Saturday, January 28, 2012

to the Storytellers:


I just finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, and it was one of those books I know I'll have a difficult time reviewing. I was completely enchanted (although there are a few factors preventing a full out gush-fest), especially by the prose-- which I found positively magical. I really did, and it will always be the thing that I'll remember most clearly about this wonderfully imaginative book.

Here's a quote that struck me as I was reading.. it's truth. Everything-- the importance, the listener, the magic in words.. I thought you guys would like it.


“I tell stories,” he says. It is the most truthful answer he has.

“You tell stories?” the man asks, the piquing of his interest almost palpable.

“Stories, tales, bardic chronicles,” Widget says. “Whatever you care to call them. The things we were discussing earlier that are more complicated than they used to be. I take pieces of the past that I see and I combine them into narratives. It’s not that important, and this isn’t why I’m here—”

“It is important,” the man in the grey suit interrupts. “Someone needs to tell those tales. When the battles are fought and won and lost, when the pirates find their treasures and the dragons eat their foes for breakfast with a nice cup of Lapsang souchong, someone needs to tell their bits of overlapping narrative. There’s magic in that. It’s in the listener, and for each and every ear it will be different, and it will affect them in ways they can never predict. From the mundane to the profound. You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone’s soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose. That tale will move them and drive them and who knows what they might do because of it, because of your words. That is your role, your gift…. There are many kinds of magic, after all”


16 comments:

  1. I fell in love with that book, and that quote you've included I wanted to highlight or underline - not that i would desecrate such a beautiful book, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say that the hype around this fella here has me wary, especially since I can never seem to find the magic in the prose everyone else is always praising, but this quote is truly lovely. Maybe I'll read it after all. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie- definitely bookmarked it when I came across it!

    Yahong- Actually, I was COMPLETELY unaware of the hype, I saw this as a Heather's Pick on Chapters' webiste, then saw it at the library. The inside cover flap summary + cover were the reasons I picked it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful prose, indeed! Love the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, I LOVE the cover as well, especially the way it fits in to the story w/ the colours! :)

      Delete
  5. oh man, that quote just made me smile. I'll deffo be looking into this book now. great quote Audrey :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the imageries this book had. The descriptions were great, but sometimes I have to say it was too overly descriptive, if that makes any sense at all. Still... good quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, I felt the author might have gotten carried away with descriptions at times, but I still enjoyed it!

      Delete
  7. I've been seeing great things about this book everywhere, and that quote just makes me want it so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! I just posted it on my facebook - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to read the quote, but my aunt made me promise not to learn anything about it before reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quote, Audrey! So true, and the prose definitely sounds beautiful. <33 I've had this on my want list for a while but I've been wavering over what kind of book this is exactly, haha. Idk if that makes sense, but next time I go book shopping (for once in a long, long time) I'll definitely have to look more into it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I need to reread this already. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey! Audrey! So I finished the book this weekend. finally! :D
    The end: I like the idea. But I don't really understand how Celia gave the part she was carrying to Bailey. But it is a romantic end. being "frozen" forever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That quote is amazing! I've got this book on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*