Thursday, April 14, 2011

movies In My brain: Underrated Movies

movies In My brain is a week-long movie event where all book-related posts are put on hold and movies reign supreme! It runs from April 10 to 16, and click here to find more movie posts and learn how to participate.
**


This post doesn't need much explanation, does it? But maybe just that this list is just my opinion from my wee lil town xD Perhaps these movies were hyped up more elsewhere, but from my experiences, these are the not-so-mentioned movies that shouldn’t be missed!

UNDERRATED MOVIES (of 2010)


The Kids are All Right

~Annette Bening, Julianne Moore, Mark Ruffalo



I just reviewed this one today, but wanted to pimp it again. I think this is the very essence of what contemporary movies should be like: realistic, heartfelt, and if needed—with a dash of humour.



Winter’s Bone
~Jennifer Lawrence, Shelley Waggener, Garret Dillahunt



This girl is the new Katniss! Which is one of the only reasons I watched this, haha, plus it also got some Oscar buzz. I think Lawrence’s performance carried this movie because if she didn’t own it, this movie would just be suckage. I didn’t find it extremely entertaining, but I thought the rich characters were enough to keep me intrigued. Didn’t love this, but I think it’s still worth seeing.



Going the Distance

~Drew Barrymore and Justin Long


First, it’s Rated R, not appropriate to watch with mothers (ahem, awkward). Buuut, I’m surprised that this hasn’t been hyped! It’s kind of like a romantic comedy but not really, I really thought the stand-out of the movie was the chemistry between the two leads. Things felt genuine, witty, and overall a really decent movie about the hardships of long distance relationships. Compared to sub-par rom-coms like When in Rome, it’s definitely enjoyable. I think the trailer is pretty freaking awesome too: click here!



The Other Guys
~Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg


Dude, this is funny. My personal opinion because my friend thought it was cheesy (and I’d like to point out here that I am VERY good at spotting cheesy cringe-y movies and this one is NOT one of them… to me). The first 30 minutes had me on the floor but it did lose a lot of steam towards the end. However, there are enough funny parts to keep me giggling, I watched this movie twice! I’m not a huge movie-rewatcher (unless, of course, it’s Mean Girls or The Notebook or something on TV all the time)



Never Let Me Go
~Carey Mulligan, Keira Knightley, Andrew Garfield


I saw this trailer. Too many times (not kidding). Then I read the book. Then watched the movie. Insta-love, man, insta-love. Of all the movies I mention in this post, this one was at the forefront of my mind the entire time because I thought this movie was just damn good. The sly tragedy woven within a tale of friendship, longing and pretty undesirable circumstances, Never Let Me Go stays pretty faithful to the book pulls off the dystopian atmosphere beautifully. It definitely didn’t get as much attention as it deserved because it was pretty freaking awesome. Watch it!*

**

So... which movies do YOU feel are underappreciated this year? Have you seen any of these? And what did you think? :)







*are you impressed I didn't mention Andrew Garfield at all? He is amazing in this movie.

8 comments:

  1. Heh, cool. The Kids are All Right and Winter's Bone are on the top of my netflix queue! I'm so watching them this weekend. :)

    I LOVE Keira Knightley.... but Ishiguro? Not so much. Remains of the Day was torture for me so I'm really hesitant to pick up the book. Maybe I will just watch the movie instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been iffy on The Kids are all Right and Winter Bones but maybe I will put them on my Netflix. I have watched The Other Guys and I thought it was stupid but I am not at all a Will Ferrell fan and not a huge fan of stupid comedies and the other movies I don't think I have heard much said about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to review Never LEt Me Go to express what an impact it had on me, but it left me at such a loss for words. Even now looking back on it; I can't find words that are enough to describe what I felt. I loved it, I was horrified by it, brought to tears and deeply moved. More people should watch it because it's just amazing.

    I share you're thoughts on Winter's Bone. I thought the characters carried the story. Lawrence was really able to bring emotion into the story and shook me up at the end when they took her out to her father.

    I'll have to check out Going the Distance. I kind of let that one slip right under my radar, but it sounds like you enjoyed it so I'll give it a shot :)

    http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the trailer for Never Let me Go way back some time last year and thought it looked really good, so got the book but couldn't really get into it. It kinds put me of the movie because if I don't like the book I usually dont like the movie. But I think I might check it out when its out on DVD :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with you about Never Let Me Go. The book blew my mind, and the movie did a wonderful job capturing that poignant melancholy and sadness that made the book so beautiful to me. Keira, Carey, and Andrew = Yes, please! I've heard some really lovely things about Winter's Bone, so it's definitely on my To-Watch list. Another great post, Audrey :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL. I was very surprised you didn't mention Andrew Garfield!

    I haven't watched any of these movies. I really need too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm the only person I know that actually LOVED Step Up 3-D! It is totally under appreciated! JS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. JENNIFER LAWRENCE! I have yet to watch this! I'll give it a try...but if you didn't find it entertaining, then I might not either. Still, I'll watch it some day.

    Lol I watch romantic comedies with my mom all the time. Idk if Going the Distance will make it awkward :$ But uhh I've heard of this movie before. I dont know if I've watched it or not, LOL. Oh right, I didn't. Ahh, really wanted to!

    :O Haven't heard of The Other Guys. Must watch it immediately.

    I haven't watched any trailers from Never Let Me Go since I dont wanna be spoiled badly! I need to read the book first, and that's a strict rule for me. Lol. But glad you loved it instantly, haha. ANDREW GARFIEEEEEEEELD! Hey, you mentioned him eventually. That counts, girl ;)

    Oh, what a long comment this is. Again.

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*