Tuesday, August 9, 2011

top ten tuesday: Underrated Books

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!


** 

Oh, I love this theme, couldn't resist :) Here we go!

In no particular order (and with no proper capitalization)..


I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan

  • quietly brilliant, magical, and stunning contemporary. and i can't say enough about how much i adore the writing


Please Ignore Vera Dietz by AS King

  • gahh more people need to read this!! an amazing book with some of the most realistic characters. plus the prose is amazing and i love style and plot, plus: flow charts.


Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John

  • can i just shove this book in everyone's face? awesome characters, rock music, swoon, a great portrayal of family dynamics and a grounded deaf protagonist makes for a fantastic read


Like Mandarin by Kirsten Hubbard

  • i think you guys have heard (over and over and over) about my love for this book, it's quiet and gorgeous and romance-free but the prose is to-die-for and the characters are magnetic.


When the Stars Go Blue by Caridad Ferrer

  • intense and addicting, this book took me by complete surprise as i was bowled over by how much i loved it. there's this exciting energy and vibe to the book, seriously recommended!


Ballads of Suburbia by Stephanie Kuehnert

  • i can't tell if this is underrated because it's gotten around in the blogging world. however, i never feel bad about featuring it more because this remains one of my favourite ya contemps with its gritty take on drugs, alcohol, death and abuse. it becomes permanently seared into your mind after you finish, i dare you to prove me wrong.

Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz
  • recently read this one, man, hannah moskowitz can write boys. and i mean that in the best sense, because she can also write family and write romances and summer and quote camus. fantastic book about family, you don't want to miss this.

A Little Wanting Song by Cath Crowley

  • i think i'm addicted to this book (and i'm going to just assume it's underrated in north america, it's pretty acclaimed in australia, i believe). i think you guys haves seen this cover and me mentioning this enough in the past few weeks :p aussie authors, you guys are the best (and i just finished Graffiti Moon and it was ohmigodamazing)


Split by Swati Avasthi

  • omg can i just talk about how amazing the portrayal of the brothers, jace and christian, are? it's a book about family but it's also a book about redemption and hope and loss and it's all types of wonderful.


Not That Kind of Girl by Siobhan Vivian

  • seriously guys, this book rocks. it's smart, energetic and a great portrayal of high school. it includes themes of feminism and sexuality and the author pulls the story off with sharp writing and relatable characters, a must-read for contemp fans.


**

OH LOOK CAPS LOCK IS WORKING AGAIN. Yeah. I excused capital letters today, they needed a break. And looking at this list, these are all contemporary books *shifty eyes*

Honourable (non-contemp) mentions: 
Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken
Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (middle grade too!)
Unwind by Neal Schusterman
Ten Cents a Dance by Christine Fletcher
... fudgicles, I really am a selective/picky genre reader O.o Or I just read all the mainstream paranormals and dystopians :p

Anyways... what do you think of the list? I could seriously go on and on about underrated contemporary books, for realz. And yeah.. sorry I can't be more diverse, I know there were a few I wish I could've added to the list as well :p

28 comments:

  1. Unwind!
    it's the only book I read. An it's awesome AND underrated.
    I assume the rest of the list is equally awesome.
    I want to read Five flavors of Dumb, Please Ignore Vera Dietz and Graffiti Moon. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely list and I'm ashamed to say that I haven't read a single one of the books you mentioned, Audrey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome list. While I've heard of all of these books, I've read none but I will soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shamefully haven't read any of those books on the list - but I'll have to give some of them ago now! I really like the sound of Five Flavours of Dumb - thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on Split, Like Mandarin, Invincible Summer, Five Flavors of Dumb, and Not That Kind of Girl! The others I haven't read yet! But they are all on my to be read list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! I had not heard of Ballads of Suburbia before but it's on my to-read list now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any of these! I feel like such a terrible reader. Most of them are on my to-reads list thouth, except When the Stars Go Blue. Off to go add it!

    Here's my Top Ten: http://bit.ly/qqOf7F

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice list! Hannah M always makes me laugh on twitter.

    Check out my Top 10!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, Wanderlove is up on NetGalley (since you liked Like Mandarin).

    And sadly, I have only read 2 on this list. Well, 4 if I count the honorable mentions, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to read 'A Little Wanting Song' so bad but my library doesn't have it. Gah!

    I've read 5 of these, so that's pretty good! I totally want to read 'Please Ignore Vera Dietz' as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Huh. Some surprising choices.

    Sadly, I've read one of them. I'll have to rectify that soon. I wish I'll Be There had a better cover though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Please Ignore Vera Dietz and can't figure out why others aren't likely to read it. I have Five Flavors of Dumb on my reading list.

    Anne
    My Head is Full of Books

    ReplyDelete
  13. i have i'll be there and vera dietz on my tbr pile but i keep putting both off. heard lots great things about both. i need to get on it. great list :)

    my top ten: http://booksandmakeup.blogspot.com/2011/08/top-ten-tuesday-underrated-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I've read 3 of these and some of the others are on my list. I'LL BE THERE is suuuch a good book, isn't it? Amazing.

    Here's my IMM.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I've read 3 of these and some of the others are on my list. I'LL BE THERE is suuuch a good book, isn't it? Amazing.

    Here's my IMM.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I've read 3 of these and some of the others are on my list. I'LL BE THERE is suuuch a good book, isn't it? Amazing.

    Here's my IMM.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Audrey, I love your lists!! I can never make them because it takes me way tooooo long to think of 10 good ones. I don't have that many actually haha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this list topic! Thank you for all your great ideas.

    Here's my Top Ten post for this week: Top Ten Underappreciated Books
    And don't forget to stop in and sign up to win in the Readerbuzz August Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Five Flavors of Dumb and Brightly Woven made my list. I too want everyone to read Five Flavors...
    Check out the rest of my picks: http://wp.me/pzUn5-wF

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great list :) I love the When the Stars Go Blue cover.

    ReplyDelete
  21. DUDE. You just made my day with the Skulduggery Pleasant mention. <3 I swear, no one's heard of it! And FFoD *HUGS TO BREAST* I think I ought to check out Like Mandarin, just for the non-existing romance. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've heard great things about Five Flavors of Dumb and Hannah Moskovitz's book. I should read them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooooh I definitely want to read some of these! Five Flavors of Dumb sounds like it has great characterization and Like Mandarin's supposed to be really atmospheric. I'll have to bump up When the Stars Go Blue and Ballads of Suburbia on my list! And I have Split out from the library, will hopefully get to it sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My sister and I both loved reading Not That Kind of Girl. Based on the cover alone, you would think it's all about the romance or something, but I like how there's so much more to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome list!! Seriously! I've read 5 of the books on the list & own 2 of the others. :)

    I LOVED the books you have listed that I've read! Excellent, excellent taste! And Ballads is on my list too!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have read 4 out of your 10 and agree with them being on there. I have I'll Be There in the post on it's way. The one I want to read the most though is Ballads of Suburbia. I just need to do myself a favour and hurry up and order it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. i LOVE this theme too :)

    a lot of my fave books are incredible underated (sadly)

    i can't wait for i'll be there to come out in paperback...) and i love siobhan vivian. her book 'same difference' is a fave of mine as well <3

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*