Monday, June 27, 2011

faves of 2011... so Far - the Characters


The extremely awesome Nomes from Inkcrush is doing this feature of our favourite books read in 2011... so far. Click HERE to find out more and check out her blog! Also, you can find all the other wonderful bloggers participating in this shin-dig (trust me, you get lots of recommendations this way).


THE CHARACTERS


1. best female POV
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins- Anna, you are seriously amazing. FOR REAL.
Runner-up: Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly- Andi’s narration left me breathless and I just want to give her a hug.


2. best male POV
Split by Swati Avasthi. I have seriously been lacking male POVs, so this one easily takes the cake. This book is made fantastic because of the brilliant chracters.


3. Best couple <3
This is too hard. WHY, Nomes WHY? Four and Tris from Divergent. I love kick-ass-ness.
Close, close second is Ryan and Carly from Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar. And Jack and Saba from Blood Red Road by Moira Young.


4. who i so want to be best friends with

dammit. Anna again :) from Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins


5. who i fell completely in love with (new literary crush)

Nomes, are you serious?? JUST ONE? Formal protest. Ryan from Raw Blue. Four from Divergent. Jack from Blood Red Road. Hale from Uncommon Criminals (HALE!). A bonus for good luck: Alan from The Demon's Surrender ;)
Oh man, Thomas Mackee and Adam Wilde are so angry at me right now, I wish I’ve read their books this year ;)

6. worst (best) villain
Why can’t I choose Mayor Prentiss? I’ll go with…Ladybird Hope from Beauty Queens. Because she’s hilarious and ridiculously well… ridiculous. I heard she was loosely based on Sarah Palin. I can’t think of a BAMF villain right now.


7. best character twist (who you loved then hated or vice versa)

I’m sorry, but I’ll have to steal Nomes’ choice of Christian from Split by Swati Avasthi. As soon as I saw that name on her list, I knew it was the absolute perfect choice. I really wasn’t a fan of him at the beginning, but loved him by the end.


8. best kick-arse female
Tris from Divergent. Actually… I think she’s tied with Saba from Blood Red Road, both of these heroines are pretty kick-ass.


9. best kick-arse male
Originally, I only had one name but thinking about it, I added about 10. Anyways, here's a few in no particular order. Four from Divergent by Veronica Roth. Alan (ALAN!) from The Demon’s Surrender by Sarah Rees Brennan. Hale from Uncommon Criminals (He’s a thief. ‘nuff said.) Jack from Blood Red Road.


10. broke your heart the most
Charlie from Please Ignore Vera Dietz. This was a really tricky one, but if you’ve read the book, you’d know exactly what I’m talking about and why I chose this character.
Runner ups: Carly from Raw Blue, and Conor from A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness.


11. best/worst character names

Best: Andi (Revolution), Vera (Please Ignore Vera Dietz), Mandarin (Like Mandarin), Kat (Katarina- Heist Society)

Worst: Grace (ahh, sorry, I really don’t like the name, Like Mandarin), Nailer (Ship Breaker), Beatrice (thank god she changed it to Tris, Divergent), Four (or his real name. both are ew, Divergent), Leon (Birthmarked—okay, this is just terrible on any level)

On the fence: Mclean (What Happened to Goodbye), Rhine (Wither), Julliette (Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi), Sin (Cynthia- The Demon’s Surrender)

What about last names? I think authors usually do pretty well with last names. Here are some I really like:
Dietz (Vera Dietz), Ryves (Nick and Alan from The Demon’s Surrender), Hale (HALE! from Uncommon Criminals), St. Clair (Anna and the French Kiss)


I would love to feature covers, but I just know my blogger will act funky and mess up the pictures. Here’s just a list then :(
5 Best Covers
  • A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
  • Wither by Lauren DeStefano
  • Please Ignore Vera Dietz by AS King
  • Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
  • Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi
Not too many repeats, but definitely a lot of tough choices! Sorry for not being able to choose favourites :p

Anyways, I also have happy news! I got a MacBook Pro! I'm pretty insanely stoked about it, it's pretty freaking amazing (but I'm biased). It's so shiny! I'm calling it Leonard for now, but my friends make fun of me. But that name just.. fits ;p Enough rambling, happy reading!

15 comments:

  1. I like how the name Hale only exists here as HALE! :P

    And I really liked the name Four, even if the origin was stupid. I want to name my kids after math! (Can you imagine, "Pi! Pi, come back here!" :P)

    But anyway, awesome list! So many I agree with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am ordering Blood Red Road immediately! It is everywhere on your list again and in the most important catergory - literary crush!

