Tuesday, December 20, 2011

faves of 2011: the RANDOM

The faves of twentyeleven series is hosted by Nomes at Inkcrush!! Today I'm doing "the Randoms" which has like, the best categories ever :) I am doing the categories backwards, ending with the books as the big finale (which is why I'm doing 'the random' today while everyone else is doing 'the characters'... fear not, tomorrow we will match!). Have I mentioned how much I enjoy lists?





1. fave first sentence

It is the first day of November and so, today, someone will die.
-The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater




2. fave book title 

Anna Dressed in Blood
by Kendare Blake

Honourable mentions: A Little Wanting Song (Cath Crowley), Like Mandarin (Kirsten Hubbard) and Between Shades of Gray (Ruta Sepetys)








3. fave reading experience (ie: created a great reading memory)

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Because I feel like I unknowingly fell in love with it.

Honourable mention: Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta and A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley, because every few chapters I would actually stop and think, "this book is amazing."
On a different note, I’d add Enclave by Anne Aguirre because I fell asleep a record 6 times while trying to read it… lol



4. book with the best food in it (made you so crazy-envious-hungry)

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally, hands down.

Oh my gosh, it just made me crave grease and carbs, om nom noms!

5. book with the most sensual weather (made you shiver/sweat)

Blood Red Road by Moira Young

I swear I could taste the dust in my mouth, does that count?



Honourable mention: Like Mandarin by Kirsten Hubbard, you don’t call it the wild winds of Washokey for nothing…






6. most embarrassing book cover (feeling sheepish in public or just plain ugly)

Not that Kind of Girl by Siobhan Vivian

Oh man, please get rid of that kissy face. UGH. Because that book was amazing.





7. can’t believe you waited this long to read the book (!)

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins!

Granted, it was only like a couple months but the worst decision ever; this book is just pure fabulousness.








8. book you'd give your mum/sister to read

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

9. book you'd give your dad/brother to read

Divergent by Veronica Roth
or Split by Swati Avasthi

Non-YA: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson



10. book you'd like to give your past-self to read (ie, me, when I was 15)


Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard (released in 2012)

It was the perfect book for me at the absolutely perfect time… so yeah, I sort of cheated for this question, heh.




11. book that lived up to (or superseded the hype)

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins!



12. book you stayed the latest to finish (confess!!!)

Split by Swati Avasthi


True story—I stayed up till 3:30 in the morning finishing it. On a school night!





13. book you were *dying* to get your hands on the most

Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta

-this book is brilliant.


14. fattest brick of a book you read (by page count)

Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta

--a 600 page BEAST


15. killer cliffhanger award

Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta—that ending was just cruel, woman!



Hounourable mention: Delirium by Lauren Oliver
…totally self explanatory for those who’ve read it!


***

So that's my list.. my question to you (and one of my fave q's of this list!) is #4... what's the book with the best food in it that YOU'VE read? I'd love to know!!!

10 comments:

  1. So much Froi love! I borrowed it from the library a week ago, and I know it'll be amazing, but I can't make myself read it. It's just so HUGE I read for an hour and hardly make a dent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that first sentence (must get to reading the book :))

    i stayed up late for Split too

    love all your taste in books <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent list! Especially Blood Red Road. I've yet to read The Scorpio Races, but I am really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scorpio races by maggie Stiefvater
    http://ghostofthestill.blogspot.com/2011/12/faves-of-2011-day-three.html

    and for the weather question
    Forever and scorpio races by Maggie stiefvater for sure While reading the scropio races I actually thought it was raining outside at one point now that is powerful writing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm, for #4 I think I'd have to go with ANNA...because of all the mentions of chocolate eclairs and Parisian treats and such :D

    Also I *so* want to read Wanderlove! Everything I've heard about it makes me think I will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, so much love for The Scorpio Races! I'm a big fan as well and you'll see it mentioned several times in my Faves of Twenty-Eleven post today (as well as yesterday) even if we're not covering the same topic. :P

    Anna and the French Kiss is a lot of fun, right? It was one of my favorite reads last year and I've been recommending it to friends ever since. I already have a copy that I plan to give as a Christmas gift to a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm ashamed to say that I STILL have not read a Marchetta novel. :( Poor me. I know I'm missing out.

    Also, man, that IS an awesome first line from the SCORPIO RACES. Maggie Stiefvater is just so full of win. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes! That is a killer first sentence, literally!

    And oh, noes. Does Marchetta really go there with a cliffie? My heart just broke. Good thing I haven't started the series yet.

    And yeah, the cover for Not That Kind has got to go. It looks like she is sniffing his breath. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, yes, to No 3 - it was the best reading experience!!!

    I can not wait for Froi, it looks so good.

    And I must read Anna Dressed in Blood!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omigawshhhh Scorpio Races is just so good. And yes I did not expect to love it at all, so it was just so awesome.

    Best food = probably 'Sixteenth Summer'... is that the title?! Anyway, her family owns an ice cream shop and she was always inventing new flavours and my gosh it was all so delicious and made me crave ice cream like woah. OH and the November cakes in Scorpio Races. Omigosh they sound so good.

    Ahhhh the Not That Kind of Girl cover is SO horrible! And yes the book is so good, it's a travesty to have that cover on it.

    Froi!! Eep, I have it from Netgalley and I'm so excited (I mean, it is a Melina Marchetta book after all), but I am so not looking forward to a cliffhanger, and it's SO LONG.

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*