Tuesday, January 11, 2011

BR: The Mockingbirds

by Daisy Whitney

After a wonderful review from Courtney Summers (that lady has awesome taste) and seeing it again on Ten Cent Notes (it kind of refreshed my memory) I bought this (hardcover!) during my bookstore's Boxing Week sale (30% off yay!)

Summary (goodreads)

Some schools have honor codes.
Others have handbooks.
Themis Academy has the Mockingbirds.

Themis Academy is a quiet boarding school with an exceptional student body that the administration trusts to always behave the honorable way--the Themis Way. So when Alex is date raped during her junior year, she has two options: stay silent and hope someone helps her, or enlist the Mockingbirds--a secret society of students dedicated to righting the wrongs of their fellow peers.

In this honest, page-turning account of a teen girl's struggle to stand up for herself, debut author Daisy Whitney reminds readers that if you love something or someone--especially yourself--you fight for it.

**
My Expectations: I've read mixed reviews so I was afraid about expecting too much. But I still hoped it would be awesome :)

Delivery: Exceeded expectations, a very solid book!

Put-down-ability: Garr I had bball practice the next morning but I still stayed up reading... 'one more chapter' running through my head WAY too much. 1.5/10
**

My Thoughts

I organize my bookshelf by having my favourite hardbacks on a row, and when I finished The Mockingbirds, there was no question that it would be safely nestled with good company. Daisy Whitney really tackled a tough issue with dignity and authenticity, I was instantly lulled into the scheme of things from the very first page to the fitting conclusion. The very serious undertones fortunately never became condescending or preachy, thank god. So yeah, it rocked.

As most people commented, this is a very character driven novel, Alex’s personal journey to cope with her date rape is extremely well written and explored. While I didn’t find her character the most lovable, she was undoubtedly a very sympathetic one. Alex makes a mistake—teenagers do that believe it or not—but she doesn’t wallow in self-pity, she does something about it, showing her strength as a character.

The whole aspect of The Mockingbirds (the student group, that is) was fascinating, I loved the idea of it all and the way it was run. I felt some members were a bit flat, they were all up-standing students that lacked real personality so I definitely would have liked to see more of them. However, I totally adored the whole boarding school shenanigan, I felt the author really captured the aura of competitiveness (and homework!) and relationships between students. Also, the references to To Kill a Mockingbird and classical music made me smile.

Which brings me to comment, I love the dynamics of friendship between Alex and her roommates. It was refreshing and felt true, each character had her own place in the story and not just ‘stuck in there because our MC needs a bff’. So yay.

A weaker part of the plot might have been the romance for me, I found it lacked spark, if you get what I mean. It was too ideal it probably doesn’t bode well that two weeks later (as I’m writing this) I don’t even remember the guy’s name. Lastly, the writing in this novel was very strong, these debut authors have some serious skill! I was easily engrossed with the story, and it was legit one of those totally addicting books!

Rating in HP Terms: Exceeds Expectations
Recommended for: YA Contemp fans, yes, this book is like, super contemporary :p. Also, people who don't mind books that deal with more serious themes.
Acknowledgements: aww, fulfilling and nice. 3.5/5

8.9/10
– because I really enjoyed this one. It tackled tough issues but the issues never overwhelmed what the story is really about: self-recovery, growth, and justice. I loved the atmosphere Whitney created at Themis Academy, the idea of The Mockingbirds, and finally, the friendships between Alex and her roomies. A powerful novel for sure.






source: bought
author twitter / blog /
website

8 comments:

  1. what a rocking review! so glad it exceeded your expectations! not out here yet :( but i'm pretty pumped for whenever it comes out!

    x

    and, i so love that one more chapter feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed it. My copy arrived yesterday.

    I like the sound of Alex and that she stood up for herself and done something about what happened to her even thought it was probably harder than just letting things go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate it when I can't remember characters names, I always wonder if that's my fault or if the character wasn't memorable.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Added to my tbr list! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review. I love that it robbed you of sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I loved The Mockingbirds and how Whitney tackled the entire date rape issue.

    P.S. The guy's name is Martin! And he knows random facts about things like birds :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I borrowed this book from a friend, but I haven't had a chance to read it! I guess I need to move it up on my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to read this! I think it will help me when I rewrite THE LEMONITES. They sound kind of similar.

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*