Wednesday, April 13, 2011

movies In My brain: Movie Thoughts: The Fighter

movies In My brain is a week-long movie event where all book-related posts are put on hold and movies reign supreme! It runs from April 10 to 16, and click here to find more movie posts and learn how to participate. I think by now you've kinda figured out that I'm prett much a mainstream kind of gal, but I am working on changing that! I'm hoping to watch The Princess Bride soon after all your recs :)
**


Summary

The Fighter is a movie based on a true story about boxer Micky Ward, coming from a run-down town with a big family and a cocaine-addict brother. With so much to overcome, it’s one of those underdog stories, but I felt it was much more than that.


My Thoughts

The Fighter is something I like to categorize as a ‘boy movie’ which isn’t really the right thing to do but oh well, and I think it’s definitely a movie that will appeal to guys more than girls. But I’m a girl and I still liked it, so what the heck. Of all the outstanding performances, Christian Bale (the brother) is the one that stands out and he pretty much steals the scenes.

The aspect I think I enjoyed most would be the conflicts of family. Micky is so much made up and defined by his relationship with his mother and brother that when he finds a girl, no doubt big issues would pop up. I thought all this was handled very well, and sometimes I just want to scream at Micky “don’t you realize that your family is only bringing you down” but that’s just the way it goes.

Popcorn Review: An action-y boyish movie with essence under its glamour of boxing, addiction, family and hardships of life.

8/10

2 comments:

  1. Loved the Fighter! Great acting from everyone, especially Bale and Wahlberg. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah my dad wanted to watch this. That reminded me of your description of this movie as "an action-y boyish", haha. I'd have to agree. But I think i'd enjoy it. I enjoy lots of movies, you see. Today and last night, I had a wedding movie night marathon! Haha.

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*