Sunday, May 29, 2011

BR: Beauty Queens

by Libba Bray

Have you read the Gemma Doyle series by this author? If not, shame on you. I was sooo excited to read Beauty Queens, I knew I was in for a treat ;)

Summary (goodreads)

From bestselling, Printz Award-winning author Libba Bray, the story of a plane of beauty pageant contestants that crashes on a desert island.

Teen beauty queens. A "Lost"-like island. Mysteries and dangers. No access to email. And the spirit of fierce, feral competition that lives underground in girls, a savage brutality that can only be revealed by a journey into the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Oh, the horror, the horror! Only funnier. With evening gowns. And a body count.

**
My Expectations: Pretty freaking high! I mean, it just looks so amazing.
Delivery: ahhh, I laughed the whole way through, I think :p
Put-down-ability: I could have been more emotionally invested, 8/10
**

My Thoughts

With an unforgettable entrance of a group of “Teen Dreamer” beauty queens who land on an uninhabited island after a plane crash, you could imagine what ensues, right? Not really. Not if you know Libba Bray. Because she takes readers on a whirlwind escapade through her bizarre brain-- I can’t even describe how made of awesome her brain (and this book) is.

Also, there are footnotes*. Win.

I wish I could quote everything in this book, because it’s hard to describe how different the writing is. There’s humour in the writing, it’s not writing with humour. Do you know what I mean? You have to read it to believe it, seriously. The Writing (capital W, guys). Genius.

I adored pretty much all of the characters because of how original, yet relatable they were. Beneath the ~sparkly~ exterior, Bray manages to portray honest emotions of teenage girls, whether dealing with sexuality, insecurity, crushes, etc. The supporting characters of the pirates, MoMo and even Ladybird Hope all shined as well; entertaining and ridiculous-- a fantastic combination, don't you agree?

Expansive and comprehensive character development can be tricky with a large ensemble cast but I felt the number of weak characters was held to a minimum. True, the story is not devoid of two-dimensional characters or characters who pop in and out randomly, but the focus is controlled enough to carry several storylines to a satisfying degree. The overall plot arc did take a slight hit; I felt there were times where I was thinking “what the heck is going on” as things got sloppy, but well—I enjoyed every second of it.

Beauty Queens is not a novel you should take too seriously on the surface, but at its heart, it’s an insightful, intelligent and satirical look on today’s society’s focus on beauty. It’s a book that FISTPUMPS for female empowerment, and yep, it's outrageous, hysterical, witty, and did I mention funny as hell?

Rating HP Terms: Exceeds Expectations
Recommended for: huuugely recommended for girls, fans of quirky books, contemporary YA fans, people who want to laugh.
Acknowledgements: Libba, why are you good at everything?? Even thanking people made me laugh, 5/5

8.9/10 – because it was fantastic and I loved it. I loved the themes, the writing, the wildly exciting characters, and above all, I loved Ladybird Hope. Just kidding, my heart belongs to Sinjin St. Sinjin, one of the pirates of Captains Bodacious IV: Badder and More Bodaciouser! (I’m not even making this up). Actually, I can’t choose a favourite, they’re just too wonderful. Anyways, the only drawbacks were that I was never completely emotionally committed and the plot was slightly overdone, but overall… I can’t recommend this book enough.

A quote:
When you looked up to the sky and cried “Why?” sometimes the sky shrugged. Yet other times it answered with the warm assurance of linked hands, “Sorry,” it whispered on the wind. “Sorry for all the pain and loneliness and disappointment. But there is this, too.”

It was enough.

Footnote #29:
Stud Muffin Body Spray for Guys: Get your stud on with Stud Muffin Body Spray for Guys, the only body spray made with beer and man sweat and guaranteed to make girls frolic with you in a hot tub.*

*Results may vary. It could also make your dog hump your leg and have your grandma asking you if you’ve sneaked a cold one into the retirement village for her.







*footnotes are pretty much automatic win. I mean, John Green and Libba Bray? Bi-winning.

source: publisher
author twitter / website / blog
Beauty Queens author video

19 comments:

  1. LOL at that last footnote!

    Glad to read good things about this one! I'm waiting for my copy in the mail, I love Libba and her humor <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samita- BEER AND MAN SWEAT :P Hope you like the book! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - completely hilarious! I had to go back after I finished and reread all of the commercials and product footnotes :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous review! :)

    I'm so glad to hear that you liked it! I really want to like this one.

    I love that quote! How beautiful is that writing??

    I can't wait to pick this one up.

    Jennifer of Little Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review!!! I cannot wait to read this one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it's impressive to see that she managed to develop that large cast of characters. LOVED the footnotes in John Green, so looking forward to that :P I can see how you wouldn't really be emotionally invested, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I just want to read this for the footnotes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is the first review of this book out there! YAY!!
    You FTW!

    The book sounds great and those quotes and footnotes seems hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book sounds amazing! I'm crazy excited to read it!! :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny, quirky and has footnotes, I WANT! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dude I just love your reviews. Flow so well! I love her work, oh my god her previous series was just amazing. I plan on re -reading them to review. I have no doubt that this one will be just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been wanting to read this one as well! It sounds like so much fun and after your review, yep, I'm sold on giving it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review! I received this book for my bday and hadn't heard much about it so I wasn't particularly excited, but after you're reading your review I definitely want to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Footnotes?! Please don't tease.

    Okay, I'll admit, despite the pretty cool cover, I wasn't sure about this, but now I'm dying to dive into Bray's bizarre brain.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE footnotes. *must read this soon!*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness I am SO EXCITED to read this one!!! It just sounds so amazing and hilarious and altogether PERFECT. Love your review as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Footnotes are always a solid selling point for me! I'm so happy I have this one in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  19. FOOTNOTES FTW! I loved them in AN ABUNDANCE OF KATHERINES. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

    I couldn't really get into GOING BOVINE, and I was pretty turned-off by all the bad language. Is this book as vulgar? I hope not, because I've wanted to read it for a while. If it is clean, I'll pick it up. Then I just have to worry about concealing that cover....

    Thanks for the review, Audrey!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*