Monday, March 14, 2011

BR: Desires of the Dead

by Kimberly Derting
The Body Finder series; book II

I really enjoyed The Body Finder so when I saw that Desires of the Dead was the sequel, and I saw the summary, I knew I so had to read it!

Summary (goodreads):

The missing dead call to Violet. They want to be found.

Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered—and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.

As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger.


**
My Expectations: I fully expected to love it! I've been waiting to read it for a long time.
Delivery: fell a bit short, but still enjoyable.
Put-down-ability: Low!! 2.5/10
**

My Thoughts

Desires of the Dead is a solid sequel, I think the author accomplished what she set out to do; there is suspense, mystery, action, and of course, romance.

I think what reviewers and readers will take away most from this novel would be the romantic development between Violet and Jay. I have to admit, I never found myself a fan of the romance due to Jay being way too perfect (which is impressive seeing he probably improved on his perfection in book 2), but I swear to G, I am the ONLY person who feels this way so I'll bet my opinion will not be yours. I'll bet you'll find the romance sizzling, steamy and sweet.

Violet is a more well rounded character in my mind, she has some serious and silly flaws, can be immature, stubborn and jealous, but always tries to do the right thing… these characteristics cause her to be a more interesting character as a whole. Oh, and I just love her relationship with her caring, not-dysfunctional parents, so yay! Jay has the whole nice guy, best friend turned perfect, protective, loving boyfriend act down pat.

Now the mystery. I completely adored the mystery in the first book, and I was just a little disappointed in it in the sequel, it just didn’t have as much oomph as I hoped (I won't divulge details though). The intermittent POV from a mystery girl was nowhere near the intensity as the serial killer in book 1, and the general ‘who-dun-it’ just wasn’t as satisfying. I felt there wasn't enough twists and turns to have me at the edge of my seat.

Despite some misgivings, I still have to say that as an overall novel, I definitely enjoyed it. I read it all in one sitting, and was kept engaged in what was going on by excellent writing courtesy of Derting. The development of the major characters, mostly Violet, was strong and I over-enjoyed (haha, not even kidding) whatever conflicts she had with Jay. Yeah, don’t judge. I watch Gossip Girl too. xD

Rating in HP Terms: Acceptable
Recommended for: All fans of The Body Finder, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed!
Acknowledgements: lovely, 4/5

8/10 – because it’s a good sequel that I wished was just a little bit better (yeah, that adjective is pretty lame). Many of you will just LOVE the romance (esp. if you enjoyed it in The Body Finder) but it just wasn’t for me. The plot is interesting and the solid writing keeps things moving; this series has a unique and fascinating premise that fans of both contemporary and paranormal won’t want to miss.







source: publisher
author website / blog / twitter
my review of The Body Finder

9 comments:

  1. I'm kind of shocked I have never heard of anyone who wasn't completely in love with Jay. I do love that Violet has flaws which make her more real and I love her family. I loved this book and agree that The Body Finder fans will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yeah I'm not the biggest fan of Jay either. He is too perfect. And I'm a little annoyed at how he always gets on Violets case about anything she does that is slightly dangerous. Its like dude give her some room to breath! Great review. Agreed with everything you said. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aghhh. The way to perfect guy.

    I haven't read book one yet, but I own it, so I need to get on that soon. I'm a fan of a good romance and I love how paranormal and contemp are mixing more, so I think I'd like this.

    Thanks Audrey. Glad you found some enjoyment out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you enjoyed the sequel, even with the few problems. I will be buying this one this weekend at the signing. Can't wait to see what I think of it. Thank for sharing your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad it wasn't quite as good. I enjoyed the first book although not as much as most people. I loved the POV from the killer and am disappointed that it's not as good in this one. I'll still probably pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Jay. Normally, I don't go for the way too perfect guy and prefer the flawed bad boy.

    I think all the romantic mush in this book is going to keep me very happy.

    Although it is a little disappointing to hear the thriller side of the story isn't as strong this time.

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a huge fan of the series, but it's not for lack of trying! I really wanted to like these books. There's just something about them, though, that doesn't do it for me. And I thought I was the only one who wasn't a card-carrying member in the Jay fan club! I'm so happy to find another of my kind ;) I just can't stand characters that are too perfect; they're boring as watching paint dry. Give me some emotion, some flaws that I can relate to, you know?
    I enjoyed reading your review! I need to visit your blog more often, obviously :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    I'm Kate Evangelista, author of Taste, and I just wanted to take this time to introduce myself. If you have the time, please stop by The Coffee Bar by using the link below:

    http://kateevangelistanovels.blogspot.com/

    I hope to see you there.

    Sincerely,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cari-... I'm sorry!!! I know, I'm the black sheep :( I've never really met anyone either!

    Julia- lemme correct that first statement, :p Yes, he is not "clingy" per say, but just... everywhere all the time. Not my style tbh :p

    Missie- haha, yeahh, I think you would like it!

    Jami- ooh, lemme know what you think! Lucky you get to go to Kim's signing!

    Alison- Yeah, the 'bad guy POV' in this book is NOWHERE near the creepiness and awesome of book One, IMO

    Nic- LOL I'm usually the opposite, nice guys make me swoon! Though too perfect = no thanks...

    Lilly- HAHA "card carrying member of the Jay fan club".. I will start using that phrase... except in the opposite sense regarding SWOONY BOYS! I am definitely a card-carrying member of the Sarah Dessen Boys fan club!

    Kate- alrighty, thanks for dropping by :)

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*