Saturday, August 13, 2011

BR: Babe in Boyland

by Jody Gehrman

In my initial first draft of this review, the word count for the word "fun" was 7. Let's see if I can change it.

Summary (goodreads)

When high school junior Natalie - or Dr. Aphrodite, as she calls herself when writing the relationship column for her school paper - is accused of knowing nothing about guys and giving girls bad relationship advice, she decides to investigate what guys really think and want. But the guys in her class won't give her straight or serious answers. The only solution? Disguising herself as a guy and spending a week at Underwood Academy, the private all-boy boarding school in town. There she learns a lot about guys and girls in ways she never expected - especially when she falls for her dreamy roommate, Emilio. How can she show him she likes him without blowing her cover?

**
My Expectations: not high, to be honest :p
Delivery: Some parts surprised me and I did end up laughing at bits
Put-down-ability: 5/10
**

My Thoughts

Babe in Boyland isn’t something you should overthink. I use “should” because obviously you can but you’d probably be disappointed. I really think if you go into this with a bad attitude (yeah, I know, I can’t believe I’m saying this either) it’ll just be a crappy experience. There’s a ton of things you can nitpick and tear apart but honestly, don’t do that! Just let it be what it's supposed to be: slightly shallow, fun, and humourous.

Have you seen the movie She’s the Man with Amanda Bynes? Confession: I adore that movie and I’ve watched it more than 5 times, and it’s cheesy and predictable but funny. Some people may disagree with this, but for me, Babe in Boyland is basically the book version but instead of soccer it’s journalism and theatre (a great twist).

I was pretty ambivalent on Natalie’s character for most of the book, and never a fan of either of her best friends. I think I was unreasonably upset and annoyed when Nat was being a total bitch to her awesome geeky nerd friends at the beginning of her stint, but I obviously side with the geeky nerd friends 100% of the time :p Almost everyone, including the love interest, was forgettable, and character growth felt forced and even preachy at the end.

The plot though, now that was entertaining. I loved the shenanigans that Natalie found herself in, whether it was that scene in the closet where I was laughing a bit too hard or the Josh’s flatulence scene… oh gosh! The writing was easy to read and engaging and there was quite a bit of internal monologue that I came to adore.

This book is like a beaming smile and I’d definitely recommend it if you want an easy-going book.
“Hi.” I can feel everything in me shifting into flirt mode. My hip automatically juts out to one side and the word comes out soft and fluttery.

Tyler and the guy at the door both look at me like I’ve just farted.

“I mean yo, what’s up?”

Yo?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It ricochets off the floor at an angle and slams right into my crotch.

All around me, the room goes, "Ohhhh!"

I look up. Every face is staring at me, contorted into winces. Right. Ball in crotch equals excruciating pain. I'm such an idiot! Too late, I double over in pain.

"Ouch!" I yell. I sneak a glance around. Nobody looks convinced, so I add, "My balls!"
hahaha oh Natalie.. :p

Rating in HP Terms: Acceptable
Recommended for: YA fans! I think just reading the synopsis will tell you if you’d be into this book or not, fans of She’s the Man ;)
Acknowledgements: Just a nice dedication. nuh-uh.

7.6/10 – because it’s a good book and perfect for the mood I was in (as in I just want to lay in the sun and not think too hard mood). It’s fun. It’s got hilarious moments. The writing is very fluid and definitely captures Nat’s voice. Storyline is predictable but there are definitely some priceless scenes. Characters aren’t the very best but.. *shrugs* And I'm not a fan of the term, but it's a very solid 3-hour-read chick-lit :) Sound like your type of book? Then you should read it!







source: library
author website

17 comments:

  1. I think book sounds like a lot of fun when you're in the mood for something light and entertaining :) I like books that you're not supposed to analyze to pieces. Nice review, Audrey :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book reminded me so much of She's the Man too - you can't really take it seriously, but it was a lot of fun and made me laugh. Glad you enjoyed it! :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge fan of She's the Man and I read this book once I realized the similarities there; I really like both but I definitely agree that it should not be overthought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello pretty! =)
    thank you for the welcome message ^_^
    Great review! I hope you are doing awesome ^__^

    muaaaaah! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I love the cover on this one.
    Mustache.

    And wow, the ball-in-the-nether-regions part is exactly like the one in She's the Man, too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really adore She's the Man, like probably too much, but it completely cracks me up. So yah, I've definitely been meaning to pick this one up. It sounds like a perfect fun (uh oh, there's that F word again) read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh I can imagine myself noticing things too much and getting annoyed so probably not for me, but glad you enjoyed it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wouldn't you know I just finished that movie? Haha! I don't really have high expectations for this book, but I might take a peek at it if I'm feeling like a light read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love She's The Man so pretty sure I am going to love this. It sounds like such a fun book to just relax and read. Great review Audrey :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup, some books are just meant to be mind candy and really shouldn't be overanalyzed.

    And why do I always squee with glee when I see the word shenanigans? It's just a fun looking, funny sound word, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will definitely be borrowing this one. Sometimes it is nice to have some light reading especially after some "deep" books! This one sounds like a cute one.

    Oh and DFTBA!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i was going to say exactly what cinnamon said, so i'll just quote her:

    And wow, the ball-in-the-nether-regions part is exactly like the one in She's the Man, too...

    SO TRUE! have you seen she's the man? it's HILARIOUS. dunno if you click on links left by commenters, but regardless, you should check this out:

    YOU WILL LAUGH YOUR BUTT OFF. hopefully :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. can't believe that quote, is like, the movie O.o

    i have low expectations for this, but want to read it anyway, haha. i am weird like that sometimes.

    i will be imagining amanda bynes the whole way through.

    fab review-o

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey... I think I'd actually like this! Or at least think it's kind of cute. I've never read a book or seen a movie like this (yes, I have not seen She's The Man. Don't hit me! ;D), so it should be fun!

    Thanks for the review and bringing this quirky little thing to my attention!

    -Madeleine

    P.S. Have you ever seen Tootsie?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE She's the Man too. The scene with the tampons getting used for nose bleeds? Yeah, I died. XD Anyway I definitely want to read this one. Sounds like a good shallow summer read. Even though summer is basically over but oh well.... :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahaha, right?! This book is hilarious. I read it at the absolute perfect time. I just wanted something light and easy and ya, that's this book. It's definitely not complex or anything, but I laughed out loud, in public, more than just a few times. :P (The sock... The SOCK! It kills me... Oh, and ya... The closet... too funny!) I expected pretty much everything that happened in the book, but it sure made me laugh anyway!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*