Saturday, December 17, 2011

BR: Legend

by Marie Lu
Legend series; book I

To say I was looking forward to this book is an understatement, I’ve had an eye on it since April and ahhh, it looked amazing. Seriously. And look at that cover!

Summary (goodreads)

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

**
My Expectations: SO high, it looked fantastic!
Delivery: Oh, I’m crushing so hard on this book.
Put-down-ability: read it all in one sitting! 2/10
**

My Thoughts

I feel like I just needed to take a deep breath after the exhilarating ride that was Legend.  Where do I start?! There was so many things to love about Marie Lu’s debut, Legend really the type of book I’d rather be caught up in and not think about too much; honestly, as I was reading it was all just hitting me in waves with each plot twist and that just made an incredibly entertaining reading experience.

What got me for this book was that I had characters I could care about. Day and June are just likable, and through that I wanted to know what would happen to them, and I cared about what would happen to them. Some books I just find the character to be plain and unlikeable, which detracts from my affection of the book, but this was not the case. I loved Day (ahh, I always fall for the Robin-Hood-esque characters… they’re the best) and June was a worthy rival by any means.  I did feel both characters never really reached a level of depth that I could have hoped for, but they did a great job leading the story.

I loved the way Lu wrote the alternating POVs— it was just delectable. As both Day and June are geniuses, they would analyze situations and approach situations in a smart, calculated way as opposed to running in guns blazing. I loved reading about how each would notice details about the other, and the romance was totally PG and totally cute; I have always had a special fondness of girls calling guys beautiful ;) I'm definitely feel there's a huge potential for character development in the following books which I'm hugely anticipating.

The dystopian world was well thought out, I thought there was a lot of attention to detail to things like buildings and the texture and layout of the city, which I definitely appreciated. Lu managed to create distinct pictures of both the slums and the center very well. A qualm I had was that I thought the whole oppressive/secretive government was slightly unoriginal, including the plot twist, which felt a bit anticlimactic.

And man, the pacing is fantastic. There are ups and downs so it doesn’t feel like a sprint from beginning to end, but there are plenty of action scenes (I was still wishing for more) along with down time for character development, which just works. Legend is a thrilling, fast-paced and engaging dystopian novel that has extremely likable leads that leaves you dying to know what happens next.

Rating in HP Terms: Exceeds Expectations
Recommended for: fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent, and those who want a futuristic YA that has awesomesauce dribbled all over it
Acknowledgements: lovely! 4/5

8.8/10 – because the reading experience was completely awesome, I was swept up with the story and the characters from the start, and with such likable narrators it wasn’t hard to finish the book in one sitting. Lu writes incredible action scenes, but I was a bit underwhelmed with the originality of the dystopian world created. However, I can easily say Legend is an exciting book that'll appeal to a broad audience and yes, it would make a great Christmas present!









author website / deviantART / blog / twitter 

6 comments:

  1. YAYAYAY! I finally got this one from the library, and I was seriously reading all your tweets going "oh please please please let it be good!" And it is, IYO. Child, you just made my day. :D :D :D But really, it's the likeable protagonists that sold me. Definitely reading this one next. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, glad to hear you enjoyed it! I have this one on my tbr, and I'm so tempted to start reading it next after this review. It sounds awesome - especially the two POVs! Fab review, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yahong- OH YAY!!! I hope hope HOPE you like it, I always feel bad when I rec something and you end up hating it, LOL XD But anyways, can't wait to hear your thoughts, I was deffs sympathetic of both protags :)

    Liz- I hope you get a chance to read it sometime! And Day's POV is written in gold font, it's so cool! Dont' worry though, it's totally readable :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! You've totally made me want to pick this up this very moment! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mate, i loved this one too!

    and i have been seeing SO( many 'blah' reviews for it lately it's making me antsy, haha.

    so glad to see your love for this one ~ i need to get on with reviewing it myself...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see that you liked this one! I haven't seen much about it, but I have a friend who was CRAZY anxious/excited for it! :) It's definitely one I'm going to need to read soon!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*