Wednesday, December 22, 2010

FIVE Challenge: Covers

This post is part of Persnickey Snark's FIVE Challenge for 2010.
**

There were countless breathtaking covers this year, these publishers are seriously stepping it up! Every cover inspires envy, but there were some total stand-outs this year that I stopped and stared and went “woah”. I do feel a bit bad that some of these novels I haven’t read yet… Also, all these novels are published in 2010.


FALL FOR ANYTHING - Courtney Summers


~Ohh, is this something or what?! Initially it catches your eye because of the girl’s bowed head and the yellow tinge (I don’t think there’s that many yellow covers) but not only is the design and photography stunning, it also manages to convey a mood and emotion, something that is rare for covers. It makes you want to read the book to find out what the deal is.


THE SKY IS EVERYWHER
E - Jandy Nelson


~I love this one even more after reading the book, I think that tiny hole in the asymmetrical heart is so metaphorically beautiful and the whole cover is made of pretty things.

My review.


TAKE ME THERE - Carolee Dean

~This is probably the only novel I bought this year based almost completely on the cover and a tad on the summary (yeah go ahead, judge me). There’s no subtlety, which I love, it’s just boy and girl and intrigue. I will one day write a review for it..


TORMENT - Lauren Kate


~Oh man, striking and haunting. Love the dress. This series (book one: Fallen) I haven't read yet, but I can't deny that their covers are just effin' gorgeous.


FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK - Melina Marchetta


~I adore this cover because it embodies fantasy elements while making it contemporary and appealing. Everything meshes well and it’s a looker. No more of those horses/knights/random magic stuff, this is how fantasy covers should look. Gorgeous. Bonus points for the author's name xD

My review.

**
I couldn't include all my favourite covers, but here are some honourable mentions: Perchance to Dream by Lisa Mantchev, Linger by Maggie Stiefvater, The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta (Aussie version), Stolen by Lucy Christopher, The Iron King by Julie Kagawa...

What are some of your favourite covers this year??

9 comments:

  1. Great cover picks. I really like Fall for Anything and The Sky Is Everywhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo great covers! I added two to my "to be read" list (one was already there). Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picks! Publishers really are stepping up. So much better than YA covers in the 1990s, and worse, the 1980s!

    The cover that compelled me the most was Firelight by Sophie Jordan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, gotta love FFA! It's the cover that started my blog off on the right foot this year. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choices, although the US cover of The Sky is Everywhere really freaks me out. I LOVE the Torment cover although I haven't read it either.

    Looking forward to tomorrows 5

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fall for Anything is stunning and The Sky is Everywhere was on my list too :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Torment made my list, too---it's got to be one of my favorites of all time, let alone this year! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been doing these 5 challenges solely with books that I've read, which is proving difficult. :P

    I love the cover of STOLEN as well! It's gorgeous. I still need to read it, though. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have totally purchased Take Me There based on the cover, too. In fact...

    LOL

    Great picks. Love them all.

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*