Sunday, December 26, 2010

FIVE Challenge: Hopes for YA in 2011

This post is part of Persnickety Snark's FIVE Challenge for 2010
**

This one wasn’t actually as hard to think of as I thought it would be... which I'm glad about. Just some nitpicks I have about YA I guess...


Stand-alone novels

Series these days are the ‘big thing’ and it seems that every hyped up book is the first in a trilogy these days (Paranormalcy, Nightshade, Matched, Delirium…etc.) I want some knock-out stand-alones that keep you hooked and desperate for more, yet with a fitting conclusion that seals up a fantastic book. It shouldn't take three books to develop three-dimensional characters and a solid plot.


Originality
  • No more love triangles of doom.
  • No stereotypical gay best friends.
  • No beautiful best friends.
  • Less predictability.
  • Throw out those stock characters.
  • No lame, cheesy titles.
  • Creepy and stalkery does not equal hot.
  • No more super-sweet, super lovable basically-doesn't-have-a-spine love interest.
  • Three-dimensional villains!

Gritty books

I want to read those novels that leaves me reeling, the novels that aren’t afraid to push the edges of acceptable. The novels that dig deep and procure emotion and grit and fire. Thos novels that you can just *tell* the author poured their hearts and soul into it, the ones that are deemed extreme, that are challenged for their bravery.. those books. However, "gritty" does not necessarily have to mean "issues".


Refreshing Romance

Oh man, this one is HUGE. I mean 90% of YA has some aspect of romance, and it does get tiring to read the same thing over and over again. Gimme something new to gush over.

I’ll have a dose of realism with a side of swoon please.


People loving The Piper’s Son

Yup, this one is making the list because I think Melina Marchetta deserves so much more recognition than she’s getting in North America (Well.. I think she’s a big deal xD) And this book is amazing and you should definitely read it (and Saving Francesca, the first book, which rocked my socks off). It's released in March.


**
What are YOUR hopes for YA in 2011? Agree or disagree with mine?

15 comments:

  1. Agree with everything you said especially the last one! I wish everyone would read The Piper's Son. Marchetta is a writing genius. She is doing a few writing events in Australia next year and I am hoping to meet her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey!!!

    Yes! Yes! Yes!

    Oh, and I may have already mentioned this, I'm so glad I did this challenge otherwise, I may have not heard of The Piper’s Son, but I have definitely noticed it mentioned several times throughout this challenge. I got it on my wishlist and I can't wait to read what everyone is talking about.

    Great list! I'm so looking forward to more originality with a side of swoon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with your list (though I can't say one way or the other about The Piper's Son since I haven't read it).

    I'm getting a bit worn out with series books. I agree that stand alone novels need to make a comeback.

    And on the refreshing romance front, I just started following your blog so I don't know if you've read Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins,but it is the most wonderfully refreshing romance I have ever read. Not a cliched or cringe-worthy line in the whole book. I can't wait for her other two books to come out in 2011 and 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with all of the above! Especially the obsessive love thing that seems to be so popular. Or as you put it "creepy and stalkery"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jellicoe Road is my FAVORITE book, so thinking about THE PIPER'S SON makes me jittery. SAVING FRANCESCA rocked my socks off... I actually received it for review back before it came out, right around Xmas. I devoured it! Marchetta leaves me stunned, every time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed on all points. I love series but some stand alones would be nice. They're so rare now. And the love triangles . . . *stab*

    ReplyDelete
  7. As for gritty novels, you should read any one of Courtney Summers' books. Only her third novel was released this month, and she's already a YA powerhouse. And if you want a book that will have you reeling, you should read The Adoration of Jenna Fox. It will leave you feeling sick and empty inside. It will blow your mind. Brains everywhere (in a good intense way).

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES! Especially what you said about standalone books and originality. Sometimes I feel like I'm reading the same book over and over again. Plus, my memory just isn't good enough to keep up with all of these series!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list, I will have to check out that book you mentioned. I have never heard of it. Going to go look it up at my library in a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this list. You've covered so much.

    I especially LOVE that you have given The Piper's Son it's own mention. That's just how awesome you are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait for Piper's Son.
    I don't have a problem with beautiful friends. I would prefer to see less of ditzy girl best friends and jokey guy best friends who are secretly in love with the girl, who is oblivious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Guess I will be adding Melina Marchetta books to our list. Stand alones, definitely made one of our top 5 hopes 2011 YA.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your wants in the originality department. I find myself bored by some of these too! Especially cheesy titles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amen sister! I absolutely agree with you on all points. I would love more stand alone novels that really pack a wallop. I also want Melina Marchetta's books to get the attention they deserve in America.

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*