Tuesday, August 30, 2011

BR: Nevermore

by Kelly Creagh
Nevermore series; book I

So many bloggers have said it’s definitely not the run-of-the-mill YA paranormal, something I avoid to an unreasonable degree* . And I know it’s unnecessary to build up my expectations but I jumped at the chance to read it (on a Kindle too!)

Summary (goodreads)

Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

 Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.

**
My Expectations: extremely high, I've actually only seemed to hear great things about it.
Delivery: I enjoyed it more than I usually do with paranormals, but I was slightly disappointed I didn't like it more.
Put-down-ability: 3/10 (yay!)
**

My Thoughts

Nevermore was solid. It has some really great parts and some forgettable parts, I thought overall it’s a book I enjoyed but won’t necessarily be eagerly recommending. The writing style is fantastic; it took me a chapter to realize that it was actually written in 3rd person (a pet peeve of mine) because I instantly connected with the main character Isobel and everything flowed so well. I thought despite some wildly clichéd plot devices (being partnered together for a project, for example) Creagh stayed away from cringe-territory and the story worked.

Isobel was a character I really grew to cheer for; I loved how she’s a strong character but not in the super-obvious way. She stood up for what she believed in and liked (such as saying she enjoyed cheerleading, but that didn’t make her vapid) and her romance with Varen became more believable and fun to read as the book went along. Declarations of love did lead to eye-rolling, but not excessively**. I'm just not huge on dramatics, I guess.

Now on to the paranormal aspect. It’s definitely unique and I loved the usage of Poe throughout the novel because it brought the eerie factor in, which was appreciated. I don't want to completely spoil what paranormal-ness it includes, but I really liked how it didn’t overwhelm the book, which is a big bonus. I liked the idea of the realms though I did feel sometimes descriptions of it was overdone and weighed down the scene. I felt like I had to trudge through parts to get to the focus of what was happening, and especially during action scenes. I liked it, but didn’t love it.

The pacing was something I think was based more on preference, but I thought the first half was a lot easier to get through than the action-packed ending. I’ll admit the 500+ pages is quite daunting and it did feel too long at times, but ultimately it’s not too terrible and it was enjoyable.

Nevermore spins a unique tale of blond cheerleader and goth boy, yet it defies stereotypes with strong characters and an interesting paranormal aspect.

Rating in HP Terms: Acceptable
Recommended for: eager and reluctant paranormal fans unafraid of long books! :)
Acknowledgements: lovely, 3.5/5

7.9/10 - because... I'll fill in this part later :P I'm dead tired and wanted to get a post up... Just read my review!









*oh hello, review pile, long time no see
**I’m cynical, deal with it.

source: bought
author website

9 comments:

  1. It's funny that you don't like 3rd person writing as much, I totally prefer 3rd person to 1st!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been kind of curious about reading this one because of all the good reviews. I also really like me some Poe, and I like when authors go against the grain with established stereotypes. Your review makes me want to check it out even more, but my TBR... so huge... *sobs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of those books were the hype kind of put me off. I'm sure I'll get to it. Great review though, very honest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm... based on your description, Isobel is kind of reminding me of Britney from Perfect Chemistry. In fact the whole story kind of does, and I loved PC, so I'm sure I'd like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you know, i think my main issue with the book was how, while the writing was definitely not bad--it was SOOO incredibly overwrought sometimes! the overload of descriptions sometimes just really distracted me.

    i just finished starcrossed by josephine angelini (have you read that one?) and the writing, oh boy THE WRITING. terrible doesn't even begin to do it justice. compared to that book nevermore is like, freakin' amazeballs. but for some reason, it just didn't completely win me over :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Loved nevermore I actually was missing it when I didn't bring it to school and jumped at the chance to buy book two on amazon I've raved about the cover of book two and to this day book one is still one of the best reviews I've written in terms of length

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still haven't read this one yet, but I've always been intrigued by the use of Poe. Glad you liked it, even if you didn't love it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This synopsis gives me mixed feelings. Cheerleader? A name that sounds too much like Bella? A goth boy with piercing eyes? A class partner?

    Yeah, sounds cliche.

    On the other hand, the Poe-factor sounds very intriguing. I think I might look into this.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do think you are the first person I've seen who doesn't love this one... This makes me sad, since I totally think our reading taste is very similar.

    But, I do still have high hopes for this one. I was gifted a copy so I'll get to it eventually, but, who knows when. :P Great review though!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*