Thursday, December 16, 2010

BR: Living Dead Girl

by Elizabeth Scott

This book has been on my wishlist for a while, but I saw it at the bookstore and thought I might as well pick it up. It’s a short book, and I do apologize for the out-of-it review..

Summary (goodreads):
Once upon a time, I was a little girl who disappeared. Once upon a time, my name was not Alice. Once upon a time, I didn't know how lucky I was.

When Alice was ten, Ray took her away from her family, her friends her life. She learned to give up all power, to endure all pain. She waited for the nightmare to be over. Now Alice is fifteen and Ray still has her, but he speaks more and more of her death. He does not know it is what she longs for. She does not know he has something more terrifying than death in mind for her.

This is Alice's story. It is one you have never heard, and one you will never, ever forget


**
My Expectations: I thought it would be one of those ‘issue’ books, something different, edgy, and emotional.

Delivery: not what I expected, it was definitely a lot darker than I thought it would be.

Put-down-ability: kind of perversely like a car accident in a way.. 2/10
**

My Thoughts

I consider myself a mature teenager, I can handle issues YA throws at me pretty well: vulgar language, violence, sex, booze, cutting… but quite honestly, Living Dead Girl made me uncomfortable.

It’s an odd type of experience, “Alice” is a character that’s painful to read about, her sparse diction and her hopeless view portrays a girl who has been beat down too far and too hard that she loses her will to live. It’s scary and it’s jarring to read her story, it makes me squirm and want to look away and shield myself from her suffering that oozes from the pages. The depiction of abuse is relentless and tragic, and there is an element about this novel that sucked me into its darkness.

The most prominent emotion I felt while reading was heartbreak, it was just so sad to read about the person Alice has become after 5 years with her abuser. The lack of spirit and determination makes her a toneless narrator, the simplicity of her words during explicit and horrific scenes breaks my heart. It’s hard to imagine, but this novel contains truth.

Rating in HP Terms: Exceeds Expectations
Recommended for: All mature readers.
Acknowledgements: simple and to the point, like the novel. 2/5

8/10 – because I think Elizabeth Scott was very brave to tackle this issue without shying away from the horrors of reality, she delivers an eye-opening novel that is immensely powerful and effortlessly pulls the reader in. This novel shows why the author is so important and popular in YA literature. Perhaps not the best reading experience for me, but there is no doubt that Living Dead Girl stays with you long after the final (and intense) pages.







source: bought
author blog

5 comments:

  1. Most of the time, I'm drawn to books like this but for some reason I can't seem to pick this one up. I'm scared! Ahhh.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I have heard it is a gut wrenching read. I'm kind of scared to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh - this book was dark and creepy. i couldn't look away too. loved your review.

    it's one i'm glad i read but am not going to re-read, if you know what i mean :)

    DFTBA!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! It really is a gritty and difficult book to read. So brave of Scott to actually put a voice to this type of situation! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking at reading this book for some time now, and I know that I still will at some point.

    I think that this novel is meant to make you uncomfortable because the subject matter is so difficult. In fact, I heard on Twitter that one woman with a 14-y-o had read it and said it was one of the few books that she didn't want her daughter to read, yet.

    Glad that even though it was a difficult reading experience for you, you understood the value of the book and the author.

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*