Friday, July 1, 2011

June, lookin' back

Firstly, HAPPY CANADA DAY! <3

Ahh, JUNE! What a month. Blog-wise, still pretty bad but think about it... I finished high school! I survived exams! I walked across the stage in my cap and gown, and I dressed up for prom... oh, June was fun.

this is June in Review at holes In My brain.

Reviews (5)

The Demon's Surrender by Sarah Rees Brennan

Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter

Split by Swati Avasthi

Blood Red Road by Moira Young

Ordinary Beauty by Laura Wiess

Thoughts

Oh man. This is sad, especially when I look at Skye's blog and she's read like... 94 books this year and reviewed 15 this month :p Also, go check out her blog because she's freaking awesome.
But that said, I'm really happy with the books I've read and reviewed, I think my reviews were up to par this month and yeah... expect better stuff in the summer! I did read a few books I haven't reviewed yet so you can look forward to those.

Book of the Month

Okay. This may rock the boat but my BotM won't be the highest rated book. It's gonna be Split by Swati Avasthi (8.9/10). Why? It's the one that's still ringing in my ears after I finished it a week or so ago, it's the one that I still get a kick in the gut when I think about Jace and Christian. It's the first book that pops into my head when I want to recommend something... it's such a beautiful book.. you should stop avoiding it!!

Honourable Mentions:

Blood Red Road by Moira Young (9.2/10)! A fantastic book, it got the highest rating from me this month and don't worry, I still love it to death and will be raving about it ;) I'm sure you guys have been privy to my fangirl tendencies already, just look at this list :p
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. I'm having a hard time reviewing this because it's just so. freaking. good. Ahhhh made me cry and cry and cry... it's amazing. I don't know if I'll ever review it (oh look at that. Backing out from tough reviews again. Good job Audrey.)

Also this month, I
*
"Hosted" (very informally) the Awesome Awktopus Summer of YA Lit Challenge! It runs all summer and it's made up of mini-challenges, if you wanna tackle it :)
*
Had my blogoversary! The blog is 2!!! :) I had a giveaway, hopefully you entered. I think it's closed now :p
*
Celebrated 1000 followers with another giveaway.
*
Played #namethatbook with fun prizes! It's still open till... tomorrow! So hurry up and play if you haven't.
*
Guest poster Nadia Jones wrote about getting your creative juices flowing.
*
Pondered about the epicness or epic cheesyness of taglines (I liked this post. I think you should read it ;P)
*
Posted a discussion... journeys or villains? Which do you prefer?
*
Participated in Inkcrush's half- year lists: Fave books of 2011 (so far) and Fave characters of 2011 (so far). Both were tons of fun, thanks Nomes for hosting!
*
Got a Macbook Pro for university (my grad gift!). His name is Leonard, and he is amazing. I love him so, so, so much. :)
*

Parting Thoughts

Well, looking back, June wasn't so bad, was it? I'm glad you guys are still sticking around hanging out with me as I wander the shelves of YA.

Looking Ahead

I have tons, and I mean tons of amazing books from the library I can't wait to read!! I'm so stoked, so I think I'll be a happy person in July. Look out for fun discussion posts, lots of reviews (hopefully) maybe a fun giveaway thrown in and whatever else strikes my fancy! Summer has been a blast so far. =D

14 comments:

  1. LOL! My quantity of reviews is just to compensate for their lack of quality :P

    And yay Split! Books about brothers are just THE BEST. I want every book I read for the rest of my life to have an awesome brother relationship in it somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome month! Even if you didn't review as many as you would have liked, they were great - and so many other amazing things happening too. Like blogoversary, graduating high school and prom - kind of a big deal ;) Congrats x

    ReplyDelete
  3. June was a good month :) I enjoyed all your book reviews and loved the taglines post. I shall definitely have to stop avoiding Spilt and give it ago!

    And you reviewed more books than I did :) I am appallingly slow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just finished Split and I completely understand why you picked it as book of the month. Such an amazing read :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE how you chose SPLIT (even though it was rated lower, LOL)

    and congrats again on graduating <3 an aweosme month

    (plus, your library sounds so awesome. i have read all the good books from my YA section at my lib and they haven't updated in ages :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha don't feel sad! I always see blogs where they read lots, makes my 7 this month seem like nothing! Wish l could read that much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. DUDE, high-five for naming your MacBook! (And for getting one, too! *jealous*) Oh, and I'm stealing your taglines idea, only I'll be doing the excerpt on the back of hardcovers... is that okay? (it shows that your tagline post really IS awesome! :P)

    Congrats on graduating (again) and that wonderfully hand-drawn computer graphic you made for your blogoversary! :D You crack me up. *squeezes*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Blogoversary and congrats on graduating! Glad you Leonard :D June sounded like a really awesome month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. SPLIT looks so good, I really can't wait to read it. Congrats on surviving exams & graduating! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Skye- NUH UH. Don't even, your reviews rock. Ahhh books about brothers are seriously amazing <3

    Belle- Haha, nahh ;p And thanks so much! :)

    Alexa- it was alright :p And thank you! Yes yes yes, read Split, I think you'll like it! =D

    Nic- Ahhhh isn't i??? <3

    Nomes- My poor Blood Red Road. IT was totally the front runner until this major upset xD Hehe, thanks! And while my library is slow at getting the latest books, I can't complain about their YA selection :)

    Books for Company- Haha, I guess I do feel a bit better... just wish we could've read more books, ya know?

    Yahong- LEONARD <33 :P And go ahead with the taglines thing! :) and THANKS aren't I an AMAZING artist?? or should i say ARTISTE if I'm being FANCY and FRENCH? xD

    Vy- Thank you! Love Leonard. Love of my life, actually ;)

    Emily- oh, it is amazing!! Hugely recommended, and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Odd... what happened to my comment because I know I read this post earlier and could have sworn I left the most cleverest comment in the history of comments!

    Too bad recreating greatness is impossible.

    My Macbook Pro's name is Devlyn. And she is awesome! I love her to pieces and take her everywhere I go.

    Super congrats on finishing school... I was worried for you for a while there... and congrats on your blogoversary. I'm still scratching my head over that namethatbook quiz.

    *runs off to order A Monster Calls*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your graduation! May you have an awesome awktopus of a summer ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I love the idea of monthly review posts. And I loved your name that book post. The only one I could get was The Truth About Forever. I suppose I should have gotten the Harry Potter one, but I only read that for the romance, so who can blame me?

    Anyways, I'm so glad I finally got a chance to look deeper into your blog. You have a lot of cool ideas for posts. I'm so glad to have found you in the great big blogging universe.

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*