it just felt too convenient, especially with the preceding angst. Also, the trip to hell kind of fell flat for me. However, the ending for the love triangle is actually how I *almost* hoped the love triangle in Mockingjay would have ended… yeah.. :P 



END SPOILERS



Don’t worry, spoilers were just odd plot points that bugged me, you didn’t miss much. If you don’t read this book though, you will be missing out on simultaneous genius and light-hearted writing that really was what made me fall in love with the series in the first place.  It’s brilliant and I think our protagonist Sophie alone should warrant anybody to read this fun, thrilling, fast-paced, imaginative, and ultimately lovely series*.

Rating in HP Terms: Exceeds Expectations
Recommended for: pretty much anybody, despite the slight paranormal twist, it’s a fun book that has huge appeal.
Acknowledgements: lovely and funny! 4/5

8.6/10 – because as I think I’ve now mentioned like twenty times, Sophie was amazing. Her voice and the writing completely shined and made me laugh and giggle and care for her character. The plot itself as a general arc was superb with great twists and turns, though I did find transitions between settings to be jarring and some triumphs to be unearned. I’m on board with the ending, though some parts I absolutely loved and others I didn’t. Go read this series!









*enough adjectives already!


author twitter / blog 
My reviews for book 1 (Hex Hall) and book 2 (Demonglass)

5 comments:

  1. these sound so funny and charming, but i read some of the first and didn't really click with it. Good to know that you like them though, Audrey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Sophie's voice in Hex Hall too. I must get around to reading the rest on the series!

    Great review. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I'm trying to avoid spoilers for this series, I still had to read your highlighted section and am now very interested for the resolution of the love triangle. I love Cal and loathe Archer, who is a jerk, and from what I've gleaned, I will not be happy :( Hopefully I can snag a copy of this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this series! It's soooo much fun! Plus, I adore the mc!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! We had the same feelings towards this book, it's so fun and I think Sophie is one of the most YA heroines out there. I wish more YA heroines were like her! I had similar issues with the plot but I think Rachel Hawkins' character interactions made up for it. Wonderful review, Audrey. :D

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*