Sunday, February 6, 2011

Poetry Slam Sunday (9)


I'm bringing this back! :) Slam Sunday is a new bi-weekly (and sometimes weekly) feature I'm having on my blog, basically every other Sunday I'll share a YouTube clip of awesome spoken poetry that you just can't miss.

Poetry Slam is a competition in which poets recite original work. I love it. Plain and simple, I love the way it combines words, rhythms and performance, the sounds blending together to bring attention to anything and everything. When done well, it has the power to accomplish great things.


**

Thanks a great suggestion from the awesome Justine at A Bookful of Thoughts, I have a great video for you guys today.

Title: I love you
Poet: Paper Girl




This poem is for the people who cannot bring themselves to admit
that they would give their right leg
for any length of time
for their person on their mind.

***

And today I'm including a second video. This isn't intended to be poetry, but it's another one of those spoken word things that is moving and intense and emotional and rivals even the best poems. You've probably seen it on youtube, but I wanted to share it with you because it's such a prevalent topic in society today.
Youtube description:
Zach Wahls, a 19-year-old University of Iowa student spoke about the strength of his family during a public forum on House Joint Resolution 6 in the Iowa House of Representatives. Wahls has two mothers, and came to oppose House Joint Resolution 6 which would end civil unions in Iowa.

Title: Zach Wahls Speaks About Family




My family really isn't so different from yours
after all, your family doesn't derive its sense of worth
from being told by the state
'You're married, congratulations'
No, the sense of family comes from the committment we make to each other
to work through the hard times
so we can enjoy the good ones.
It comes from the love that binds us.
that's what makes a family.

***

I hope you enjoyed these two wonderful videos :)

2 comments:

  1. ON hearing the Zach Wahls speech earlier this week? I hoped he was related to me. My maiden name is "Walls" and I so want to be connected to smart, empathetic, brave people like this young man. Alas, I'm not. But I am so admiring of him.

    Thanks for sharing both videos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mm I love that 'I Love You' poem. It's so touching. :)

    And wow, that guy is a brilliant speaker. The ending is incredible and moving!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*