Wednesday, November 23, 2011

BR: Graffiti Moon

by Cath Crowley

I think the cover for A Little Wanting Song has completely flooded my blog as of July… hehe). I think I mentioned how much I was dying to read Graffiti Moon.. I think I bordered on physical pain in my need for this book. And GUYS. It’s on NetGalley!!!!

Summary (goodreads)

"Let me make it in time. Let me meet Shadow. The guy who paints in the dark. Paints birds trapped on brick walls and people lost in ghost forests. Paints guys with grass growing from their hearts and girls with buzzing lawn mowers." 

It’s the end of Year 12. Lucy’s looking for Shadow, the graffiti artist everyone talks about.

His work is all over the city, but he is nowhere.

Ed, the last guy she wants to see at the moment, says he knows where to find him. He takes Lucy on an all-night search to places where Shadow’s thoughts about heartbreak and escape echo around the city walls.

But the one thing Lucy can’t see is the one thing that’s right before her eyes


**
My Expectations: So extraordinarily high it’s kind of unfair to everyone.
Delivery: I bow down to this author, I was not disappointed
Put-down-ability: e-books on the computer isn’t really my thing, but the story was really engaging. 3/10
**

My Thoughts

Remember how sometimes I freak out and fangirl and go mildly spazz-tic and then ramble on and drown your twitter feed and all that about some book I fall in love with? Hi Graffiti Moon. You’re next.

Sometimes I fall into a review rut where I decide, screw the review. I just want to talk about the book from one book blogger and booklover to the next.

There’s something enchanting about this book. The night comes alive, and twisted into it is the art and the bare souls of these characters that Crowley mercilessly splashed across the pages. Through some incredible dialogue, art, adventures and a Free Love pink VW van, I’m transported into the night and caught up with the story of Lucy and Ed.

And really, this is the time when I realize sophisticated, distinct and smart writing is something I’m not exactly suited for.

Things I Loved About Graffiti Moon

-Lucy. Here’s a protagonist who you can cheer for, who’s authentic and slightly off-center and both idealistic and realistic and it’s just.. I really want to meet her and be her best friend.

-Ed Skye. I think I could go on and on about you and how perfectly imperfect you are as a character and how you have flaws and admirable traits and so many mysteries and sometimes when your art is described, I picture you instead and I’m blown away… again.

I liked how he had hair that was growing without a plan. A smile that came out of nowhere and left the same way. That he was tall enough so I had to look up at him in my dream sequences. I really liked his T-shirts. When he asked me out he was wearing this one with a dog walking a man on a leash. And there was also this space around him. The sort of space you’d queue to get into.

...PEOPLE. A smile that came out of nowhere and left the same way. Come ON, I can't be the only one who is just in LOVE with that line.

-the one-night time frame, yet the pace wasn’t forced. There was never a lull in my attention span.

-the writing. Oh my god, the writing is just to die for. It’s lyrical and poetic and so freaking graceful, it’s full of crescendos and decrescendos and beauty with some rough edges. It's absolutely my favourite thing about Cath Crowley books.

-the art. I absolutely loved the graffiti walls and the way Crowley described it. The writing made the image come alive and it felt like it was moving around in my brain as I was reading the words. It felt more than just ‘art’, it was magical and remarkable.

-Poet: I totally fell for you.

-the backstory with the breaking of the nose :)

-the search for Shadow

-Ed’s mum, a lovely character that doesn’t even make an actual appearance

-Leo and Emma

-Leo and Jazz

-the poems

-Bert

-Glassblowing

-the memory bottles

...and some parting quotes:
I should have been straight with her from the start, but it’s too late. No wall I can paint can take us back there. And if I only have five minutes left on the roof of the free-love van with her, then I want to spend them talking to her. Because I’ll miss talking to her tomorrow.

…let me tell him that I don’t care if he doesn’t have a job. Tell him he’s still smart and funny. Tell him that some of my most beautiful glass pieces have cracks running through them and I like them anyways because of the colors.
Rating in HP Terms: Outstanding
Recommended for: seriously?
Acknowledgements: 2.5/5

9.1/10 – because ALASDLKFJAIONEF IT WAS SO AMAZING.. It might be against the norm but I enjoyed A Little Wanting Song a bit more (oh, excuse me as I go fangirl it some more) but Graffiti Moon was incredible as well. I need more Cath Crowley in my life. And you do too.








source: netgalley
author website / twitter

8 comments:

  1. OMIGOSH it's on NetGalley? I've been looking forward to reading Graffiti Moon as well, and the description of Ed just blew my away. Hair growing without a plan? A smile coming/leaving out of nowhere? *swoon*

    Okay, I'm seriously looking forward to reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A million times yes!! Soooo (etc) freaking good. I feel like I want to re-read this one already and it's not even released over here for months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! I want to reread this soon, for the end-of-year-12 stuff, but mainly because writing this amazing is so hard to come by. You picked the best quotes -- I miss all of the characters now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aahhh I can't wait to read this one. I anxiously await its release in February.

    ReplyDelete
  5. its on netgalley but been declined more than than i can count/great review

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book so much! I bought A Little Wanting Song because I've read good things from you and because I loved Cath Crowley's writing. I haven't read it yet, though. If you liked ALWS more, then I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it since I was in love with Grafitti.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HGEW^%#@#*&NBIC@I#%&@^#%(*&!&%

    This review is pretty much why I kinda totally <3 you! I read ALWS because of you. And I saw this one & have had it from Netgalley for a while, but haven't gotten a chance to read it yet and I SO want to. Like, SO incredibly bad!! But I haven't had a chance yet and now I want to call in dead to my job until I can get this book read!! I LOVE THIS REVIEW! Sigh.

    Must. Read. SOON!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "A smile that came out of nowhere and left the same way." Happy sigh.

    I really need to read this! I wasn't a HUGE fan of A Little Wanting Song, but something about this book seems a bit more "my type." I'm so excited to get my hands on this!

    Thanks for the fan-girly review, Audrey!

    -Madeleine

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*