Saturday, September 3, 2011

books I can't part With

Thanks to everyone who read and replied to my brain-spew yesterday :) Today I'll be running around doing some last minute shopping, etc (follow along on Twitter!) so I'm writing this at 12:18 in the morning so I won't feel so bad about not posting. I already made up my mind that I'll be writing a heck-load of reviews on the plane ride instead of reading (yes, I can be disciplined... I think).

However, before it comes to that, I had a post idea floating around for ages, and I initially wanted to do a vlog but I ran out of time. But a post should do just fine.

Here are a list of books I'm bringing with me to Toronto (I always have a ton of books as carry-ons because they're so heavy!) My mum bought a Sony Reader the other day (it says it's red but it's totally pink) and found out it didn't support Chinese characters! So I offered to trade with her so she can keep using the Kindle and I could struggle profusely in figuring out how the Sony Reader works (I *think* I have it working now...). I do prefer the Kindle (much better screen, reading quality, no glare) but I can't complain.

Anyways, ramble aside.... a list!


Books I Can't Bear To Part With

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
-perhaps my favourite YA book ever. I have the Aussie edition (pictured) and I think I've praised this book endlessly since reading it. A must-bring... obviously

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
-A pick-me-up if I ever need one and she's far away from home, just like me! If only I could get a St. Clair of my own...


Books I'm Bringing 2000 Miles For Other Purposes

Can I just bring all my Sarah Dessen books? She's signing in Toronto September 21 and 22 and I'm definitely going to one of those!!!! I'm bringing Just Listen and Along for the Ride, by two favourites. And yeah, I know, I'll see if I have room for The Truth About Forever... I might just bring JL and TTAF because AFTR is a hardback.


Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta
-the sequel, Froi of the Exiles is released in October and I couldn't resist bringing this book to get caught up and refreshed on Lumatere. Have you read the excerpt for Froi? Uhm, ah-mazing.

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly
-Revolution is still one of my favourite reads this year and I'm 90% sure I'll enjoy this one. It just looks amazing and everyone has the best things to say about it...

Freefall by Mindi Scott
-I got this as a RAK in July and I can't believe I haven't read it yet! I turn to it every single time it's time to pick up the next book but then pass over it for some lame reason... :p

Beatle Meets Destiny by Gabrielle Williams
-A Nomes from Inkcrush rec ;-) says it all. It looks simply fabulous.

^^ those are basically the books I'm expecting to enjoy the most :)

Review Books I'm Not Leaving Behind in An Effort To Be A Good Blogger

The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch
-looks awesome! I can't believe I haven't zoomed through it yet (I'm about a third of the way through)

Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer
-because it's been on my to-review pile for about a month... :/ Sorry, Penguin!

All my NetGalley and GalleyGrab books :) Yay!!! The Iron Knight!

Witchlanders by Lena Coakley
-FML why haven't I read this yet?

Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan
-I got this recently and it looks like a great sci-fi :)

Books I'm Not Bringing and Feel Like Crying About

The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta
-WAAAAAH. I wanted to. I wanted to SO badly but then I'd feel bad about not having Saving Francesca and I mean.. I can't bring the entire works of Melina Marchetta with me, can I? Well, I won't be passing security with such a heavy bag. Might I add I have the prettiest cover (pictured)?

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
-only because I have this on my ereader. Or I would bring this just to pet the words. No joke.

Graceling by Kristin Cashore
-this book is perhaps my ultimate comfort read. I love it.


A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley
-*sobs* I reread the entire thing the other day, I just love this book.

Small Town Sinners by Melissa Walker
-I won this in a contest and I was soooo stoked when it arrived a few days ago... however... it looks like I'm already bringing too many books :'( DAMN YOU WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS.

**

So it looks like I'm bringing 12 books, and I have a feeling I'll have to cut it down even more... *sobs* I hate parting with my books.

So my question to you is: if you're leaving for 4 months, what books do you HAVE TO bring with you?

23 comments:

  1. Well I left for California for just about 3 months and I brought a whole suitcase just full of books. Us crazy bookish people and our book obsessions right? XD Right now I would say the Lord of the Rings trilogy (because I read it once a year and its that time again :P), Hate List, Plague, Dark Water, Choker, and Forgotten. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard such amazing things about your top two.

    A pink Sony Reader? Cute! Good luck figuring it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would bring:
    - Anna&theFK obviously
    - Divergent
    - Lock&Key
    - Stealing Heaven (maybe)
    - The sky is everuwhere (maybe)

    =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I just tweeted you about my spasm that you're coming to TO. Anyway, not to be stalkerish ;)

    I would bring (how do you choose?!?!)
    Jellicoe Road
    How to be Bad
    Eleven
    The Hunger Games
    TSIE

