Monday, August 1, 2011

BR: I'll Be There

by Holly Goldberg Sloan

Will you look at that cover?!?! I've been lusting and aching to read this book the moment I saw it, and especially after the rather positive reviews. It seemed like the absolute perfect contemp read for me.

Some apologies in advance for how long this review is.

Summary (goodreads)

Raised by an unstable father who keeps the family constantly on the move, Sam Border hasn't been in a classroom since the second grade. He's always been the rock for his younger brother Riddle, who stopped speaking long ago and instead makes sense of the world through his strange and intricate drawings. It's said that the two boys speak with one voice--and that voice is Sam's.
Then, Sam meets Emily Bell, and everything changes. The two share an immediate and intense attraction, and soon Sam and Riddle find themselves welcomed into the Bell's home. Faced with normalcy for the first time, they know it's too good to last.

Told from multiple perspectives, Holly Goldberg Sloan's debut novel offers readers fresh voices and a gripping story, with vivid glimpses into the lives of many unique characters. Beautifully written and emotionally profound, I'll Be There is a story about connections both big and small, and deftly explores the many ways that our lives are woven together.

**
My Expectations: Super high. Plus, the blurbs from some of my favourite authors... oh I expected big things.
Delivery: Oh it was so good. So, so good, the characters, the writing! Eeep!
Put-down-ability: the 3rd person POV didn't put me off at all, 3/10
**

My Thoughts

Beautiful. Magical. Thoughtful. Suspenseful. There are so many words that can be used to describe this book that I feel slightly inadequate to be sitting here just thinking of things I liked and disliked about it. There are days I wish I could sit in front of a computer and write, and if that ever happens, I would pray that the words would spill out like the words in this book.

Sloan’s prose is utterly beautiful, it’s the rhythm and the style that adds a unidentifiable quality to the book, the way sections and chapters end, the way the dialogue, or lack thereof, sets the tone, the way small actions are brought to life. The third person POV allowed the story to be told from perspectives of characters major and minor, and with that the richness and complexities of the plot shone. I don’t even know what it is about it because it’s not too descriptive, it’s not too metaphorical, it’s just… there.

The plot itself is a blend of heartbreak and hope; I thought that the multiple sub-plots that swirled around the Border brother’s allowed characters to weave in and out of each other’s lives filling up the emotion-quota with love. The way the Border boys changed through the story made them incredibly distinctive and while their bond isn’t exactly original, Sloan managed to make it unique.

I felt the flaw in this book was in the secondary characters, and it does break my own heart to find flaws in this type of book that seems to have been written for me. Emily. Oh Emily, I liked you so much yet when you turned Bella-Swan-comatose you made me hate you and hate you and hate you because you’re so much better than that. Debbie Sweetcake Bell, I wish I could find an imperfection in you, and in that sense, it made you flawed. Clarence, I believe you were entirely unstable the whole time, but should I blame you?

But then you have the two boys, Sam and Riddle, you have the boys who grew up without a mother and without the paternal love that a child should never be deprived of. You have the genius musician and the talented artist, and you have the caring, mysterious, yet hopeful boy and the quiet, animal-loving kid. The misfortune that befell these two is tragic and it just seemed to pile up as things fell apart, but then they fell together again. And I loved these boys so hard it’s not even funny, and during the second half when the scenes switched POVs, I was feverishly waiting to get back to reading about them. And Sam and Emily? Dude, I cannot even express the swoon in this, I’ll just say it’s alarmingly sweet and tasteful and full of magnetic chemistry.

The ending was idealistic, blending in a hefty dose of much-needed karma. I wanted it to be true, I wanted it so bad to feel right but it just… didn’t. But I won’t let it take away from gorgeous story that was told.

Rating in HP Terms: Exceeds Expectations
Recommended for: All YA contemp fans! It feels like something you guys would really appreciate :)
Acknowledgements: none! :( usual comment: not cool

8.6/10 – because I’ll Be There is amazing. I really loved so many parts of it, I adored the writing style, I loved the brothers and the intricate plot full of backstory and rich in characters was impressive. I was less impressed with some of the characters* but ultimately, this is a story about love and family and the relationships between people: families and strangers and the people who come into and out of your lives and how they change you and define you. It’s about little moments that can make or break you, and how people can be lost and people can be found. This book is exquisite and I can rave about it all day.








