Saturday, April 16, 2011

movies In My brain: Favourite Movies of 2010!

movies In My brain is a week-long movie event where all book-related posts are put on hold and movies reign supreme! It runs from April 10 to 16, and click here to find more movie posts and learn how to participate.
**


This is it! Well, for me, because I’ve got a very awesome guest post after this. But dun dun dunn the big reveal. My absolute favourite movies I watched in 2010/early 2011. Since I’m a quote person, I’ll include some favourites as well. The ones with "" are my elite-faves xD

In no specific order:


Inception
(2010)

I don’t know if I can make it through the post without mentioning this movie. I loved it! I loved the smart-ness of it, the action, the effects, the storyline, and everything else. Here’s my review if you aren’t convinced!
Eames: [Shows up while Arthur is in a gunfight] You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
[Pulls out a grenade launcher]


Ariadne: What's happening?
Arthur: Your subconscious is looking for the dreamer; me. Quick, give me a kiss.
Ariadne: [She kisses him and then looks around]
Ariadne: They're still looking at us.
Arthur: Yeah, it was worth a shot.



Iron Man 2 (2010)

Being originally reluctant about watching this, I kind of fell in love with this series. I’m totally sucker for narcissistic, witty characters played by Robert Downey Jr. It’s hilarious and I don’t care if you don’t agree!! And Stark + Pepper are just too great together
Senator Stern: My priority is to get the Iron Man weapon turned over to the people of the United States of America.
Tony Stark: Well, you can forget it. I am Iron Man. The suit and I are one. To turn over the Iron Man suit would be to turn over myself, which is tantamount to indentured servitude or prostitution, depending on what state you're in. You can't have it.
Senator Stern: Look, I'm no expert...
Tony Stark: In prostitution? You're a senator. Come on.

Tony Stark: [puts down a disgusting-looking dish]
Pepper Potts: What is that?
Tony Stark: This is your in-flight meal.
Pepper Potts: Did you just make that?
Tony Stark: Yeah. Where do you think I've been for three hours?



The Social Network (2010)

I think this generational film appeals to the masses. It’s extremely well done and entertaining, keeping me hooked onto the various storylines. The performance by the cast was stellar, and the way the movie unfolded was brilliant. Plus, I really loved the dialogue—it’s smart, witty and realistic. Definitely recommended!

Mark Zuckerberg: You know, you really don't need a forensics team to get to the bottom of this. If you guys were the inventors of Facebook, you'd have invented Facebook.

Larry Summers: Harvard undergraduates believe that inventing a job is better than finding a job.

Mark Zuckerberg: I went to my friend for the money because that's who I wanted to be partners with. Eduardo was the president of the Harvard Investors Association, and he was also my best friend.
Gage: Your best friend is suing you for six hundred million dollars.
Mark Zuckerberg: [Sarcastically] I didn't know that, tell me more.

Marylin Delpy: You must really hate the Winklevosses.
Mark Zuckerberg: I don't hate anybody. The "Winklevii" aren't suing me for intellectual property theft. They're suing me because for the first time in their lives, things didn't go exactly the way they were supposed to for them.


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I
(2010)

OH MY GOD I can’t believe this series is coming to an end!!!!! *sniff* It’s the end of an era! I loved the idea of HP7 more than the movie, plus with the upcoming conclusion and action and deaths and freaking awesomness I’m excited. The movie was decent but yeah.. I liked the idea of this final instalment a bit more than the execution, but it doesn’t matter though because I’m still gonna sob buckets when it’s all over.

Bellatrix Lestrange: You stupid elf! You could have killed me!
Dobby the House Elf: Dobby never meant to kill! Dobby only meant to maim, or seriously injure!

Ron Weasley: Hey!
Hermione Granger: You... complete arse, Ronald Weasley! You show up here after weeks, and you say 'Hey'?

Hermione Granger: Actually I'm highly logical which allows me to look past extraneous detail and perceive clearly that which others overlook.

Ron Weasley: How long do you think she'll stay mad at me?
Harry Potter: Just keep talking about that little ball of light touching your heart, and she'll come 'round.

Harry Potter: I want to bury him. Properly, without magic.


The Princess Bride (1987)

After Yahong’s post, a few of you recommended this movie and I have actually been wanting to watch it for a while… so I did! And let me tell you, it is pretty freaking awesome. After I got over the fact there some Zorro-wannabe running around in a mask and totally bought into the story… it was just so wicked. It’s an eclectic kind of humour that was reminiscent of Monty Python… plus there’s a villain called Prince Humperdinck. Boo yeah. So THANK YOU guys for the recommendation!

“My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.”

Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Buttercup: We'll never survive.
Westley: Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has.

Prince Humperdinck: Surrender.
Westley: You mean you wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept.

Westley: You warthog-faced buffoon.


