Monday, April 11, 2011

movies In My brain: Movie Thoughts: The Social Network

movies In My brain is a week-long movie event where all book-related posts are put on hold and movies reign supreme! It runs from April 10 to 16, and click here to find more movie posts and learn how to participate.
**

Disclaimer: I’m not a movie critic, these are just my thoughts.


Summary: The Social Network, do I need to really summarize it? Basically it follows three-ish storylines, one of Mark Zuckerberg and his creation of Facebook and the problems it causes. The second and third are lawsuits between him and his best friend Eduardo, and betweeen him and the Winklevoss’s (who claim he stole their idea).


My Thoughts

Easily, one of my favourite films of the year. I don’t pretend to know about editing and scripts and stuff, but I can just say the way the dialogue flowed partnered with the cast’s performance made me naturally assume that the script is excellent. Nothing feels awkward or forced (apart from the natural awkwardness of Zuckerberg… well, my assumptions tbh) and I thought the way the story was told (editing, I assume) kept from sounding like a sob story and/or a preachy one.

Zuckerberg isn’t the most sympathetic protag, he can be rude, self-absorbed, ridiculous.. but that three dimensionality to him made him freaking interesting. I love Andrew Garfield (Eduardo Saverin, the best friend, in the movie) so yeah… his face rocks, his performance rocks, and even his character is sympathetic at times. Watching how things escalated and started falling apart for the two former best friends refrained from being boring.

What I definitely enjoyed was seeing the three (or more) sides of the same story instead of being spoon-fed a biased POV, and albeit the ending was abrupt, I can’t deny the journey getting there was fascinating. If you're worried this is a movie preaching Facebook and it's harms/effects, it is so NOT. I did find the ultimate irony of the film very ironic... go figure.

Popcorn review: A uniquely generational film with great acting and script, the way it was put together makes it easy for audiences to become invested in the facinating story.

9/10

8 comments:

  1. How amazing is Andrew Garfield? He's my new obsession. One of them, anyway. I also loved the Winklevii in this! It's a great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to watch this. I have heard so many good things about it including Andrew Garfield's gorgeous face :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Mark Zuckerberg's character! I have a thing for abrupt, sarcastic people. But him aside, The Social Network was amazing! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i haven't seen this yet! BUT i do have it on reserve at my library :D

    loved the review and i think i am going to love this movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a great movie! Will have to watch it even though I don't like using Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing movie. I didn't expect much from it, so was blown away when it turned out to be so good! Fantastic review Audrey dear :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice review! I've been wanting to see this one for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really, really loved this movie! I went to see it with my mom at the theater. She was the one who suggested we see it. I didn't really know what to expect. The suggestion was out of the blue. I ended up really liking it. (And really liking Andrew Garfield whom I did not know had a British accent until weeks after I saw this movie). I agree with what you said about Zuckerberg's natural awkwardness. I think it's a part of him. But ah, the acting was phenomenal!

    (I'm trying to catch up with the comments Audrey! Woo!) :D :D

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*