Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday

hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine
**

This week's pick totally jumped out at me as I was scrolling through The Story Siren's "Books to Pine For" post; I've read two books (Leftovers and Such a Pretty Girl) by this author and what I remember most about them is the provacative plots and haunting prose. Those are some pretty good points to be remembered for, eh?

Ordinary Beauty
by Laura Wiess

Summary

Seventeen year old Sayre Bellavia grew up knowing she was a mistake, unplanned and unwanted. She's been neglected, used, and left behind. Taken away and put in foster care, then returned to her mother who, for one miraculous year, got sober, found love and became pregnant. When unspeakable tragedy struck, Sayre sacrificed all and stuck by her mother, tried to help her, be important to her even as her mother slipped away into a violent haze of addiction, revealing a heartbreaking betrayal and destroying the only real family Sayre ever had.

Broke, homeless and alone, Sayre struggles to survive and wonders if her mother has ever, even for a moment, actually loved her and if, after a lifetime of being blamed for ruining her mother's life, she still loves the woman who hurt her so badly. Needing the truth, Sayre embarks on an urgent, terrifying journey to reach her mother, who is near death, ravaged by her own destructive behavior, and who alone holds the answer to Sayre's desperate, unspoken question.

A haunting, beautifully written journey of a girl determined to break free from the cycle of self-destruction, and who continues to hope and search for a future—ORDINARY BEAUTY is a gripping and gritty novel that will have both teens and parents talking.

Ordinary Beauty is released June 14, 2011 from MTV Books.
**

Well, experience has taught me that Wiess can more than hold her ground against tough issues. I have very high hopes for this one, and I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it :)

You can read my review of Leftovers by Laura Wiess here.

And if you'd like, you can link your WOW and I'll try my best to stop by!








this book on Goodreads
author website

12 comments:

  1. Cannot wait to read this one either. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, a bigger summary than I've seen recently - now I'm really looking forward to this book! Wonderful choice :D

    Check out my WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds really good, looking forward to it. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw someone feature this last week on their WoW. I don't think it's the type of book for me, but I love the cover.

    Feel free to check out my WoW here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cover on this one! Can't wait to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks promising! Can't wait! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds so sad. I'm putting it on my wishlist.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one sounds great I really like the cover.
    Thank you for sharing.

    I'm your newest follower^^

    My WOW:
    Mysteriousbooks

    ReplyDelete
  9. This doesn't sound like something I would enjoy since it's so depressing, but I was so captivated by the cover. It's gorgeous. I definitely would pick it up based on that alone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your pick! Definitely is one that is high up on my gimme now list :)

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*