Saturday, April 16, 2011

Guest Post: Book to Movie Adaptations

movies In My brain is a week-long movie event where all book-related posts are put on hold and movies reign supreme! It runs from April 10 to 16, and click here to find more movie posts and learn how to participate.
**


Oh my gosh! movies In My brain is coming to an end, it's been a busy week, eh? Last post before the wrap-up! This one I've been saving until the end because I think it totally brings us full-circle... back to books! My fellow movie lovers, please welcome Rebecca from Rebecca-Books!!


**

Hello blogosphere *waves excitedly*. I'm Rebecca and I run a book blog, Rebecca-Books. One thing I love (and sometimes hate) about reading books is that now, in the movie world, they can easily be turned into movies/TV series which give you an idea of them in real life, not just in your head.

Some of my favourite adaptations are 'The Diary of Anne Frank' (TV - 2009), 'Ballet Shoes' (TV - 2009), 'Pride and Prejudice' - Both the Colin Firth (Series - 1995) and the Keira Knightley movie (Film - 2005) and 'The Devil Wears Prada' (Film - 2006).

Anyway. There are many book adaptations that are in the pipeline this year so here is some of the most anticipated books to be released in the remainder of this year:


1. Red Riding Hood - 15th April - starring Amanda Seyfried (Mamma Mia!), Shiloh Fernandez (Jericho)

This is loosely based on the fairytale but adds a more Dark Romance feel to the traditional story. Here, Valerie played by Amanda Seyfried lives in a village haunted by a werewolf and is starting to fall in love with the mysterious orphaned woodcutter, despite her family's displeasure of the match.

I like how they've played more on the romance of the Woodcutter and Red Riding Hood, normally just focused on the Wolf and eating the Grandmother etc. The main bulk of the story. This does seem to have the whole 'Twilight' theme going on which is hardly surprising as the director is Catherine Hardwicke - the director of Twilight. I've seen the trailer and looks like a very beautifully shot film as they've made the red cape stand out constantly.



2. Something Borrowed - 6th May - starring Kate Hudson (Bride Wars), Ginnifer Goodwin (A Single Man), Colin Egglesfield (All My Children)

You always have those 'Chick Flicks' of the year such as Bride Wars, Mean Girls, St Trinians - this seems like this could be a contender for the one of 2011. This movie, based on the book on the same name by Emily Giffin, features two best friends Darcy and Rachel whose relationship is tested when Rachel falls for Dex, Darcy's fiance. Kate Hudson, who I personally really like, is always hilarious in roles like this and for me especially in Bride Wars. This looks like a feel-good film to go with your girlfriends one rainy afternoon. Could be really good...or really bad.


3. Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part II - 15th July - starring Daniel Radcliffe (December Boys), Emma Watson (Ballet Shoes), Rupert Grint (Thunderpants)

Yes...this is the last and final Harry Potter film ever. The last one in the long running series francise. I would think this is one of the most anticipated at least on this side of the Atlantic (in England) especially as they are primarily filmed over here and have mostly English actors.

This continues straight after the last one with Harry Potter's quest to find the Horcruxes to finally defeat Voldm- sorry, He Who Must Not Be Named. I must admit, I am not a massive Harry Potter fan myself but I think I shall be sad to see the series go as I've grown up with the books and the films as have the young actors who play the main characters. This should be the best yet, hopefully. And I hope they end it on a good note, much like the book.

It will be nice to see Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson go on to do different roles.



4. Jane Eyre - 9th September - starring Mia Wasikowska (Alice In Wonderland), Michael Fassbender (Inglourious Basterds), Jamie Bell (Billy Elliot)

This is another adaptation of the Charlotte Bronte novel, however, it is being made for the big screen i.e. the cinema and by most reports, is staying more true to the novel unlike the last version made of it in 1996 which alters the second half of the film.

Jane Eyre follows the life of a young girl, Jane and the events that happened in her life as she grew up and then, her employment where she meets Mr Rochester who is in a loveless marriage until he meets the new governess which is of course, Jane. To me, this story reminds me of 'Pride and Prejudice' and other Jane Austen novels, although written at a different time period.

Lovely period costumes, impressive to-die-for houses and of course, the wonderful (hopefully handsome) Mr Rochester are all musts for this film - all things a historical fiction reader should love. This is probably going to be the Historical Movie of the Year.



5. The Three Musketeers - 14th October - starring Logan Lerman (Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief), Ray Stevenson (King Arthur), Matthew Macfadyen (Pride and Prejudice)

What I find interesting about the casting is there is Logan Lerman, who is 19, then, Ray Stevenson, who is 46, and then Matthew Macfadyen, who is 36 - so a bit of an age gap. Not sure how that will work but oh well, I love a bit of Logan Lerman and Matthew Macfadyen *thinks dreamily of Pride and Prejudice* ahh.

