Thursday, December 30, 2010

memorable Characters Of 2010

**I'm sorry. I seem to be unnaturally obsessed with LISTS. Is there such thing?... And there will be another list tomorrow. Sorry in advance? xD**

Like the title suggests, this post will be about stand-out characters in YA lit this year. These characters aren't on here because they are, as the term we seem to love to use, 'kick-ass heroines' etc, but mostly because they stood out. They caught my attention and held on to it.

These are the characters that are funny, tough, ridiculous, enigmatic... characters that are stuck in your head longer than you can remember their storylines. The characters that can make you want to tear you hair out, the characters that make you smile and cry, the characters that make you question life and right and wrong… They aren’t always the protagonists, they’re not the good guys everyone is cheering for. They’re three-dimensional, they can be manipulative and cunning, brave and loyal (or if it’s easier, members of ANY Hogwarts house).

Here they are, in no particular order...


1. MAYOR PRENTISS– Chaos Walking trilogy (by Patrick Ness)


I honestly can’t get a grip on this guy, in some moments I just want to scream at Todd and Viola to kill him, but at others he is leading the charge or saving the day. He makes sacrifices… or is it murder? What is the greater good?... He tortures and effs with people’s (not just characters, readers too!!) minds, basically he’s incredibly puzzling… I still don’t really know what to think. He totally kept me on my toes the entire series which is why he earned a spot on my list.


2. THOMAS MACKEE – The Piper’s Son (by Melina Marchetta)


There’s a quality about Tom that makes him unforgettable. I think it’s the way Marchetta managed to make him practically come to life… yeah, that must be it.


3. TINY COOPER – Will Grayson, Will Grayson (by John Green and David Levithan)



Honestly, I put him here because he made my laugh my ass off. He’s funny, outrageous and fabulous!! He just lights up the book and simply amazing.


4. ALICE – Living Dead Girl (by Elizabeth Scott)



She haunts me… I still remember the feelings I had when I read this emotional and heartbreaking novel. The prose revealed so much of her character, she’s so beyond broken it tears my heart out.
ps- I considered Lauren from Bloom by E.Scott, because I hated her so much. I opted not to.


5. KATNISS EVERDEEN – The Hunger Games trilogy (by Suzanne Collins)


WOOOO Katniss! Screw you haters, I love this girl and I totally admire her after all she’s been though in these novels. She’s amazing through the entire trilogy (aghh yes, even in Mockingjay!), she's strong, resilient and smart. She’s the symbol for a country’s revolution for god’s sake: she’s the Girl on Fire.


6. ADAM WILDE – If I Stay and Where She Went (by Gayle Forman)

After reading Where She Went... well I love him. So much. He’s full of raw-ness and honesty, he’s a walking emotional rollercoaster and I love him for it.



**
Okay, I wish I could have named more but I think I’ll stop there. I do have a ton of amazing Honourable Mentions though:


Let me know who I missed… there were just so many wonderful characters to read about this year!!

And tell me, who was the most memorable character for YOU in 2010???

14 comments:

  1. oh gosh, I can't name one character! hmmm.. perhaps Liesel from The Book Thief, I just find her incredible! PS good picks dearie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Thomas Mackee! He is one of my favourite characters and well I have a little crush on him. Katniss love her too.

    Really must read that Chaos Walking trilogy.

    Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no need to apologize. I love lists. You could even say I am unnaturally obsessed with lists :)

    My most stand out character...There have been a lot this year, but my heart was stolen by Wayland North from Alexandra Bracken's Brightly Woven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that Mayor Prentiss...So evil and yet not. He definitely is a tough one to define. And, I totally love Tiny, too! How could you not? Great choices all around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Favourite characters..Carrie Pilby for sure. ADAM WILDE is indeed a very good one for this list. :) And hey I like lists too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list!

    I just finished Living Dead Girl a few days ago and boy was that book beyond disturbing. It will stay with me for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking forward to Where She Went and Adam - good choices. I would add Wesley from The Duff. I really liked that character.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I love Katniss and Adam- I'm so glad they made the list! And I love so many characters on your honorable mentions list, like Lennie and Joe and FINNICK! That boy is love. Thank you so much for this! I really enjoyed reading it. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I freaking love lists. Keep them coming!

    and OMFG! You have read Where She Went. I'm dying to read that book! Dying!!! I loved the little bit of Adam I got from If I Say and I can't wait to read WSW from his POV.

    I loved that you HM'd Hale. Loved him.

    Yup, this post is full of win. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read too many books to choose a single memorable character. :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list. Congrats to you for being able to narrow it down even this much! Love the honorable mention for Dash...such a great character and a wonderful book. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally agree with you about Katniss! Love her! You described Adam perfectly: raw and honest! He's just amazing! I can't wait for Where She Went. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to disappoint, but there is NO WAY I can answer that question. :P

    I'm happy to see Adam on the list! He *made* WHERE SHE WENT for me. He was so perfectly full of flaws and hurt and desperation. Wow. Just wow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aly- dang, liesel is amazing :) I do think Rudy (for myself) is a tad more memorable... hair the colour of lemons... *sniff*

    Nic- wooot :)

    Small Review- I still need to read that! man, i've heard tons of good (and some bad) things!

    Mrs DeRaps- heck yes, he's such a well written character. thanks!

    NIna- oh man, after you read Where SHe Went you will love Adam even more!!

    Beth- oh i SO agree, it's such a chilling, searing book...

    Karen- Wesley was SEXY :D LOL

    Erika- I know, i was thinkgin Mockingjay and I just COULDN"T leave out Finnick! Love that boy :) Glad yo uliked the other choices!

    Missie- haha thank youu!! And Hale... i reread Heist SOciety recently because I forgot which parts of Hale I loved.. now i remember xD

    The Golden Eagle- it feels like that, eh?

    GMR- woot, LOVED Dash ;)

    Katie- Oh man, after you read WSW you will just LOOOVE him!

    Madeleine- haha, it was hard to narrow it down! I just adding more and more HMs :P zomg we need to gush about WSW sometime ;)

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*