Thursday, December 22, 2011

faves of 2011: the CHARACTERS


The Faves of TwentyEleven series is hosted by Nomes at Inkcrush! It feels like everything so far has been a warmup (covers, randoms, scenes) but now it’s time to pull out the big guns.




1. favourite female main character

Charlie Duskin from A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley.

Because I loved her. You didn’t ask who wins the trophy for the best female lead or the strongest protagonist.. it’s picking favourites and she’s mine.



2. favourite male main character

It’s a three way tie between:

1) Froi from Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta, because she redeemed him from that awful act in Finnikin and so much more
2) the immortalized Sean Kendrick from The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater who I can’t get out of my head still.
3) the utterly charming, dangerous, and dishonest Alan Ryves from The Demon’s Surrender, because I think Angie said it best—“My love for this boy is utterly indecent”

Honourable mentions: Cas from Anna Dressed in Blood, Cassel from Red Glove, Jack from Blood Red Road, Jace from Split.



3. best couple <3


Charlie and Dave from A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley

It was hard to choose just one, but these two have won it all, apparently. They’re achingly good characters on their own and devastatingly good together.  I loved their relationship and mishaps and subtlety of this romance that comes heavy with emotion instead of sex.

Honourable mentions (prepare yourself): Anna and Etienne (Anna and the French Kiss), Andi and Virgil (Revolution), Carly and Ryan (Raw Blue), Tris and Four (Divergent), Saba and Jack (Blood Red Road), Sin and Alan (The Demon’s Surrender), Kat and Hale (Uncommon Criminals), Lucy and Ed (Graffiti Moon), Bria and Rowan (Wanderlove), Puck and Sean (The Scorpio Races), Froi and Quintana (Froi of the Exiles), Harper and Jake (Saving June).

Wow.

Yeah. I know. I am a fan of YA romance. And there are more couples, seriously.


4. who i so want to be best friends with

I’ve gotta stick with my choice from my half-year list… Anna from Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins.


Honourable mentions: Jordan (Catching Jordan) and Bria (Wanderlove)






5. who i fell completely in love with (new literary crush)

Oh hey there, Sean Kendrick (The Scorpio Races by Maggie Steifvater), here’s the deal. At first, I was just checking you out from afar, you didn’t look so hot and I thought you were kind of an unimpressionable dick. And then somehow I ended up inside your head and everything started changing and I was getting caught up in your relationship with your horse of all things (your horse! Well okay, I admit, Corr is kick-ass) and then… yeah. I fell in love with you. It was odd, unexpected, but totally awesome.



6. worst (best & baddest) villain

Warner from Shatter Me

Was it weird that I wanted you in the book more, just so I could relish in your creepiness? I liked the fact that you weren’t just another stock villain, you were deliciously and charmingly unnerving.






7. best character twist (who you loved then hated or vice versa)

Emmi from Blood Red Road by Moira Young

Hey, Emmi! I wanted to kick you in the face at first. And now I really don’t. Nice job, girl.


8. best kick-arse female

Saba from Blood Red Road by Moira Young.

Because when it comes down to it, she’s more stubborn and flawed than Tris (Divergent). She’s more bad-ass than Anna (Anna and the French Kiss) and June (Legend), though maybe equally awkward. And okay, Sin (The Demon’s Surrender) can lie way better but you can’t have it all.



9. best kick-arse male

Four from Divergent by Veronica Roth

because damn I can’t stop thinking about you. I think you’ve made quite the lasting impression because I don’t remember thinking so highly of you when I was actually reading the book!

Honourable mentions: Alan from The Demon’s Surrender, Day from Legend, Froi from Froi of the Exiles, Cas from Anna Dressed in Blood (you have a sword, man).




10. broke your heart the most


Quintana from Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta

… if you’ve read the book, you’d know.

You’d know.



11. favourite pet/animal character award

Corr (The Scorpio Races)! A water horse. That’s red. And is amazing.

Super duper honourable mention: Nero from Blood Red Road, I didn’t ever think I could like a crow so much.



12. best YA parents award


Andy and Nathan from Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Infinite hearts for loving, involved, and overprotective parents.





13. favourite sibling relationship

Jace and Christian from Split by Swati Avasthi—it’s strained, tough, heartbreaking and beautifully done.


