Friday, March 25, 2011

Friday's Finest (37)

Friday's Finest is a meme hosted by Justine from A Bookful of Thoughts. It's Justine's 18th birthday today, go wish her a super big HAPPY BIRTHDAY! =D

Rules:
~Post a quote that really stuck to you after reading it in a book.
~Make sure it isn't a spoiler!
~If you'd like, expand on what you think it means and why you chose it.
**

This week’s pick was actually quite simple. I knew which book I was going to use, in fact, I had taken to actually underlining (don’t worry, with a pencil!) phrases and quotes that I adored. More on “drawing in books” later :p But just know it was a personal copy. Anyways, this quote stuck out to me, because it felt that in the whirlwind of what was going on, this single part rang true.

Book: Like Mandarin
by Kirsten Hubbard

Quote

We could liberate a million trophies. We could fill every river to the brim. But it would never fully substitute for liberating ourselves.

**

I felt this quote stood out to me because in many ways, Grace is an extremely relatable narrator, based on how impressionable she is. But in this sense and during her explosive friendship with Mandarin, the more they rebelled and the more they fought against the small-town scene, the more this quote just felt right.

Also, I decided my Tumblr would be much more book-quote related, if you’re interested. Plus some pretty pictures ;)







this book on Goodreads
my review of Like Mandarin
author website / blog / twitter

9 comments:

  1. That quote makes me want to read the book more! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy and meet Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quote and you have tumblr eh? I had no idea! I am very curious about this book after your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two quotes. Each from different books.

    1. "It seemed strange that two people could be in the very same place and see totally different things."
    - Stolen by Lucy Christopher

    2. "I stare at myself, wishing I could have paused my life here. Wishing I could have dangled in the air forever, and never had to endure the excruciating pain that followed." - Playing Hurt by Holly Schindler

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know, it's so amazing to see which parts in your books resonate with readers. I remember the exact moment I wrote those those lines -- I put them in during revisions, once I'd really understood the weight of that scene. anyway, I loved your review, and thank you so much for featuring Like Mandarin :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I just love this. I had planned on reading Like Mandarin eventually, but I might just have to bump it up in my TBR since you've been singing its praises. I've been in the mood for some real depth and introspection lately, a break from all of the fluffy, paranormal stories I usually devour. I'm not the biggest fan of contemporary fiction, but I'm trying to branch out some! Great, great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Deep quote. And LOOK -- my first ever meme... http://passthechiclets.blogspot.com/2011/03/fridays-finest.html :) :) :) *poke poke prod prod*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my Friday blog! (I'm following back).

    I really like that quote. I'm been considering adding this book to my TBR. (Moving on to your review now...)

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOU HAVE TUMBLR AHHH! Sweet, I'll go follow you now. :)

    By the way, wow, this quote is so...wise! I've got to read this book. I think I must read the summary first though, LOL. I've heard lots about it but never got around to reading the summary.

    Oh and I already follow you on tumblr! Huh!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*