*the reason why my rating is slightly lower considering the gush-fest that is my review

source: bought
author website (seriously check it out, she has playlists!)

18 comments:

  1. Wow, awesome review Audrey, I'd never heard of this book before but now I really want to read it. Sounds like a fantastic read and I'm really getting into contemp lately :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing review! I am so excited to read this and meet Riddle and Sam. Oh and of course I am looking forward to the swoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Awesome review! I've been seeing in lots of blogs but I haven't really read the book description before. It sounds amazing. Your review encouraged me to read this. I'm adding this to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great review. You make me want to drop everything for this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cover. It reminds me of an old Hitchcock movie for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just know I'm going to love this book, how do you always do this to me Audrey?! Shame about that Bella spin off, I thought authors would have learned by now. Can't wait to get my hands on this though, fantastic review as always. And hey! Not long at all :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has been on my wish list for ages and you make it sound the kind of book that will totally capture my heart, I kind of want it RIGHT NOW. I do love magical books

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah AHHHA AHHAHHHA!!! Chills! I saw someone else's AMAZING review of this one, and I want to read it so bad! I think your review just put me over the top :)

    Damn book buying bad and TBR oath - it may have to wait until late Sept. Thanks so much for the awesome review!

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soooo good to hear this is as awesome as people are making it out to be -- although Bella-Swan-comatose doesn't exactly sound lovely :P And YAY for 3rd-person POVs! I seriously think they're underrated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I'd never even heard of this but now I'll definitely add to my TBR pile.

    I like that you liked a character enough to root for her once she turned into a Bella Swan. I don't know if I could do that...but I guess I'll try.

    You're right that the cover to this is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love contemporary, so I'll get this book asap :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for Gush Fest reviews!

    Book characters are like people, you can't like them all, even when you want to so that understanding helps me to at least accept them.

    Love this review. Something about these brothers reminds me of your Split review, even if the circumstances are much different.

    P.S. Did you read the finished copy of this book? Maybe the acknowledgements will be included there?

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh. WANT.

    love the review and i so agree about the cover being beyond awesome <3

    i am going to buy this in paperback form and fingers crossed they keep the same cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I MUST READ THIS! Another review (Angie at Angieville, specifically) caused me to immediately buy this, but I have seriously got to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, beautiful review Audrey! I haven't heard much about this one but it's definitely going on my list now despite the slightly problematic ending:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Belle- thanks! and Yay for contemp :) Another has converted!!

    Nic- Oh, I think you'll really like it. And those boys omg HUGS TIMES A MILLION. Esp. Riddle <3

    Precious- Thanks! Yayy, I hope you get a chance to read this :)

    Juju- hehe thanks! And I adooored that cover :)

    Aly- I know, it did bug me when I was reading but I dunno.. it's not too annoying now that I'm finished.

    Alexa- Ohh, it has that magical writing style <33 I hope you get the chance to read it!!

    Linds- AHH I think the FYA ladies TOTALLY won me over, then I read Angieville's and *had* to get it. I hope you get a chance to read this!!

    Yahong- Wooo! And lol, I am not a fan of 3PPOV :p 1st person ftw!

    Flannery- Yay! Yeah, Emily is really lovable and definitely more redeemable than Bella :p

    Rida- YAYY!

    Missie- I totally agree about the characters :) And I did read the finished copy :( there is a dedication though :)

    Nomes- Me too! It would suck to change such a gorgeous cover.

    Allison- I know what you mean! i hope you do get a chance to read it!

    Jenny- thank you!! And I hope you like it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This does sound good. It's amazing what really good prose can add to a novel. Too bad about the secondary characters, although no book is perfect. I like that there are multiple subplots.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh! I did really want to read this one! And now I'm ever more excited to read it! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*