Like the title suggests, this post will be about stand-out characters in YA lit this year. These characters aren't on here because they are, as the term we seem to love to use, 'kick-ass heroines' etc, but mostly because they stood out. They caught my attention and held on to it.
These are the characters that are funny, tough, ridiculous, enigmatic... characters that are stuck in your head longer than you can remember their storylines. The characters that can make you want to tear you hair out, the characters that make you smile and cry, the characters that make you question life and right and wrong… They aren’t always the protagonists, they’re not the good guys everyone is cheering for. They’re three-dimensional, they can be manipulative and cunning, brave and loyal (or if it’s easier, members of ANY Hogwarts house).
Here they are, in no particular order...
1. MAYOR PRENTISS– Chaos Walking trilogy (by Patrick Ness)
I honestly can’t get a grip on this guy, in some moments I just want to scream at Todd and Viola to kill him, but at others he is leading the charge or saving the day. He makes sacrifices… or is it murder? What is the greater good?... He tortures and effs with people’s (not just characters, readers too!!) minds, basically he’s incredibly puzzling… I still don’t really know what to think. He totally kept me on my toes the entire series which is why he earned a spot on my list.
2. THOMAS MACKEE – The Piper’s Son (by Melina Marchetta)
There’s a quality about Tom that makes him unforgettable. I think it’s the way Marchetta managed to make him practically come to life… yeah, that must be it.
3. TINY COOPER – Will Grayson, Will Grayson (by John Green and David Levithan)
Honestly, I put him here because he made my laugh my ass off. He’s funny, outrageous and fabulous!! He just lights up the book and simply amazing.
4. ALICE – Living Dead Girl (by Elizabeth Scott)
She haunts me… I still remember the feelings I had when I read this emotional and heartbreaking novel. The prose revealed so much of her character, she’s so beyond broken it tears my heart out.
ps- I considered Lauren from Bloom by E.Scott, because I hated her so much. I opted not to.
5. KATNISS EVERDEEN – The Hunger Games trilogy (by Suzanne Collins)
WOOOO Katniss! Screw you haters, I love this girl and I totally admire her after all she’s been though in these novels. She’s amazing through the entire trilogy (aghh yes, even in Mockingjay!), she's strong, resilient and smart. She’s the symbol for a country’s revolution for god’s sake: she’s the Girl on Fire.
6. ADAM WILDE – If I Stay and Where She Went (by Gayle Forman)
After reading Where She Went... well I love him. So much. He’s full of raw-ness and honesty, he’s a walking emotional rollercoaster and I love him for it.
Okay, I wish I could have named more but I think I’ll stop there. I do have a ton of amazing Honourable Mentions though:
- Todd and Viola from Chaos Walking trilogy
- Rose from the Vampire Academy series
- Nick and Alan from the Demon’s Lexicon series
- Bianca from The DUFF
- Lisbeth Salander from The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
- Finnick Odair (zomg loove) from The Hunger Games trilogy
- Lennie and Joe from The Sky is Everywhere
- Dash from Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares
- The Duke from Let it Snow
- Scarlett from Scarlett Fever
- Hale from Heist Society
- Soledad from When the Stars Go Blue
- Caitlin from Hold Still
- Culler from Fall for Anything
Let me know who I missed… there were just so many wonderful characters to read about this year!!
And tell me, who was the most memorable character for YOU in 2010???