Thursday, February 17, 2011

Author Interview: Siobhan Vivian

Recently, I read Siobhan Vivian's novel, Not That Kind of Girl (see my review) and absolutely loved it! I thought it would be a great idea to interview the author, and I was so nervous pressing that 'send' button, but I'm really glad to finally feature my first author interview on this little blog.

Not That Kind of Girl

Life is about choices, and Natalie Sterling prides herself on making the right ones. She’s avoided the jerky guys populating her prep school, always topped honor roll, and is poised to be the first female student council president in years.

If only other girls were as sensible and strong. Like the pack of freshmen yearning to be football players’ playthings. Or her best friend, whose crappy judgment nearly ruined her life.

But being sensible and strong isn’t easy. Not when a prank nearly gets her expelled. Not when her advice hurts more than it helps. Not when a boy she once dismissed becomes the boy she can’t stop thinking about.

The line between good and bad has gone fuzzy, and crossing it could end in disaster . . . or become the best choice she’ll ever make.


Siobhan Vivian
is the author of 3 YA novels: A Little Friendly Advice, Same Difference, and Not That Kind of Girl. My interview revolves mostly around NTKOG.

**

1. The whole high school scene you created in Not That Kind of Girl was incredibly well defined. What was your high school like, and what type of person were you in in high school?

I went to a typical high school. It was only for my town, and I think there were just over 100 kids in my graduating class. Most of them, I'd known since kindergarten. I was involved in lots of things--sports, drama. I was friendly with a lot of different kinds of kids because I was the class clown. And I was voted most unique of my senior class.

2. Was there any real life experiences that influenced a scene in Not That Kind of Girl?

A few. But it was not the fish stick moment! : )

3. The thing I loved about your novel was my ability to indentify with a variety of characters, whether they were positive or negative traits. Is it easy for you to develop such relatable characters? Do their personalities come naturally to you, or is it an effort to create the diverse cast in your novel?

I love having a collection of diverse characters. And I tend to enjoy stories that aren't so black and white. It's much more dramatically interesting to have good people act badly sometimes, and vice versa. That also helps with the overall tension of the stories...you never know which way things can turn out.

4. What was writing Natalie's voice like? Was she constantly contradicting you, wanting to be in control?

She was! She was a very hard girl to write. I wanted her to be strong, a girl who thinks she always knows best. That sort of personality can easily come off as "unlikeable", so I had to make sure I balanced that side of her with moments of her being loving and devoted to Autumn.

5. Which YA authors would you love to meet one day?

I would love to meet Judy Blume! Though, I will surely cry like a baby!

6. What advice would you give to your imaginary teenage daughter (given that she is currently taking your advice, that is :p)?

Ha! Dude, I LOVE this question. I don't know that this is advice per se, but I would make sure my daughter had as many experiences outside of her hometown as possible. I'd send her away to camp, let her live in the city with a relative, take her on trips to Europe. I want to make sure she knows there is life outside of small time drama. Leaving your home puts a lot of that stuff into perspective. And that life lesson was basically the reason I wrote SAME DIFFERENCE.

7. And lastly, all your published novels so far have been contemporary (yay!). Are you interested in tackling into other YA genres?

I'd like to try my hand at Magical Realism some day, but I think that's about as far as I will stray from contemporary stories. I like the real world, you know?

**

Thank you so so much for the interview, Siobhan, I loved your answers! And it would mean the world to me for you lovely blog readers to leave a little input on my first author interview ;) Also, I wanted to add that I highly, highly recommend her novel, especially you YA contemp fans!

Links:
Author Website / Twitter
Buy NTKOG: IndieBound / Amazon.com / Book Depository / Barnes & Noble


5 comments:

  1. I'm heard so much about this book, and I'm eager to read it. Gotta figure out that fish stick moment. :P

    Great interview questions. I loved that last one. I grew up in a small town where everyone knew everyone. Needless to say, it was very scary when I finally branched out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Missie I am very curious what that fish stick moment is too! I can't wait for my copy to arrive.

    I thought all your questions were awesome and love hearing about the writing process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you DID a FAB job thinking up the questions for this. I loved reading all the answers and have read her first two books but not this one yet :( I am so DYING to read it!

    Have an awesome weekend, mate!

    xo Nomes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great interview, I loved your questions. I've had this on my TBR list for a while, but may have to bump it up based purely on the fish stick moment! like everyone else I am curious now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missie- I hope you read it soon, it's such an awesome book! and the fish stick moment is hilarious ;) Thank youu!! xx

    Nic- Ohh, I cna't wait to hear your thoughts! and thanks!

    Nomes- awhh thank you! I'd love to read her first two books, esp after NTKOG blew me away :) Anyways, i hope you get to read the book soon :)

    Alexa- Thank you!! I hope you like it!!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*