Honourable Mentions
  • Never Let Me Go (see blueicegal’s review, I liked it a bit more than she did but she wrote a great review of it)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
  • The Kids are All Right
  • The Town

Goals for 2011:

  • Watch more classics! You guys have recommended a ton, and my goal is to watch 5-10 of them :)
  • Watch lesser-known films. I think you could tell I’m a mainstream kinda gal, but I’ve seen some fantastic trailers for lesser-known movies that I’d love to watch.

Movies I want to watch:
  • Blue Valentine
  • Somewhere
  • Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
  • Pride & Prejudice (The BBC version, I seriously need to watch this)
  • Breakfast at Tiffany’s
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
  • True Grit

Well, I think it's pretty obvious what question I'm gonna ask you... What are YOUR favourite movies you watched this year? Am I making any huge mistakes on this list?

16 comments:

  1. Favourite movies of 2010?? Hard to pick I did enjoy Inception *a little confused still thought I knew what was happening lol* I would have to say Eclipse was one of my fave movies being a twilight fan! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite movies I watched last year were Toy Story 3, Inception, and Harry Potter. :D

    I really liked the BBC version of Pride & Prejudice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elcipes and harry potter and the deathly hallows part one as well as toy story 3 (saw it on DVD but still)

    those would be my top favorites I think

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I loved Scott Pilgrim so much! I've never laughed so hard while watching a movie- I really hope you enjoy it when you watch it.

    Also, you picked my exact 2 favorite parts of Inception :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. FANTASTIC POST! I agree with Inception and The Social Network and The Princess Bride (that one I watched in school like dozens of times!). Woo! I didn't watch the first Iron Man...I know, I suck. Lol. And Harry Potter? Well, I have to watch it from the very beginning. :D
    Ooh, classics. That's my goal too! How about the new Jane Eyre movie? I must watch that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! And YAAAAY Princess Bride! It's my favourite movie ever, I'm SO glad you enjoyed it! How awesome is Westley? And Inigo? And Fezzik? "Anybody want a peanut?" Gah I love that film so much.
    My fave movies of the past year would have to include:
    -Toy Story 3
    -Tangled
    -Kick-Ass
    -The King's Speech
    -Bridesmaids
    -Jane Eyre
    -Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 1
    -Eclipse
    -Up
    -Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
    -Shutter Island

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Princess Bride!!!

    I really didn't watch too many movies last year but Tomorrow When The War Began and also Love and Other Drugs were my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know what I was expecting from Blue Valentine but what I got was not very impressive. Yes, it was a heartfelt movie, but it didn't have the impact I think it was aiming for.

    And hehehehe I rented Iron Man 2 and Never Let Me Go tonight! I still need to watch Inception. Thanks for the recs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh yeah that Pride and Prejudice version is really good. And has Colin Firth in it...enough said. :)

    He looks incredibly young too hah :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like Missie I was disappointed in Blue Valentine - very well acted but really came across as pointless in my opinion.

    Some great picks there, but the best for me of 2010 (having not seen Black Swan or True Grit which look amazing yet) was the Fighter, superb movie with fantastic performances from Wahlberg and Bale in particular.

    BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice is well worth checking out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Megan- haha I agree, I had to actually pay attention for that movie! :P

    AJ- ooh great choices! And yepp, BBC P&P will deffs be watched soon :)

    kate- cool beans! Great list!

    Pepsivanilla- HEHE after I saw you comment I went and watched it.. I agree it was hilarious!! The comedic timing was just insanely funny :) And I agree, my fave parts as well xD

    Justine- woot! I can't believe it took me so long to watch The Princess Bride! Ooh, and I'm desperate to watch JE, i even bought the book so I can read it first =)

    Belle- YAYY Looove that list, 2010 seems to have been a great year for movies, eh? AGHH Princess Bride was just fantastic ;) Loved all those characters and the quirkiness of it all!

    Nic- I'm SO glad I watched it.. took me long enough! I really liked Love and Other Drugs as well! =)

    Missie- I don't know what I was really expecting from Blue Valentine, I think I hoped it would be like.. a hidden gem. It's good to know that it isn't exactly amazing though, so thank you! Hehe, I really hope you enjoy those movies!! =D

    Rebecca- WOOT Definitely think I'll be watching it over easter break!

    YYY- Mhmm, I'm not sure if I'm gonna be watching it now, I think I definitly had unrealistic expectations. Maybe i'll watch it for the performances, but I don't think acting alone can carry a movie if the plot falls flat. Ohh totally agree with The Fighter, Christian Bale (and everyone else!) acting was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list! I've only seen the HP movie, but both Inception and The Social Network are on top of my to-see list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have some movie watching to do. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. l have watched the first three in this listed and liked all three.
    Inception is SO confusing but yet so great. Iron Man 2 is just amazing and The Social Network is slow going but still a good watch =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVED INCEPTION!! Harry Potter was slightly disappointing to me somehow; probably because I've read so many fanfictions with better endings...

    Haven't watched any of the rest, but I plan to now (especially The social Network). Thanks for the list!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*