Honourable mentions: Jamie and Mae (The Demon’s Surrender), Nick and Alan (The Demon’s Surrender again!), Chase and Noah (Invincible Summer), Sam and Riddle (I’ll Be There)


It’s true, I like books about brothers



14. favourite best friends/friendship award

Kat and her awesomesauce crew in Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter. They just mesh together so freaking well, I love it! Plus, anything with W.W. Hale cannot be a bad thing.






15. best/worst character names

Hmmm, just some quick ones. I’m probably skipping the book titles, I’ll just give names.

Bad: Beatrice, Delores, Elder, Virgil, Wayland, Four, Leon, Mandy, Nailer

Good: Lucy, Piper, Finn, Cas, Andi, Bria, Rowan, Archer, Harper, Charlie, Archer, Mandarin,

On the fence: Riddle, Julliette, Sin, Froi, Mara, Gaia, Violet



Bonus: best love triangle

Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz

because it wasn’t about the girl.

**



Whew, that was quite a list. It's hard to pick favourites, and I'm pretty sure that in a week I'll be kicking myself for forgetting someone (and I'm already planning on writing a post with 'new and improved faves of 2011' or something because there are more books to be read!

Anyways, this concludes the fourth segment of this awesome series, my question to you would probably be #6, who's your favourite villain of 2011??



10 comments:

  1. I agree on so many! Corr, Jace & Christian, Warner. And gosh, I REALLY need to get into Froi!

    Also, major props for remember Lola's dads' names. I just said "Lola's dads", :P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Charlie Duskin is a great character! Loved her! And I totally heart Dave too.

    I put Anna to be best friends with too and Andy and Nathan as best parents.

    I just got myself a copy of Uncommon Criminals. I loved Heist Society so am looking forward to getting another fix of them :)

    Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love your answers. <3 Especially re: Sean Kendrick, because he was just awesome, wasn't he??

    Warner is SUCH a good villain, because the things he does are despicable, but he's not all muah ha ha ha movie villain in a cape, he's all layered and complex, and you see the insecurity there at moments too. I am so interested to see where his character goes.

    Aww Nero. SO great. And I'm terrified of birds, but his character was so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlie would have been high on my list of favourite characters as well hadn't I just finished A Little Wanting Song a few hours ago (but posted my list on Tuesday) :). I just loved her!! I think I'll have to do some kind of "books I read too late to put on my favourite list" as well :).
    Also, I can't believe I forgot about Alan Ryves ...

    I left out the "best villain" category, but I would probably choose Linay from Erin Bow's Plain Kate - because he isn't one of those villains that is all bad, but you can actually understand what made him who he is now and despite his cruelty, I felt very sad for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this list! And we had the same answer for best parent :) My favourite villain? I'm trying to remember the one on my list.. Oh, I went with A from Pretty Little Liars. I'm having so much fun with this event, and I love your choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this list! And I agree with whatever books I've read. Saba really is more kickass than Tris, now that I think about it. And I love Hale from Heist Society/Uncommon Criminals. *snatches* He's totally mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved reading your justifications for your picks... so funny. I would definitely have some very similar answers to you.

    lol, and Saba from Blood Red Road? I totally wanted to punch her in the face for being so mean, but then that feeling kind of went away after awhile...

    And Four... love him so much. And I'm glad Veronica Roth said there wouldn't be a love triangle, so more pages for us to hopefully read about him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sean Kendrick! I love him. <3 It's funny because I'm currently texting with a friend and chatting on Twitter with another friend about The Scorpio Races. That book is my favorite Maggie Stiefvater. Loved that you chose Sean as your literary crush and Corr as your favorite pet (I had to choose Manchee but I could have gone with Corr if not for him) :P

    Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed reading all of your "faves" so many of these books are still on my TBR list! I found it fascinating to see who you picked for each category. I can't wait to read Shattered- it is first up on my list! The villan sounds very good (or bad) from what you wrote!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh thank goodness you have a tag for "lists" because I'll be needing this when I go book shopping ;) AHH i can't even do lists for my blog because i've been a lousy blogger and reader.! BLAH. thanks though for your list! VERY HELPFUL!!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*