    We didn't pick much of the same today except for best name HALE. Love him :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know, i know

    some of these were INSANELY HARD

    but i am pleased to see that RYAN was first place in your literary crush list <3

    and yay for you feeling the same way about CHRISTIAN as me. i really loved him in the end, hey :)

    i know re BEATRICE, argh. i am thankful she changed it too (phew)

    sin as a name is woeful O.o

    LOVE all your list. you always come across so passionate and convinced and you end up being very convincing, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for Anna!

    And OMG I forgot all about Hale! I must get my hands on a copy of Uncommon Criminals :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha I love how you have Alan ALAN!!!! He definitely deserves all capitals, ah one of my all time favourite boys ~ smart, sexy and he loves his brother :D But seeing Ryan and Hale both beat him in your literary crushes. I clearly need to get my hands on those books

    I didn't mind Four, but yuck to his real name, which i appear to have wiped from memory but was definitely yuck!

    Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, so, so honored that Jace and Christian made your list!! Thank you! Love Vera, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your answers! I can deal with Four, but I REFUSE to call him by his real name. MAKE IT GO AWAY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok. where does one find RAW BLUE? i searched on amazon and barnes and noble- and came up empty.
    I have never heard of it before- but now i'm super intrigued.

    my email is magnet4taken @ gmail . com if you would PLEASE let me know.
    thanks! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny, I really like the name Four, Rhine and Juliette. Plus Leon, I don't mind that one. :P Guess it just goes to show how widely tastes differ!

    And OMG, Sarah Palin?? Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww, I love the name Grace! I never thought anyone would have anything against that name. lol I didn't mind the name Four either.

    I really need to read Anna and the French Kiss! Maybe I'll pick it up next time I'm at Borders and have a coupon.

    Great list! There are so many on here that I need to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Greedy much on the book boyfriends?

    LOL

    Yes, I agree, Rhino and Missie are a great couple! ;)

    You are great at list Audrey. Love your choices here. Guess I really need to read Split and Please Ignore soon, huh?!

    P.S. Did Hale kiss you back? Didn't thinks so. HALE = Mine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha I just hate the name Leon too!!! XD When I read Birthmarked I knew I was supposed to like him but honestly all I could think was "Leon is a villian name!" Just terrible. :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH yes, Charlie from Vera Dietz definitely broke my heart. I finished it AFTER I made my post. Love your picks, looks like we read a lot of the same stuff. And now I know that I have to read Beauty Queens if there's a Sarah Palin-like character to hate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Leonard is PERFECT. Don't let your friends change your mind (unless that friend is me, because I'm always right. ... Kidding.)!

    I need to do this, even if I'm late to the game. I love filling out things of this sort, though, like you, I tend to repeat the same titles over and over. Oh, well - they're amazing!

    I really need to read more of the Sarah Rees Brennan's books. I read the first ages ago and haven't felt the urge to read the rest, but I'll probably like the sequels better. Plus, you like them so much they must be extraordinary!

    Thanks for the recommends!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Skye- omg a math related name!! The infinite possibilities (see what I did there? :P) DO IT ;P

    Nic- Yayyy :) ahahaha I love how we both consider literary crush to be a hugely important category :P HALE!

    Nomes- THANKS FOR HOSTING THIS <3 And seriously, Christian was just the perfect pick :) Woeful-- new favourite word! haha thanks!!

    Jess- Anna!! <3 It's such a fun book!

    Alexa- That boy has stolen my heart <3333 Hehe Four might start growing on me, I dunno. but his real name.. no way jose ;p

    Swati- Aww no, thank YOU! Those characters are amazing because of you, and I loved reading about them <3

    Stephanie- Hahaha YES YES YES!

    Al- there's ebooks :) But we have twittered about this, yes? xp :) I'm so glad you're intrigued, it's such a beautiful book.

    Yahong- EW REALLY? I could forgive you for the first three, but LEON? Nuh uh! :P

    Jennifer- haha, it just never clicked with me, I guess!and OMG you NEED to read Anna. SERIOUSLY, such a crazy-good book!

    Missie- NOOO THey just all love me ;-) And NOOO again, it's Rhino and Audrey forever!!! :P omg Hale did SO kiss me back!

    Julia- LOL exactly! SEE, Yahong?? :P terrible *shakes head*

    Angie- Omg Charlie :'( Thanks for dropping by! And BQ is really something else, super clever and really funny :P

    Madeleine- WOOO LOVE Leonard <3 haha And I'm sure I'll love your lists! Yes, do them! I adored the first book, but I think there's a lot of lukewarm opinions on it too :P Haha, who knows?! No problem, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*