Saturday, March 26, 2011

Another Cover (4) ; the pledge

Kate from Ghosts of the Still emailed me the other day asking me to do one of these 'Another Cover' posts, then I realized I haven't done one all of March. She was even kind enough to send me a few links to covers and I knew right away which one I would do.

This cover has been floating around for a few weeks (it's on TONS of Waiting on Wednesdays!) and was revealed on the author's blog early March.

Title: The Pledge
Author: Kimberly Derting
Genre: Dystopian!


Summary
Words are the most dangerous weapon of all.

In the violent country of Ludania, the classes are strictly divided by the language they speak. The smallest transgression, like looking a member of a higher class in the eye while they are speaking their native tongue, results in immediate execution. Seventeen-year-old Charlaina has always been able to understand the languages of all classes, and she’s spent her life trying to hide her secret. The only place she can really be free is the drug-fueled underground clubs where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. It's there that she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy named Max who speaks a language she's never heard before . . . and her secret is almost exposed.

Charlie is intensely attracted to Max, even though she can’t be sure where his real loyalties lie. As the emergency drills give way to real crisis and the violence escalates, it becomes clear that Charlie is the key to something much bigger: her country’s only chance for freedom from the terrible power of a deadly regime.

**

My Thoughts

Initially: "Is that a paranormal novel?"

Stop and Stare: You bet! I think it might be the material-ish style of the girl's hood, but something about that pattern makes me do a double-take.

Image: 'Girl looking pretty' beats 'sad girl in a pretty dress', I think. Apart from (like I mentioned) the fishnet-style hood material, the image is a tad generic for me. Also, it doesn't feel dystopian enough, it immediately brings to mind paranormal tbh.

Font: Simple, I like it! I do wish the placement was a bit better (perhaps near the bottom, where it is more clear), and the title just a tad larger though. The detailing on the "P" is hard to see (for the font in white). For the "Pledge" kind of faded in the background, I really like the understated style of it!

Colours: I'm love the starkness of the black, and the contrast it makes with the girls pale skin. The way the larger, faded "pledge" in the background kind of blends in at the beginning, then pops when you notice it is a really nice effect.

HP Rating: Exceeds Expectations

Will I Read? Yep, based on the fact that I enjoyed Derting's other works, the summary sounds great, and the cover looks awesome too!

**

So what do you think? Would you read this based on the cover alone? :)







this book on Goodreads
author blog / twitter


The Pledge is released Nov. 15, 2011 from Simon & Schuster

10 comments:

  1. I have to say this cover would make me pick up the book. Its beautiful! I am also intrigued by the synopsis... Thanks for the post..is this out yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, I totally didn't notice that faded pledge in the background!! Wicked cool. I also love the idea of words, but not yet ANOTHER mysterious hot guy. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. l didn't notice the faded pledge either! lol l am so bad for stuff like that and l only just realised this is a Derting book!! :/
    I love your in depth thoughts and l agree about the font.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mflick- Ooh, awesome! It's out in November, I know! such a long wait! :(

    Yahong- haha, I didn't notice it right away either! And *sigh* is totally right.. :p

    BooksforCompany- that's okay, now you know! Thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book looks amazing! And the cover is gorgeous! I read Kimberly Derting's first novels and they were great, so I'm hoping this book lives up to the hype. Thanks for the post:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cover is okay not amazing really. Yet this is why you are awesome, doing the Meme when you didn't have to but you did because they asked, this is why I adore you. Aww my Audrey :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this cover. I agree it is a bit different from the normal pretty girl in a dress story which I am glad for.

    Also I love the summary. It sounds a little darker than The Body Finder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd definitely read this one based on the cover alone. It looks fantastic! It does have a paranormal look to it, so when I first saw it, I was shocked that it was dystopian.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this cover and the color contrast...but I thought it was paranormal at first too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh purdy. I'd definitely think it's dystopian just by the look of it. Though mostly black and white, i like the small touch of pink (girl's lips)! Lovin this cover :)

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*