Friday, July 15, 2011

BR: Angelfire

by Courtney Allison Moulton
Angelfire trilogy; book I

I've been eyeing this one for ages, and I'm also using this for my Awesome Awktopus Summer of YA Lit challenge (what was I thinking when I thought of that name?!)

Summary (goodreads)

When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers - monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul.

A mysterious boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already killed her once.

While balancing her dwindling social life and reaper-hunting duties, she and Will discover Bastian is searching for a dormant creature believed to be a true soul reaper. Bastian plans to use this weapon to ignite the End of Days and to destroy Ellie's soul, ending her rebirth cycle forever. Now, she must face an army of Bastian's most frightening reapers, prevent the soul reaper from consuming her soul, and uncover the secrets of her past lives - including truths that may be too frightening to remember.

**
My Expectations: Really high! I thought this would be bam-bam-amazing, I've read so many positive review.
Delivery: Ehhhh. I liked it.
Put-down-ability: It was slow in the beginning, pretty good in the middle, awesome up to the climax, then super 'let's discuss feelings' at the end. erm... 5/10 (I so need that drama vs. time graph)
**

My Thoughts

Going in, I really thought Angelfire would be the paranormal that would blow me away and make me seek out more of its kind, but in truth, it didn’t. There were parts I enjoyed and parts I was wary of, but in the end I felt blasé.

Starting with the goods—I really like the way Moulton writes her action scenes. There are plenty of them, they’re detailed and I want to say that they’re “choreographed” because the descriptions were crisp but still readable. I also loved the entire premise, with the mythology of angels, reapers, and myriad of other creatures. Coming off a two-month Supernatural* frenzy, I grinned every time I recognized something similar (like Michael and Lucifer, etc) so they were like shiny spots in the novel. I really liked the idea of Ellie’s soul, her past lives, her destiny, and the whole amnesia thing.

The romance part of it… ehh. I know I’m weird! Everyone loves Will but I just didn’t get emotionally attached, and yes, his “I live to serve you” spiels were gallant and white knight-like, but it just didn’t work on me. I didn’t feel the connection between Will and Ellie for most of the book either, but again, that’s just me. Which brings me to Ellie: I never cared for her. Yeah, I want to say she’s all badass but since I didn’t really like her, I didn’t really feel like noticing her badass qualities :p For example, her dressing up as a "sexy nurse" for Halloween to get Will's attention, along with other things... just didn't sit right with me.

I think while we’re not BFFs, Ellie still displayed some good character growth that makes me very interested in what will become of her. It’s enough to make me want read the sequel. Oh, but all of Ellie’s friends were meh. Landon and Kate were nothing special, and I’m so sick of the best friend encouraging the protag to go after the guy because “he seems nice and he’s hot.” Sheesh, that’s just freaking annoying**. I’m extremely interested to see what’s the deal with her father though—now that’s a good sub-plot (hopefully). The pacing in this novel was slightly shaky, with lots of action and fighting sequences, I thought the novel dulled down in between.

Overall, Angelfire is an action-packed novel with some fascinating paranormal elements, but I found myself underwhelmed because of the characters. That said, I'm convinced this series has some great potential.

Rating in HP Terms: Acceptable
Recommended for: paranormal fans
Acknowledgements: none in ARC

7.5/10 – because I was slightly disappointed with my high expectations. I mean I didn't hate it-- it's a good book. I just didn't love it. The creatures and plot was interesting enough, but I just couldn’t feel the conviction behind the characters and never warmed to the protagonist. The romance was alright, but I think my favourite parts would still be the action scenes—all of them!









*the TV show in which Sam and Dean Winchester make up one of the best bromances ever. And they fight demons and stuff. Plus they’re very pretty ;) Also, I think if I hadn't watched the series, I wouldn't have been able to fully grasp the plot (as much--the backstory comes in large doses) or finish the book.
**because it just feels like every. Single. Best. Friend. Does. That. Agghhhh (overreaction? probably) Nice and Hot are not the only two qualities to look for in men!!!


source: contest from Wastepaper Prose (thanks!)
author twitter / website / blog

10 comments:

  1. Great review!

    I've been thinking about this one for a while now - it's definitely one that I will read at some point.

    I love your honesty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't a big fan of this one either. I thought the concept was great, but the pacing didn't keep my attention. You really captured the book for me...great review

    ReplyDelete
  3. Supernatural is very educational.

    I've never had a strong desire to read this one, and now I understand why. I need to be able to care about the main character or at the very least swoon over the romance. The white knight stuff is noble and all, but where is the fire?

    Thanks for sharing your honest thought on this one, Audrey. Gonna pass for now.

    P.S. Your FAKE email totally made me LMAO! You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I didn't really like this one either...although the action was pretty kick-butt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first heard about this book and read about its premise, I was really excited to check it out for myself. Sadly, the more reviews I read, the more I realized that I would probably not like the heroine, and that's a total deal breaker for me. I need to be able to connect with and enjoy reading about the protagonist.

    Thanks for the honest, in-depth review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yupperdoodles, Will is so not all pizzazz-making. And also, I think Awesome Awktopus is a great name! XD I never connected with Will or Ellie either. It was like, "Cool. They can do amazing stuffz." *yawn*

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I first got this book, I was pretty excited about reading it, but then like you said, the parts between the fight scenes were sort of dull. I loved the premise of the novel, though. I just wish it had more of a pull for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jules- thanks! I'd be interested in what you think of it :)

    Mflick1- Mhmm, even with all the fight scenes I was never really.. 'caught up', you know?

    Missie- Supernatural! <3 And I think I was *dying* to read this for the longest time, but now I'm just disappointed. So true, where is the fire?! And hehehe I thought you'd appreciate that! *considering making it permanent*

    Bookwomr1858- True true!

    Marg- I think I only read positive reviews, which further bumped up my expectations. Thanks for the comment!

    Yahong- bahaha :p Love the comment :)

    Rida- Yeah, I actually really liked the whole angel thing (see: supernatural, xD) but I agree, it wasn't enough of a pull.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad I'm not the only one who:
    *didn't love this one
    *didn't love Will
    *didn't particularly like Ellie
    *thought the sexy nurse outfit was trashy, lame and stupid (okay, so you didn't say that... But I will! :P)
    *hates the BFF who thinks that creepy guy staring at your from the trees is a great catch because when he's hott.
    *also really wants to know what is up with her dad (altho I have this feeling that it's going to be lame...)

    Ahem. I've never seen (or heard of...) Supernatural, so I have no idea how that relates to this book (wanna 'splain?) but I didn't love it. I had me some issues with the world building that just really didn't sit well & I just... didn't like the book. I didn't like it enough that I won't even bother to read the follow up books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never felt that huge an interest in this book - probably because angels aren't really my thing - but I definitely appreciate the review. I have a feeling I'd have issues with the same parts you did. Particularly the sexy (or should we just go all out and say slutty?) nurse out-fit and the friends. Nice? Hot? I've seen that go downhill, fast, way too many times. ;P

    Anyway, love the review!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*