Thursday, January 6, 2011

Another Cover (1) ; the unbecoming of mara dyer

So you know how in my New Year's Resolutions I talked about how I would like to talk about covers? Well, why not now? And yes, I did have trouble coming up with a proper title for these posts.. oh well, can't go back now. Please remember that EVERYTHING I say is MY OPINION ONLY :)

I think this cover was revealed recently...


Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Genre: Not really sure, tbh. Contemp? Paranormal?


Summary:
Mara Dyer believes life can’t get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there. It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed. There is.

She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love. She’s wrong.
**

My Thoughts:

Initially: Hmmm... *ponders*... Let's just say I don't find it spectacular.

Stop and Stare? Yep!

Image: It's a striking photo and pose, but I can't say I'm diggin' it. The way the girl is being held, the whole 'underwater' feel, it doesn't scream "this book just looks awesome", but more like "emooo".

Font: It's a yes-no type of thing for me.. it's a bit hard to read, plus the way the letters are formed, it looks like "malra". But.. I love how the title is huge :) And spreads across the whole cover, tres cool.

Colours: Depressing, moody, creates more of a dreary ambiance but it seems like that was the aim?... Is this good? Maybe, because sometimes I'm in the mood for those darker reads.

Harry Potter Rating (O.W.Ls*): Acceptable

Will I Read? Yes, based on a great synopsis.

**
So yeah, please feel free to disagree with me because I know a LOT of you will love this cover!

QUESTION: What's know your opinion on this feature, for example, would you like me to keep the book's summary? Or a link to Goodreads is enough? And is there any particulars you'd like me to comment on in the future (like the categories: image, font, etc...)?

And yes, I realize covers or subjective to the tenth power.

Your thoughts on the cover? And if you'd like, share some covers you'd like me to feature ^_^







author twitter / blog
this book on goodreads


*The levels of O.W.Ls from best to worst: Outstanding, Exceeds Expectations, Acceptable, Poor, Dreadful, Troll. #hpftw

9 comments:

  1. I kinda can't take my eyes off of this cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like this cover too..
    I love this segment/meme thing on your blog though keep it up!
    I love how you put in bold that this was all your option I take it you read my blog entry?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this cover! I like having the summary on the same page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I kind of love the cover. It is very haunting, though I'm not sure about the font for the title. It kind of gets lost in the image.

    I like the summary included. And I think you are doing a good job of hitting every point. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh. What an eerie cover. It definitely does shout romance but in a really creepy way. But I would totally read this, too!

    The summary up there is good! I like having it together with the cover. A link to Goodreads is a good idea too (I see it there!) so I can add it to my wishlist. I also like how you included the author's twitter & blog. Brilliant meme, Audrey! I love talking about book covers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you do these cover posts! I do a cover post every Monday, so if you ever want to send me your cover post link I'd be happy to include your link in my post.

    I agree with what you said about the emo feel of this cover. It looks dark and depressing. The dark, washed out colors don't appeal to me or catch my eye at all. I probably wouldn't read this book based on the cover. The name also does look like Marla! Hm, the description and title sound a lot like The Adoration of Jenna Fox. I wonder if this is a cheap rip off, another astounding story, or something completely different.

    I like that you include the description. I also like how you break the post up into sections. I know it isn't specific to this type of post, but I thought I'd mention that I absolutely adore that you use the Harry Potter ratings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! I guess we have different opinions on covers. I LOVE THIS ONE! I'd never seen it before! I think it's the title and coloring that really sell it for me. :D

    I love this feature! And I like Goodreads links and synopsis (so I can know right away what it's about, but can also go straight to Goodreads if I want to add it).

    Thanks, Audrey!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Juju- hehe, you're not the only one!

    Kit- thanks! glad you like it!

    Cari- alright, I think i'm gonna stick with the summary!

    Missie- I think it was the font that kind of turned me off from it.. but again, it's probs just me :p I'm glad you like the feature :) thanks for the comment!

    Justine- thanks girly! glad you like!

    Small Review- I'll probably take you up on that! ANd I'm glad I'm not the only one entranced by this cover :p I acutally haven't read Jenna Fox, I've heard great things though, seeing it's one of your faves, I might have to try reading it again! and HP ftw!! thanks!!

    Madeleine- haha, I'm so glad you like it! And yepp, the summary will be staying! thanks for the comment girly!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*