    And a ton more LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a Kindle and I've bought a bunch of my favorite books on it so that would be the main thing I would bring if I were leaving for four months. But some of my favorite books aren't available in ebook format yet and it's nice to have paper books around, so I'd have to bring Robin Benway's "Audrey, Wait!" (my all-time favorite contemporary fiction book) and a few books I own and haven't read yet, like "Divergent" and "Bloodlines." The great thing about an e-reader, though, is that you can always buy a book and start it within a few seconds so it's not QUITE as hard to leave books behind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, first, I find it amazingly sweet that you traded your Kindle for your mom's Sony Reader (it is highly possible that I would have just been like NO, though I did buy my Kindle myself). <3

    And looking at your books tells me there are a couple here I haven't read but really, REALLY need to. I'd have to think about long and hard about your questions but... I think I'd bring The Sky is Everywhere because I have the pretty UK version with tons of colored pictures. :) As for what else I'd bring... actually, probably Soulless by Gail Carriger because I reread it a couple days ago and loved it, even more than I did a year ago or so. The others I'd need to think about, though perhaps my Redwall book for memories. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, parting with books is so saaad. Books I've read that I don't want to part with is Jellicoe Road and The Time traveler's wife.

    ReplyDelete
  8. GO. Read Witchlanders! You will love it. Also, safe travels and all that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha! I'm so lucky I go to school so close to home. I never really have to part from my books for too long. This sounds like a super tough choice!

    Are you moving to the east coast or further west?

    Anna definitely needs a reread for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd bring Anna and the French Kiss with me too! Probably also the Harry Potter books, Divergent, something Meg Cabot to cheer me up...damn. This list is gonna get long - I have no idea how I'd choose! :P. Good luck working the Sony Reader! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I HATE having to decide which books to bring! What I'd do is take only books I hadn't read (which is ALWAYS a MAJOR pain, trying to figure out which of them deserve to come) but since I use the library a lot, when I feel myself really missing one of my books I visit the library & either check it out, or just kinda... hold it for a while :P (yes I'm aware that I'm a nerd :P)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe you are leaving The Piper's Son behind. You know what that means....Thomas Mackee is all mine!

    I don't envy you having to pick between your books but I am sure you will have such an awesome time at college you will be able to survive without them for a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great question! I had to decide which books to take each year of university, although I got driven there which made things a bit less restrictive :D

    Some of the ones I took were:

    - Jaclyn Moriarty's Feeling Sorry for Celia & The Year of Secret Assignments (you know how much I love those! :D)
    - Sorcery & Cecelia by Patricia Wrede & Caroline Stevermer (one of my alltime comfort reads)
    - Pride & Prejudice
    - the Uglies series
    - Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith
    - I probably also took several books in Tamora Pierce and Meg Cabot series :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You mention Jellicoe Road everytime x) That's a sign that I must get it indeed. Oh and Anna and the French Kiss is a must bring when going off to college, for cereal!! :P

    I need to read the rest of this list. I've only read like.....5. Or less. lol x)

    You are totally going to get books downtown! Omg I wish I can come with you lolsss

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aaahhh, having to choose just a few books would kiiilll me. If I had absolutely HAD to choose only 12 like you have, I would probably choose:

    1. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
    2. I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak
    3. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
    4. Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey
    5. Watchmen by Alan Moore (graphic novel)
    6. Blankets by Craig Thomson (graphic novel)
    7. The Giver by Lois Lowry
    8. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
    9. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
    10. White Oleander by Janet Fitch
    11. This Is All: The Pillowbook of Cordelia Kent by Aidan Chambers
    12. Looking For Alaska by John Green.

    AAHH this is so hard!! I can think of another couple of dozen books I feel like I absolutely can't part with.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Doooooooooooood! I just informed Thomas about your decision to leave him behind. Let's just say he knew you weren't the one.

    Blah! It must be hard to part with so many great books. *kicks stupid weight restrictions. Good thing you got an e-reader, eh?!

    Have fun packing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. my gosh. how did you even mange this?

    i would find this incredibly incredibly hard :/

    also, YAY for taking beatle meets destiny and *please* fall in love with it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, you should've The Piper's Son - it is one of the best of 2011! Although I can't talk - Jellicoe Road has been sitting on my shelf FOREVER!

    When I went to college, I brought my Harry Potter books, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Wuthering Heights, and some histories on the Tudors (major obsession of mine at the time).

    Love your lists, and have a great first semester!

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
  19. I spent my entire college career reading romance novels and Harry Potter so that's something I'm not super proud of:) Great picks, though! I'm excited to read The Eleventh Plague as well.

    Thank goodness I don't have to make these kinds of hard choices since I got my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Man, I can't even imagine having to leave all kinds of books behind. SO SAD!! That is the only thing about eBooks that is so awesome... so very portable!

    Hmmm, for the books I couldn't leave behind, they would mostly be comfort reads and/or ones I've been wanting to re-read:
    - Divergent
    - Anna and the French Kiss
    - North of Beautiful
    - Jellicoe Road

    Plus probably a few others, but those are the ones that came to mind first.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really need to read Melina Marchetta's books. People can't say enough good things about them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohh I soooo want to read On the Jellicoe Road!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It seems like you picked some great books to bring with you! I can understand why you would want to bring The Book Thief- I love that book. At least you have it in eformat. :)

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*