Tuesday, April 26, 2011

fictional characters i'd Name my Daughters after

So... I'm very slow on the uptake*. I was browsing through Bibliophile Brouhaha and found an awesome Top Ten Tuesday post about, well, duh (see title). Anyways, that TTT is a few weeks (months?) old, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, but I really liked the idea so HAHA I SHALL STEAL IT. Yeah, so please know I didn't think of the idea myself.


GIRL NAMES (next time I shall do boy names! Yay!)


Elizabeth
Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice, obviously!! Does this need an explanation? Love her to death, and this book.

Taylor
Taylor Markham from Jellicoe Road. I was initially just ehh on the name, but it's grown on me. Maybe one day I can email Melina Marchetta and tell her I named my kid after one of her characters (won't that be a pleasant surprise?) xD

Liesel
Liesel from The Book Thief. I adore, no, I am in love with this book. Liesel is one of my favourite literary characters.. I have no words. If you haven't read this, you are seriously missing out!!

Piper
Piper from How I Live Now. I love the name, and she's such a fantastic character in the book! Also, it alludes to The Piper's Son, but shhhh!

Auden
Auden from Along for the Ride. I wish I were more into literature, or maybe I'll study it so I have a legit reason for having Auden as my kid's namesake. However, for now, I shall just be content with the fact that it starts with "aud" like Audrey, and it's unique and awesome.

Mandarin
Mandarin Remey from Like Mandarin. Too many Mandarin's stuck together. I just looove the name, seriously, it just speaks to me. It's exotic and different and beautiful! Gahh. I even have my Tumblr header/name quoted from this book :)

Luna
Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter. Do I need to really tell you why? I love that character so friggen much.

Vera
Vera from Please Ignore Vera Dietz. Frist, I want a father like Ken Dietz. Second, I can't help but tip my hat to the spunky protag of this amazing book. She's definitely one of the more memorable characters for me this year.

Eddie
Eddie Reeves from Fall for Anything. To be honest, I just like the name :) Eddie Reeves is kind of ~emotional xD

**


Honourable Mentions (aka fantastic character, not so much the name): Francesca, Katsa, Katniss, Viola, Mia, Rose, Hermione


Okie, I'm out of ideas and it's time for bed. Easy question to you guys: Which female characters would you name your daughters after?







*speaking of Slow on the Uptake, since when was Selena Gomez cast as Hannah for 13 Reasons Why?!??! How did I not know this?!

18 comments:

  1. Some great picks! Taylor would be on mine. I like the idea of Piper too (seriously anything that leads me to thinking about Thomas Mackee is always a good thing).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great topic! I am with you on Elizabeth and Auden, such great names and such great characters. I haven't read How I Live Now but I've loved the name Piper ever since watching Charmed.

    I love Lyra but I already named my son after a character from His Dark Material so that might be pushing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh! this post is hilarious!

    i'd use: taylor, liesl and piper as well :)

    although none of my kids are named after characters, LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. and haha at nic's comment

    she is so desperate, that girl! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Luna, Viola, and Vera. Great post! So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. gah! i've wanted to name my daughter auden ever since i read along for the ride!and i do love w.h. auden's poetry. but my best friend says that if i do, she'll call her "oddie." so...i've settled for audrey instead. it's still a beautiful name, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My number one choice is actually from a TV show (but still fictional)- Effy, short for Elizabeth, from BBC's Skins. I love Viola (12th Night) And I totally agree that Piper and Mandarin are great girl names!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Selena Gomez was cast weeks ago or something...but err, I don't want her in that movie! I'm just saying!

    Ok anyway, I loveeee the names Luna, Taylor and Piper. I've yet to read some books that were mentioned here and it's making me so excited! AND AHH I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE BOY NAMES!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome list. :) LOL. I think I am determined to name at least one kid of mine after a Potter character. Because that is the coolest thing ever!!!! Luna is pretty safe though. I think my kid would hate me if I named him Scorpius... But that's a boy name... :P Can't wait for that list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Auden! Gorgeous. I think I will cast some WIP character that name. :) And Liesel OMG The Book Thief is so good. And you know what RAWKS about Elizabeth? How many nicknames you can make out of it. SO cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Finley Jayne from The Girl in the Steel Corset.

    (\___/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nic- HEHEHE DID YOU SEE NOMES' COMMENT? xDDDD I love you Aussie ladies :)

    Alexa- Is it WILL? IS IT WILL? *jumps up and down excitedly* =D

    Nomes- AHAHAHAA I snorted, your comment is just gold. <33

    Juju- Yay! :)

    hannah- Aww 'oddie' is just too cute! Totally fell in love with that name when reading AFTR as well :)

    kathleenliz- oh, love that nick name! I haven't seen the show though, I plan to!

    Justine- ME NEITHER *shudders* I had no idea, haha ;P Eep, so glad you're excited! I'm brainstorimg right now, this post came to me in like 15 minutes :P

    Cialina- hehe, I would hope so, with your *amazing* blog name! SCORPIUS! for your child's sake... don't do it :P

    Yahong- I know! I imagine what I'd name my imaginary characters after these awesome ones as well :P Yes for The Book Thief! LOVE that book, way too gorgeous for words.

    Lisa- oh, Finley is such a lovely name!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute meme! Love Auden and Piper.

    We also like Azalea (from ENTWINED by Heather Dixon) and Mia (from IF I STAY by Gayle Forman).

    Btw, we are four YA writers and avid readers, and we just started a new blog to talk about YA literature. It's not so much book reviews as talking about different issues, trends, etc. We are hoping to connect with real teen readers, and we would love to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know exactly which characters I'd name children after! This is such a great idea! I'm going to make a post. :)

    I actually intend to name two of my children after literary characters. Anne (Anne Shirely) and Walter (Walter Blythe).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice list. I like posts like this. Thanks for sharing.

    I've always loved the name Ayla, as in from Jean Auel's The Earth Children's series (aka Clan of the Cave Bear).

    ReplyDelete
  16. We Heart YA- love your blog! :) Thanks for visiting, Azalea is definitely an interesting name :)

    Madeleine- AWW ANNE! I totally missed that one, seriously worthy of a child, I think :P I haven't gotten to Walter, I'm still in love with Gilbert ;)

    Genna- I love lists too :p Cool names!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fun post!

    I can't wait to have a daughter so I can name her Buffy or possibly Summer.

    For a boy, I'd probably go with Atticus or Mackie or maybe even Boone. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Elnora, from A Girl of the Limberlost. Old unknown out of print book that is so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*