Friday, April 15, 2011

Guest Post: Tomorrow When The War Began

movies In My brain is a week-long movie event where all book-related posts are put on hold and movies reign supreme! It runs from April 10 to 16, and click here to find more movie posts and learn how to participate.
**


So taking a tiny step away from books and back to movies, I'm ecstatic to introduce the truly awesome Nic of Irresistible Reads. She runs one of my favourite book blogs, so I was not surprised to see that the guest post she wrote was just equally fabulous! Welcome, Nic!


**

Movie Review: Tomorrow When The War Began

First up, thank you to Audrey for having me! For those of you who don't know me I am Nic and I am from all the way over in Australia. Over at my blog I am usually going on about some Aussie book that needs to be read but today I am all about an Aussie film (that is also an awesome book) TOMORROW WHEN THE WAR BEGAN.

Plot: Tomorrow, When the War Began follows the journey of eight high school friends in a coastal country town whose lives are suddenly and violently upended by an invasion that no one saw coming. Cut off from their families and their friends, these eight extraordinary teenagers must learn to escape, survive and fight back against a hostile military force.

They are two things I love a good book and a good movie. But a book made into the film is always a scary thing especially when it is a favourite. I am always afraid they are going to cut out my favourite scenes or even worse cast somebody I completely dislike. But sometimes they get it right. And that is the case with TOMORROW WHEN THE WAR BEGAN.

Summary of my movie experience:

Before: Hmmm...I suppose I should watch it.
During the movie: Gawd this is good while stuffing face with popcorn.
When it was finished: Holy crap, I want more.


Movie review:

Just like the book I was completely drawn into the world and before I knew it the movie was over and yet I wanted more. Tomorrow When The War Began is full of action and suspense and will have you on the edge on the seat. But that is not all there is. You also got some laughs, some tears and a touch of romance.

The script was pretty faithful to the book. You are not sitting there thinking that didn't happen or they did this, unlike some other movies. Actually you aren't really thinking at all, but just enjoying and soaking it all in. The special effects were great but it is the cinematography that was AMAZING. It really captured some gorgeous Aussie landscape that makes you want to go camping with friends (without the whole getting invaded thing while you are gone).

I was pleasantly surprised by the casting. It is mostly unknown actors and pretty much all Australian expect for Ellie. A great aspect about all the characters was that none of them were that picture perfect typical Hollywood cast. They all looked and sounded like somebody you know. Just easy to relate too and that made you care about the characters. Ellie is played by Caitlin Stasey and she did a brilliant job. She really captures the strength and courage of Ellie. Homer (played by ) was another standout performance. He played the tough troublemaker with a good heart that we all know and love well.

Overall, awesome movies escape. But don't just take my word for it. Here are what some other book reviewers (that loved the book) thoughts are of the movie:

Nomes, a book reviewer from Australia - "I knew what was coming but that didn't stop me from feeling the suspense. And, I cried. Okay, so I don't normally cry in movies (really) but it was like watching my mates (not just characters I was meeting for the first time - but mates from my teen life) and the ending hit me hard."

Tina, a book reviewer from Canada -" This movie feels so realistic that it will change the way you fear. Raw with emotions and punched with action, Tomorrow When The War Begins, will make surviving the only option. Powerful and gripping, my only thoughts after watching this movie was more. "

Now don’t you really want go watch it?

**

the trailer:




Heck, I know I do!! Also... these actors have Australian accents ;) Thank you Nic fro dropping by, check out her blog! And to you lovely readers... have you seen this movie? What did you think??

6 comments:

  1. this movie is BRILLIANT BRILLIANT BRILLIANT

    and NIC did an amazing job of capturing it.

    I REALLY ABSOLUTELY CANNOT WAIT FOR THE SEQUEL

    dftba

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agggggh! Not only are Aussie books hard to get state side, but also the movies. I just searched for this on Netflix and Amazon, and no luck. :(

    I guess that is a good thing. It will give me a chance to read the book first, but wow! This movie review is great. I loved the bit about your movie experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the trailer and I had a hard time getting sucked in. I have yet to watch the movie so maybe I'll be proved wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so want to see this movie saw the trailer on tv a few days ago and it looks awesome just my sort of movie. I didn't realise it was an Australian production. When I saw the trailer I recongised one of the actresses from being in Neighbours lol. I reali cant wait to see this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this movie! And i really liked it! :) The books are awesome too!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*