Thursday, December 23, 2010

FIVE Challenge: Series

This post is part of Persnickety Snark's FIVE Challenge for 2010.
**

Oh Adele, why must you torture me so? There are sooo many YA series these days it was hard to narrow it down to 5. These series all have at least one book released in 2010, or else Harry Potter would definitely be on it :p
The titles in each series are listed as bullet points in chronological order :)

THE HUNGER GAMES - Suzanne Collins
~trilogy; complete

  • The Hunger Games
  • Catching Fire
  • Mockingjay
Well... duh. It is LEGEN… wait for it… DARY. (anybody? Anybody??) But in all seriousness, this series is one of the very best YA series out there, definitely my favourite dystopian one. It’s intense, thrilling, exciting, fearless, and epic. Yeah.
PS- I didn’t review this series because I don’t think my words would do it justice. That’s how good it is.


CHAOS WALKING - Patrick Ness
~trilogy; complete

  • The Knife of Never Letting Go
  • The Ask and the Answer
  • Monsters of Men
If you were to listen to any of my recommendations, I suggest you take this one. The writing is awkward and smooth, jarring and fitting and so fricken great. Ness is a genius that LOVES TO MESS WITH OUR HEADS. Honestly, he is relentless and keeps you on your toes, some of the twists in the series…. Oh man. You should definitely pick up these books ASAP.

My reviews: book one, book three.


VAMPIRE ACADEMY - Richelle Mead
~six books; complete

  • Vampire Academy
  • Frostbite
  • Shadow Kiss
  • Blood Promise
  • Spirit Bound
  • Last Sacrifice
Well, the series has ended! Man, I am so glad I decided to try this series, one of the best paranormal novels, and perhaps the only novels where I can appreciate the inclusion of vampires. I prefer to stay far far away. And I would totes recommend this series, it rocked my socks off and Rose is kick-ass!

My reviews, book: one, two, three, five, six (yeah, poor book four)


THE DEMON'S LEXICON - Sarah Rees Brennan
~trilogy; books 1 and 2 released

  • The Demon's Lexicon
  • The Demon's Covenant
  • The Demon's Surrender (May 2011)
Alan and Nick = hands down best brothers in YA literature.
Jamie= most adorably awkward, little brother and magician.
Mae= great character that kind of bonds everyone together.
...Mix everything up and add some healthy doses of swords and magic, you’ve got yourself a fantabulous series.

My review: book two.


THE IRON FEY - Julie Kagawa
~dunno how many books; books 1 and 2 released

  • The Iron King
  • The Iron Daughter
  • The Iron Queen (Feb 2011)
  • The Iron Knight (2011)
I’m kind of cheating because I’m basing a lot of this on the third book that hasn’t been released yet, The Iron Queen. Here’s the deal: Books one and two were good, not brilliant but enjoyable enough for me to know what happened next. Then BAM, The Iron Queen throws me off my feet and I couldn’t help but fall in LOVE with the series and the characters. Don’t like vampires? Try faeries (well, Kagawa!Faeries anyways)

My reviews: book one, book two, book three.

**
Whew! That was a long post! Well, long to write :) Anyways, what are your thoughts?? What are your favourite series of 2010?

I still haven't read some of those big debut ones from this year like Paranormalcy and Matched... I should get on that. Oh, and I almost forgot honourable mentions: Darkest Powers trilogy by Kelley Armstrong, The Maze Runner series by James Dashner and Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan (not sure if this counts, but oh well).

15 comments:

  1. BARNEY!!!!
    (points for being the first person to get that HIMYM reference?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completly agree on the hunger games and iron fey part!! ^-^

    www.blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hunger Games, VA and The Iron Fey are on my list! Agree completely with what you said about The Hunger Games, that you can't find words to do this series the justice it deserves. No other books will ever make me feel like that series did.

    I still need to read Chaos Walking and Demon Lexicon series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haven't done the demons lexicon yet ~ but i SO want to!!!

    also ~ scared of the chaos walking series for some reason? i really should get over myself and read them :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the Hunger Games and Chaos Walking series...SO very good! Can't believe they're all done : (

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the Vampire Academy series, but have tried Hunger Games and did not enjoyed since the beginning. I may try again and see if this is everything everybody talks about. The same to The Iron Fey series. Sounds awesome, but haven't put me int the mood to them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all on my list. I've only read The Demon's Lexicon. I should be starting The Iron King soon!

    It is hard narrowing things down to just five. There have been so many great series this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jordyn- YESS! ;) oh i love Barney :p

    Khadija- yay!!

    Nic- i hope you get to read them soon, i would definitley recommend them! :)

    Nomes- LOL that's the first time I've heard someone say that! It's a bit crazy but don't worry, nothing to be scared of :p hehe yepp i do recommend you read them! xD

    Mrs. DeRaps- I KNOW RIGHT?! :( no more Katniss or Peeta or todd of Viola :(

    Raila- Yeah, sometimes you ned to rbe in the mood to read certain books,and im sad you didn't like Hunger Games :(

    Small Review- Yay! HOp eyou like! I totally agree, just five is so hard! :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhhh, I have yet to read Monsters of Men! I love the series so far, but its been a while since I read the second one :D

    Oh my gosh, VA and THG! And I guess I must read The Demon's Lexicon and The Iron Fey (obviously). Great post, Audrey!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read two of them you listed, Demon's Lexicon and Vampire Academy (yeah--I know I am behind the curve), but the others are great. I love the Hunger Games and the Iron Fey series. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great list! Other than Vampire Academy, I haven't read any of these but they're all on my list of books I need to get cracking on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Audrey!

    Writing that is awkward and smooth?! What a description. Now you have peeked my interest.

    Also, I must find out more about these best bros in YA lit of which you speak.

    Love the Iron Fey series!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha Love Barney - suit up!

    Great picks The demons' Lexicon is sooo good and of course The Hunger Games. I really must try Vampire Academy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Hunger Games and Chaos Walking Trilogy. 'nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know what's funny? You and I always seem to read the same books, but I read one first while you read another, and then we switch. Huh.

    For example, on my list I have HUNGER GAMES, THE IRON FEY, MATCHED, PARANORMALCY, and CLOCKWORK ANGEL. And I've got the first book in the Vampire Academy series waiting on my shelf, along with the 1st and 3rd books of Chaos Walking. You're also the one who really turned me on to the IRON FEY, and I'm in the middle of the third right now. I'm also reading THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE, which has been sitting on my shelf for awhile, too.

    It's just plain weird.

    Anyway...! I really wish you could have been at Wordstock (a book festival here in Portland)! I saw Patrick Ness 3 times in two days (twice at Wordstock, once at a dinner thing that I hardly saw him at the day before). He was AMAZING at Wordstock! I had known about his books before, but it wasn't until I heard how CRAZY BRILLIANT AND INTERESTING he can be that I was really excited! If you ever have the chance to meet him, take it!

    I haven't read this comment over at all, so it's probably crap. Aw, well. :D

    Night!

    P.S. I also think I got his publicist's card and then lost it. Don't hit me. :P

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*