Sunday, February 27, 2011

BR: Anna and the French Kiss

by Stephanie Perkins

Book of the Month for February =)

There was actually a ton of hype for this book following its release, with bloggers and authors alike just RAVING about it. However, the cover and the title brought some serious skepticism from me... but still, I was dying to read it because I wanted to see if it was as good as everyone said!

Summary (goodreads):

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris—until she meets √Čtienne St. Claire: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.

As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near-misses end with the French kiss Anna—and readers—have long awaited?

**
My Thoughts

So I could write a straight-forward review with gushing adjectives and hopefully well-formed senteces but screw it. I mean, this review is funner, right?


You will LOVE this book if you fulfill one or more of the following:
  • Have a heart
  • Are relatively emotionally stable
  • Have a brain
  • Are literate or have functioning ears
  • Own an imagination
  • Likes* to read
  • Are a female
  • Or maybe even a male
  • Dreams of perfect boys with beautiful hair and accents
  • Dreams of imperfect boys with height challenges and crooked teeth
  • Thinks the cover and title aren’t doing the book any favours
  • Likes Paris (or the idea of it)
  • Believes in love
  • Is cynical about love
  • Likes thin mints
  • Likes to feel happy occasionally
  • Likes to be constantly happy
  • Likes to grin while reading
  • Likes to swoon while reading
  • Likes endearing protagonists
  • Likes cheering in movies as that cute boy finally gets the courage to ask the main character out
  • Enjoys reading books with great writing
  • Likes my blog
  • Likes Harry Potter
  • Likes awesome authors like John Green, Sarah Dessen, and Maureen Johnson
  • Are a Nerdfighter (DFTBA)
  • Dislikes Nicholas Sparks, or whatever “non-romance-genre-but-who-are-you-kidding” books he writes or stands for

WHY you will love it:
  • The writing is amazing, it's witty and sharp and funny and ten type of lovely.
  • Anna is a relatable, flawed and completely endearing protagonist.
  • √Čtienne St. Clair is an imperfect yet perfect love interest. He used “pants” as a curse word.
  • The relationship development is developed, like holy crap it is
  • All characters are developed and evolve throughout the course of the book
  • It’s in Paris!
  • It's gourmet literature**.
  • It’s funny. And cute.
  • It will make you happy.
  • It will surprise you by how funny and cute it is. And you won’t understand why you’re grinning so much because it’s an understated type of funny and cute. Which I think is the best kind.


You will most likely NOT enjoy this book if you fulfill FOUR or more of the following characteristics:
  • You hate puppies
  • You hate sunshine and rainbows and the smell of spring and idea of Paris
  • You belong in a Satanic Cult that butchers books
  • You eat paper for fun
  • You feel you are above literature (gasp)

Rating in HP Terms:
baby, it's Outstanding.
Recommended for: Seriously?
Acknowledgements: This girl knows how to write her mercis, 5/5!

9.3/10 – because I loved it. I loved the characters and the way they were so well crafted, how they’re relatable and yes, I even loved their flaws. I loved the writing (only had a small grievance about the emphasis on St. Clair's beauty..), how there was both subtle and obvious humour caught between the pages. I loved the plot because it was both fun and serious, and interesting things happen. I loved how I could NOT put down the book. But above all, I loved how it didn’t disappoint me, especially when I thought I would be the black sheep who wouldn’t see what the big deal was. It feels nice to not be disappointed. Please read it and spread the word, because our world can use more books like Anna and the French Kiss.







*Please note that the use of “like” can range from slight enjoyment to OMG LOVE in all cases of its use in this post.
**It
will catch on

Source: bought
author website / blog / twitter

22 comments:

  1. Love the review! =D
    Specially the "you won't like this book if...." section. Brilliant. =)
    Cant wait to get my hands on this book now!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review for an awesome book!

    P.S. I'm ashamed to admit that in my younger years, I ate paper (probably for fun, because, well, why else? For nutrition?).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review!

    I own a copy of this book and will start reading it soon. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Love this review. This is one book that I agree that lived up to the hype. I can't wait for the companion books :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha this is a good interesting review!
    Glad you enjoyed it so much, l look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously there has not been one negative review on this. I'm curious now! Fab review missy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You fabulous girl. This review was so cute. I absolutely loved it. My favorite part, "The Satanic cult that butchers books." LOL

    BRAVO! You made me smile and gave me a new fresh review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, I love the review format, it is definitely a lot more fun. :D I loved this book, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it too. The world definitely needs more amazing books like this, it was sooo good~ Lol, gourmet literature, too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review !! I read this one last week and I can't stop thinking of it !! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah, I LOVE this review so much, almost as much as i love the book.

    and, um, on a random note, DFTBA! :D hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my I adore this review - utterly brilliant and the best one I've read about Anna! So glad you loved it.

    And the phrase gourmet literature has caught on with me - LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice review! This book is actually on my to-read pile. Hope to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved your review! This was one of my favorite reads of 2010. I have yet to read a bad review of this book. Everybody loves it - even the people who thought for sure they'd hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll like it even if I'm cynical about love?! This book now has me with dangerously high expectations lol. Please please don't disappoint me...

    Awesome review. XD

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved the way you decided to switch up your review! It had me laughing from the start!

    I have this one in my TBR pile, and I've heard nothing but great things about it. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy Pants!

    Audrey, You always crack me up! What if you only have half a brain? Will I still like it? :P

    Oh my, this book sounds so full of win, so what the heck is wrong with me that I haven't read it yet?

    Thanks for the super fun review.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hah! I love this review. It was very entertaining to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adorable review, delightful book!
    Both were fun to read =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. hahaha LOVE this review!! and agree COMPLETELY.

    I absolutely ADORE this book--everything about it. I sort of can't wait to forget all about it so I can pick it up and be surprised all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. AUDREY YOURE AMAZING! This review made me grin like it will probably make me grin when I read Anne and the French Kiss! So your mission is accomplished: you've spread your delight! :D I WANT THIS BOOK!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I AM SO HAPPY! I would have felt terrible if, yet again, a book I adamantly recommended failed to please you. But, really, who can resist ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS?!

    I'm sorry it took me so long to read this! I was going through my 230 unread emails, trying to get rid of some, and got to this when I reached February's. I simply couldn't delete it. :)

    -Madeleine

    P.S. I'm down to 112 unread emails! WHOOT!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*