Friday, February 4, 2011

Friday's Finest (33)

Friday's Finest is a meme hosted by Steff & Justine from A Bookful of Thoughts.

Rules
:
~Post a quote that really stuck to you after reading it in a book.
~Make sure it isn't a spoiler!
~If you'd like, expand on what you think it means and why you chose it.
**

Okay, I'm only like 30 or so pages in to this book, and it's already making my have the LULZ. After reading the sequel, The Year of Secret Assignments, tons of you commented about various Moriarty novels, and many mentioned this book. So I had to read it! Anyways, I hope you read the whole thing because it is some funny stuff xD Enjoy!

Book: Feeling Sorry for Celia
by Jaclyn Moriarty

Quote:
Dear Ms. Clarry,

It is with great pleasure that we invite you to join our Society.

We have just found out about your holiday. It’s so impressive! You had four assignments, an English essay, and a chapter of math to do. And you didn’t do one single piece of homework!

Fabulous!

Also, we have a feeling that you have a history test today. And you’re trying to study now? On the bus? With the Brookfield boys climbing onto each other’s shoulders to get to the emergency roof exit? And with Celia about to get on the bus at any moment? And you think that’s going to make a difference!!!

That’s really very amusing, Elizabeth. We like you for it.

You’re perfect for our Society and we’re very excited about having you join.

Yours sincerely,

The Manager

The Society of People Who Are Definitely Going to Fail High School
(and Most Probably Life as Well!)

I apologize for the funky formatting, I don't know how to do HTML indents. Anyways, much like TYoSA, this book is written in letter format, and instead of from real people we have imaginary and absolutely hilarious people/societies/associations etc. that Elizabeth gets letters from :p Oh well, I hope to finish this book soon :)

8 comments:

  1. I am so excited you are reading this! Can't wait for your thoughts on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore this book, it's one of my favorite contemp YA books and just a comfort read generally. Definitely a fabulous book to cheer you up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, that last line was it! This sounds really cool, and I just saw that it's already on my goodreads list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH man! I remember this book. I read it ages ago. I think I loved it, but I can't remember. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I just love this book SO much! Great quote. I thought the letters were such a brilliant idea to show all Elizabeth's insecurities. Oooh i want to rush off and re-read this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book is so great! I liked it even more than "The Year of Secret Assignments". :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw Feeling Sorry For Celia on my friend's bookshelf just a few hours ago. Wish I saw this post first - I would've borrowed it!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*