Thursday, July 21, 2011

BR: Demonglass

by Rachel Hawkins
Hex Hall series; book II

Demonglass! Having fell completely in love with Sophie from Hex Hall, I was excited to see what would happen next.

Summary (goodreads) ~ has spoilers for book 1

Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?

**
My Expectations: high, but not extremely high because I didn’t love Hex Hall like I thought I would
Delivery: I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it—this book was awesome :)
Put-down-abiltiy: so low! 2/10
**

My Thoughts

Oh, what a sequel! Sophie Mercer is back in full force as she navigates the tricky world of Prodigium, demons, and the evil Eye of some-ominous-group. Sent to live with her father after an eventful year, Sophie was in for a heck of a summer.

Hawkins’ writing style is great. I mentioned how Sophie swept me away in book one, and she does it again with such a vibrant narration full of snark and humour. She faces new challenges and adapts to new situations in this novel; I was impressed with her character growth. I love the sarcasm she shared with her father, and I think the newfound father-daughter bond was one of the highlights of the book. Instead of doing what I expected, she embraced her dad’s presence as opposed to shunning him, which was refreshing*.

The relationships Sophie had with people were very well done, I loved her friendship with Jenna and Cal, and even started liking Archer**. I’m still not head-over-heels for him because much of the "romance" in this sequel is dependant on the attraction instilled in book one (which I wasn’t crazy about). Still... I see potential! I'm not hatin' :p Sophie’s just such a lovable character though and I think that the lovable secondary characters are a byproduct of that.

I didn’t love the plot in Hex Hall but I had the "need to know what happens next" feeling in this book—a great thing. Each misadventure unveiled new secrets and new mysteries and I was kept engaged because of this. I feel a drawback is that it did kind of drag in the middle, despite some exciting stuff happening. The storyline was rich with sub-plots… and dude, what an ending! Cliffhanger much?! Now I'm itching to read Spellbound, book 3.

Demonglass is a fun, adventurous and highly entertaining sequel that swept me into the world created by Hawkins.

Rating in HP Terms: Exceeds Expectations
Recommended for: everyone. It’s not the typical paranormal because well.. I seriously love Sophie :P Paranormal elements were cool.
Acknowledgements: none! I'm unimpressed. not cool.

8.8/10 – because it was so much fun! The plot felt like a winner and Sophie is hilariously endearing as always. I would continue this series just to read more about her, but I’d love to figure out what’ll happen to her love life, friendships, family, and the whole magic world too.








*yes, we’re all sick of moody teenagers, aren't we?
**who’s still the owner of one of the best boy names ever.


source: library
author website / blog / twitter
series website




7 comments:

  1. Sophie is a great character, isn't she? She's just so likable that I can't help but adore these books. Haven't read this yet but am planning to! I really enjoyed Hex Hall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh... good to hear things pick up with Archer in the second book. But you know I like my boys sweet. :) And it's awesome that she doesn't go all shunny on her dad -- maybe that'll make me like her more. :P

    Glad that you liked it so much, but I'm pretty sure there's no way I'm reading a book that makes you go "Cliffhanger much?!" :P

    And HEY. Spellbound is such an unoriginal title. *rolls eyes*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still didn't like Archer (especially with Cal around) but what a cliffhanger! Makes me even more eager for book 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't Sophie just make of WIN! I love her. I thought the way she accepted her father back into her life felt so natural to her character.

    And isn't Archer Cross the most redonkulously awesome name ever?! I'll answer that with a Hells Yes!

    That cliffhanger killed me so I'm dying over here for the next book Can't hardly wait!

    Fun review, Audrey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Demonglass was pretty good- and I LOVE Archer's name :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, the ending!!!!! Ahhh! Cannot wait for Spell Bound, especially excited that it now has a cover!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Good to hear you're liking Archer more - I personally love him :P (and agree - his name is awesome!). I love Sophie too, she's such a great heroine! Can't wait for Spell Bound :).

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*