Sunday, December 12, 2010

Poetry Slam Sunday (8)


Slam Sunday is a new bi-weekly (and sometimes weekly) feature I'm having on my blog, basically every other Sunday I'll share a YouTube clip of awesome spoken poetry that you just can't miss.

Poetry Slam is a competition in which poets recite original work. I love it. Plain and simple, I love the way it combines words, rhythms and performance, the sounds blending together to bring attention to anything and everything. When done well, it has the power to accomplish great things.

**

This week's p
ick was performed at the 2010 Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony! And I live in Western Canada... right in the middle of all the hype (man, it's an experience), so there was so much Canadian pride during those unforgettable weeks in Februrary.

Anyway, random tangent aside, this extremely talented poet performed a very pro-Canada poem, which was awesome and made me feel all giddy and proud to be part of this amazing nation. And yeah, I know this isn't the version from TV, it was just one I could find.

Title: We Are More
Poet: Shane Koyczan



We are an experiment going right for a change,
with influences that range from a to "zed",
and yes we say "zed" instead of "zee",
we are the colours of Chinatown and the coffee of Little Italy,
we dream so big that there are those,
who would call our ambition an industry...






source: YouTube video

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow he is awesome, thanks for sharing hun keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is actually my dad's fave slam poem! :) He plays it in the car and everywhere ever since he heard it from the Winter Olympics. Haha. Totally love this one too, though. Canada (Y)

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*