Anyway, this looks interesting and this is the first adaptation of the millenium of this classic. My other favourite is the Disney version of this story with Mickey Mouse, Goofy and Donald Duck as the Three Musketeers....Great.

This story is basically about three servants in the palace helping out their Princess, played by Milla Jovovich in this version, and learn to become Musketeers and about friendship and teamwork with one another.

And a plus for this one: IT'S GOING TO BE IN 3D. Yes, that is right, I am looking forward to this one...



6. Adventures of Tin Tin - 26th October - starring Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead), Daniel Craig (James Bond), Nick Frost (Paul), Jamie Bell (Billy Elliot)


TIN TIN IS BACK! The young boy and his little dog were last seen in 1992 in the TV series adaptation of the books. Now they are back with a star studded cast and is going to be directed by....Steven Spielburg (War of the Worlds) and is also written by Doctor Who writer, Steven Moffat so this should be a good one. With the likes of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost added in, this should be a funny, enlightening movie which for some should re-live their childhood of the Tin Tin adventures.

Tintin and his friends discover directions to a sunken ship commanded by Captain Haddock's ancestor and go off on a treasure hunt. This sounds to me like the first movie in maybe another series of them, so there might be more on the way! Even though, I'm probably too young to remember Tin Tin, I'm looking forward to this one.



7. Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn: Part I - 18th November - starring Kristen Stewart (Speak), Robert Pattinson (Remember Me)


*WARNING* I hate Twilight with a vengence so I'm pretty negative about how I thought I only had to live through one more movie, and then found out that it's doing a Harry Potter and spliting the last book in half. Great. Woop Woop.

Anyway, for those who are big fans of Twilight, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner haven't left completely yet. For those who have been living in a cave for the last 3 years, Twilight follows the story of Bella and Edward and their relationship with one another. Edward is a vampire and comes from a family of them but while Bella doesn't mind this, other people do and are out to threaten their relationship including Jacob, Bella's friend, who is also hiding a secret. Breaking Dawn is the last in the series of books by Stephanie Meyer (Thank God). This is probably one of the most anticipated books for teenagers both in a good way and a bad way. The last ever one *sniff sniff* is being released some time next year.



8. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - 26th December - starring Daniel Craig (James Bond), Stellan Skarsgard (Mamma Mia), Rooney Mara (The Social Network)

Now before you think, 'But there's already a movie of this book!'. That was the Swedish version. They are doing an English version of it and this is it. I think it could be interesting to see what it's like compared to the original movie which received a BAFTA for Foreign Language film. This follows a journalist in search for a woman who has been missing -- or dead -- for forty years and is aided by a young female hacker.

This certainly sounds like one of those more 'different' films and if I remember, is quite violent and disturbing at an 18. With the names in it though, I would guess they'll try and make it more suitable for a wider audience which could be interesting to see while still trying to stay true to the original.

--

There are also rumoured adaptations of some YA books either being released later this year or start filming this year for a 2012 release date:
- Uglies by Scott Westerfeld.
- Hunger Games - this is happening and the casting process is happening at the moment
- If I Stay - The Twilight director was supposed to be helping with filming but apparently isn't. There are rumours of Dakota Fanning playing the lead, Mia.
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower - this is definitely happening and is being released next year and so far featuring Emma Watson and Logan Lerman.


* Dates are ones that I have found on Internet so might be US or UK release dates, depending on where film is made.

So there you are - some of the summer/winter releases of 2011! These all look like they could be award winning movies for next year's Oscars or BAFTA's. Hope you enjoy the rest of movies In My Brain and thank you so much to Audrey for allowing me to guest post. She's amazing! :)

**


Oh, what an awesome list!! I thought I would highlight some awesome bits: Logan Lerman. and HARRY POTTER. And everything else. I want to thank Rebecca again for dropping by and writing a fantastic guest post! Don't forget to stop by her blog, and the question to you: Which book to movie adaptations (YA or otherwise) are YOU looking forward to most??

4 comments:

  1. oh I love you right now. And feel special :)

    I would like to say a BIG MASSIVE THANK YOU to Audrey on behalf of all those who commented and appreciated this Movie week - it was very enjoyable and different and looks like a lot of organisation went into it.
    Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. TIN TIN *dies of memories* Ooooh I must go search up my old Tin Tin movies. Even if they're all in Belgian-French. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my there is loads am looking forward to Harry Potter and Breaking Dawn of course. Also am goin read Red Riding next month and want to see the movie as well. I want to see The girl with the dragon tattoo as well later in the year. There are so many great ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found this post through A Bookful of Thoughts blog.

    Thank you so much for sharing this!I know this is a bit late, ha, but I really enjoyed reading this.

    So many I hadn't heard of, but some I knew. And omg, Uglies might be becoming a movie?! I've been dreaming of this for a LONG time. Since freaking middle school probably. =D

    I'll have to check into it.

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*