Wednesday, December 21, 2011

faves of 2011: the SCENES

The Faves of TwentyEleven series is hosted by the lovely Nomes of Inkcrush fame :) It's an awesome best-of/wrapt-up feature that I'm so excited to be participating in. Today, we're doing the SCENES!!
Previously: the covers, the random





1. best first chapter


Split by Swati Avasthi

Directly from my review: “Starting with one of the most captivating first chapters I’ve read in a long time” haha… oh man, it just set the tone and the essence of the book perfectly.




2. best climax

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, because it’s not the typical type of climax you would expect. It grows gradually and then suddenly it feels like you were punched in the gut and the wind’s knocked out of you and you’re crying and everything is just… oh.







3. best ending

I adored the ending for I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan… oh *le sigh*. It made me happy; definitely some much needed karma!


Honourable mention: The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater.. was there anything more perfect (ish)? Also, Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins-- cliffhangers aren't usually my thing but this one was damned good.




4. best plot twist/revelation (no spoilers!)

Across the Universe by Beth Revis (I wasn’t a huge fan…though that was quite a twist)

In addition, Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta (this book is just full of plot twists, which just made it that much more awesome)






5. scariest/most disturbing scene

There’s some pretty messed up shit that goes down in Nothing by Janne Teller…

Honourable mention: Ordinary Beauty by Laura Wiess, because it was definitely disturbing—a no holds barred disturbing portrayal of a broken childhood.





6. steamiest scene (or sweetest/sexiest kiss award)

I just finished Saving June by Hannah Harrington.. so that Jake/Harper scenes is pretty fresh in my mind… ;) Tied with Saving June is Raw Blue by Kirsty Eager, which is pretty damn sexy as well.

And sweetest kiss probably goes to Piper and Ed in Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John… oh the swoon!!!!




7. best swoon-worthy moment

I think I’m giving this one to Charlie and Dave from A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley for the whole book… no, seriously.

Moment/scene wise…. I just finished rereading Blood Red Road by Moira Young, and there’s this one kissing scene which is rough, gritty and oh so swoony!

Honourable mentions: like everything in Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins and all the Andi/Virgil awesomeness in Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly


8. biggest nail-biting moment

I really loved the last race scene of The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater.. I was pretty tense and emotionally attached at that point. I feel obligated to mention my love for Sean and Corr in every recap, it seems.


Honourable mentions: all the intense scenes in Divergent by Veronica Roth, and pretty much the entirety of Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta. The cage moments in Blood Red Road by Moira Young were pretty damn fierce too.



9. most hilarious scene


Not a scene, per se, but definitely some of those letters from Feeling Sorry for Celia by Jaclyn Moriarty!

Honourable mentions: Can I also add everything in Beauty Queens by Libba Bray? The footnotes were an especially awesome touch. In addition, there were some truly laugh out loud moments in Babe in Boyland by Judy Gehrman.

(yes, I do know that today’s category is ‘scenes’ but I’m having too much fun breaking the rules)



10. most heart-breaking/tear-jerker moment

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. I was in tears at the end, and anyone who’s read the book will know exactly what I mean.


Honourable mentions: In Saving June by Hannah Harrington, there’s a part at the very end in which the tears started flowing…  In The Demon’s Surrender by Sarah Rees Brennan, there’s also this scene between Nick and Alan that made me cry. A scene at the end of Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys in which you would think my eyeballs were taps.  There were more than a few heart-breaking moments in Split by Swati Avasthi, as well as A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley.

Whew, that was quite a list!


BONUS: favourite meet cute


I feel like all the books I read have characters that meet in pretty intense circumstances (seriously, someone is always trying to kill the other)… I’m seriously drawing a blank here!

**

And stay tuned tomorrow where I list my faves of 2011: the characters edition! What I'd love to know from you is the answer to the bonus question (that I apparently couldn't think of an answer for!) What's your favourite meet cute in a YA book? 







ps~ I thought you might be wondering why Where She Went by Gayle Forman... which is just brilliant... isn't on my lists! It's because I read it in 2010! Or it just might be dominating :P

9 comments:

  1. Their is way too many good books! I really want to read 'a little wanting song'. Across the universe was amazing as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put Harper and Jake for Steamiest Scene too, and A Little Wanting Song for Swoon-Worthy Moment.

    Am so glad to see Feeling Sorry For Celia on your list. I love that book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the love for A Little Wanting Song - it's such a great book and the end of The Scorpio Races I was so, so tense, nothing could have made me put that book down and I cried too, the last scene is perfect. Ah Sean Kendrick <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read 'A Little Wanting Song' last night! Charlie & Dave are so adorable, I wish I could pretty much just have a book of their relationship, because it is so cute.

    Hmmmmmm meet cute. I guess Anna & Etienne in the hallway was pretty funny and adorable, with her reaction to him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ALSO yay for more Scorpio Races love! <3

    And I totally need to read Jaclyn Moriarty next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Or it could be because you've finally accepted that ADAM is MINE! hehehe

    Gah! I've been wanting to read I'll Be There since you first reviewed it way back when. *kicks self*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigh, I agree with what you said about A Monster Calls. The climax is a build up of the events of the book and it goes straight to your heart. Good to know that you loved the ending of I'll Be There, I got a copy of that from my Book Blogger Holiday Swap Santa so I'm excited to read it. Loved the ending of The Scorpio Races too, I thought it was perfect. And I was worried about the race as well because I wanted both Sean and Puck to win. I agree with the steamy scenes in Saving June, I thought those were very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feeling Sorry For Celia is awesome - although only my 3rd favourite Moriarty, behind Finding Cassie Crazy and Dreaming of Amelia which are phenomenal.

    I found Nothing WAY too disturbing to enjoy on any level - really weird book.

    Definitely interested in reading A Monster Calls; I love Dowd's stuff and am intrigued to see what Ness has made of it. Lots of people (like yourself) whose opinions I trust seem to love it, which is a very good sign. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO many of these books are on my wishlist or in my TBR pile. Split, Saving June and I'll be There are the ones I really want to get to soon. Great list!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*