Thursday, August 4, 2011

(BR) 4 Mini Reviews

I never got around to writing full reviews (I know, it seems like these days everything I'm doing is adding to the #badblogger checklist) but I decided to write a paragraph on each book with my thoughts. These are books I read/half-read/DNF in July.


The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks (8.7/10)
by E. Lockhart

So much fun! Lockhart had created a really distinct narrative voice (it’s in 3rd person POV) which managed to infuse itself with Frankie’s character and make her memorable. Frankie was definitely a dynamic scene-stealer as she navigated the world of Alabaster Prep. I found her motivations to start running the Loyal Order of the Basset Hounds slightly immature (in the no fair, I wanna be in a secret club, *stamps feet* kind of way) which bothered me for a stretch but the thing is, I could see myself thinking the same at 14 which made the book more interesting. A very entertaining read with great appeal for all readers :) Honestly. It's like I want to curl up with popcorn and watch Frankie be awesome.


Bossypants (7.8/10)
by Tina Fey

It’s my first ‘memoir’-ish celeb (I have a thing for pop culture) autobiography book, and I dunno… I’m not convinced. I absolutely adore Tina Fey, I think she’s talented and very funny and this book is too… at times. I didn’t read the whole thing back to back, I skipped to various sections (I read about 80% I would say) because some parts I just couldn’t get myself to care. Bossypants is filled with anecdotes from various points in her life and there’s this smooth style to it that makes it very readable and enjoyable. Some humour I just didn’t find funny, but she has this self-deprecating way of writing that I really did like. Anyways, I’d recommend if I you’re interested, I don’t regret reading it because it’s a cool escapism read, but probably borrow it from a library like I did instead of spending $30.


Grace (6.5/10)
by Elizabeth Scott

DNF. Yeah, I couldn’t finish this one. I had such high expectations too which just makes me that much more disappointed. I couldn’t get into the story or care for what was happening I thought the prose was.. alright. I love “sparse-prose-style”, but I thought this one was stuck in the middle between sparse-prose I like and “normal” narration (if there is such a thing), which just didn’t engage me. I didn’t get emotionally invested at all and found it really easily to just put down this book instead of powering through, I made it about a third of the way through. I think I didn’t like this book based on personal preference, not because the book is bad because I can see some of its appeal. I was just overall disappointed by how lackluster it felt when I tried to read it.


The Monster Calls (9.1/10)
by Patrick Ness

On one hand, I want to write a review to spread the word on how flippin fabulous this book is (I might in the future) but I just couldn’t get myself to start because I couldn’t form thoughts into words. This book is effing beautiful. It’s alarmingly straightforward yet Ness tackled the difficult and intensely emotional themes with such precision that I thought this book was bloated from all the epic awesome. The narrator is younger than the ones in most YA books, but this is a book that deals with heavy YA themes rather spectacularly, it’s hard to do this book justice. It’s incredibly relatable as well and the mother-son relationship was done so gorgeously. It made me sob big fat tears.... I love this book. You should definitely read it. A masterpiece.


11 comments:

  1. I LOVE The Disreputable History! Frankie is one of my favorite narrators of all time. LOVE her! :D

    I didn't really care for Grace either... It really just... Didn't do it for me. As far as EScott is concerned, I'm discovering that I like her lighter books a LOT better than her heavy, or issue books...

    Also, it sounds like I'm going to need to grab a copy of The Monster Calls soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed Franki's spunk, and although I didn't agree with all of her choices, she lets young girls (my middle school students) know that sometimes you have to take risks, make mistakes, have confidence.

    A Monster Calls is THE book I am waiting for. Love Patrick Ness. Love Patrick Ness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved The Disreputable History, glad you did too! I'll definitely have to check out more of E. Lockhart's works. I adored Grace by Elizabeth Scott but I can see why you put it down. It's tough to get through and a lot is left unanswered in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love E Lockhart's books, as well as the Disreputable History- which is one of the best 3rd person narratives in YA lit.

    And I'm going to pick up A Monster Calls for sure now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you liked The Disreputable History. At one point I thought the same thing, that Frankies motive was a bit immature but she was still awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My brain is on the verge of exploding with how much I want to read A Monster Calls. I'm so looking forward to it.

    Bum deal about the Scott novel. I have yet to read anything by her, but this mini helps so I know to avoid starting with Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome mini-reviews. I can't wait to get my hands on The Monster Calls. I am love with that cover.

    Oh and it sucks about Grace. I read it and I think it gets better as you go along. It is a pretty sad story though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great mini reviews! I'm desperate to read Bossypants, I'm not a massive fan of memoirs or non-fiction in general but I adore Tina Fey so much that I need to read it. I wonder if I'll feel the same as you and not enjoy it all... I'll have to see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have to check The Monster Calls out, this is the second review I've seen that's sung its praises! I have the hardest time writing reviews for books that blew me away, I can just never seem to get the words right to describe my reaction:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every day at work i spend ten hours, and almost every day when i get bored
    i open AllGamesOnline.Org and start to play some Games Online
    I hope my boss will not catch me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the mini reviews (i should do this. hmm.. )

    i am stuck at about 50 pages in grace. still want to get back to it though, but am finidng it hard to connect :/

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*