Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday

hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine
**

I can proudly say I was one of those kids who read A Series of Unfortunate Events growing up, and I really liked (most) of them. The writing was always quirky and I'll always have a soft spot for Violet, Klaus and Sunny. This is the same author (since Lemony Snicket is a pseudonym) and this book looks awesome!

Why We Broke Up
by Daniel Handler / art by Maira Kalman

Summary (goodreads)

I'm telling you why we broke up, Ed. I'm writing it in this letter, the whole truth of why it happened.

Min Green and Ed Slaterton are breaking up, so Min is writing Ed a letter and giving him a box. Inside the box is why they broke up. Two bottle caps, a movie ticket, a folded note, a box of matches, a protractor, books, a toy truck, a pair of ugly earrings, a comb from a motel room, and every other item collected over the course of a giddy, intimate, heartbreaking relationship. Item after item is illustrated and accounted for, and then the box, like a girlfriend, will be dumped.

Why We Broke Up is released January 2nd, 2012 from Little, Brown.

**

I'm totally hooked just from the synopsis, and it's in a letter form (Stolen by Lucy Christopher, anyone?). And there's illustrations :) I can't wait to read it!! Plus, that cover-- there's something about it that just makes me love it and its simplicity.

22 comments:

  1. A great pick!

    My WoW, http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

    Have a nice week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds AWESOME! SO AWESOME!
    I hadn't heard of it before, so thanks a lot for introducing it to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of Why We Broke Up! Thank you for sharing it with us, Audrey. I'll be heading over to Goodreads and add it to my wishlist ASAP.

    I haven't read the whole Series of Unfortunate Events yet but I thought the books I read was enjoyable. I had to take a break from them, I'm not sure if I would have needed one if I read the series when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree completely about the cover. Can't wait for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sound of this. Looks so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely loved STOLEN so this one sounds fantastic! Great pick!

    Check out my WOW this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds awesome! I love that it has illustrations too! Can't wait to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, this was my WoW pick last week. Daniel Handler is awesome. :]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fascinating and SO different. Very cool concept.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to read this too!

    Here is mine

    nerdfighter <3 DFTBA

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blah! Sounds like it could be fun, but second person isn't my fav narrative style. I'll wait for your review, then decide.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so excited! I loved the Series of Unfortunate Events series too when I was little and when I found out he was releasing How We Broke Up, I wanted it right away.

    Here's my WOW: http://bit.ly/nJxD5B

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am waiting for this as well. Great choice for WoW.

    Here's my WoW pick this week:
    http://www.peaceloveandreviews.com/2011/07/waiting-on-wednesday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't heard about this one, but it sounds lovely. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. sounds like a good choice.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/07/waiting-on-wednesday_27.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lemony Snicket has a new book coming out? I loved A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS (and Sunny is the smartest baby EVER), so I'm glad Lemony Snicket (or, well, whatever his real name is) is writing this. And I love the simplicity of the cover, too =)

    My WoW is right here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This really does sound like a good read! I'll have to add it to my list! :) Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was SUCH a fan of Lemony Snicket as a kid. Can't wait to read his YA debut...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always wonder why people break up! =O

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great pick. Looking forward to this one too!
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/07/waiting-on-wednesday-29.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have a copy of this!!! Eeep! It's been with my college friend for the summer though so I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet. She said it made her cry though!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*