Monday, December 13, 2010

because i'm a bandwagoner: 2010 Survey

So, go ahead and call me a bandwagoner. I saw this at Frenetic Reader, Persnickety Snark, and The Perpetual Page Turner… and I wanted to participate too xD


Best Book of 2010:
So far… The Sky is Everywhere, which got the highest rating on my blog this year (9.4)

Worst Book of 2010:
I’ll be honest, Bloom by Elizabeth Scott really wasn’t the book for me. A few others were did-not-finish but I won't name names.

Most Disappointing Book of 2010:
The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan. I liked it but it felt... recycled. I was really hoping for something more original and exciting. However, it was still enjoyable and action-packed... and loved revisiting this world.

Most Surprising (In A Good Way!) Book of 2010:
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. I didn’t have the highest expectations on this one (I don’t really know why, maybe because award winners are a bit hit-and-miss for me) but this one was fantastic! Heartwarming, honest and hilarious.

Most Recommended-to-Others Book of 2010:
Too many! I still gush over Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta... but the most recommended? Probably the Vampire Academy series… or Percy Jackson.

Best Series You Discovered in 2010:
Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness
-because the writing is incredible, the action is so intense, and Ness is a total genius.

Favorite New Authors Discovered in 2010:
Lauren Oliver (Before I Fall, Delirium) and Jandy Nelson (The Sky is Everywhere) for writing style—stunning. So so talented.

For just non-debut authors I discovered this year, probably Patrick Ness (Chaos Walking trilogy), his writing is brilliant.

Most Hilarious Read of 2010:
Hmm.. Castration Celebration by Jake Wizner. Crude, twisted, funny. Not for the faint at heart.

Most Thrilling, Unputdownable Book of 2010:
Gotta go with the classic Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, what an epic ending to an epic series.

Most Anticipated Book of 2010:
Definitely excited to read Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta.
Because it was by Melina Marchetta.

EDIT: HOW DID I FORGET MOCKINGJAY??!!! *headdesk*

Favorite Cover of a Book You Read in 2010:
So many amazing covers! I loved the one in The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. The Iron Fey series (Julie Kagawa) covers are gorgeous as well, as is The Piper’s Son by Melina Marchetta (Aussie version)

Most Memorable Character in 2010:
I feel I am copying Adele by saying Thomas Mackee from The Piper's Son...
So I’ll go with..

TINY COOPER from Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan.
Zomg. He needs his own friggin book.

Most Beautifully-Written Book of 2010:
The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. Especially loved Lennie’s scrap poems and writings… the writing is what solidified it as my favourite read this year.

Book That Had the Greatest Impact on You in 2010:
I don’t think I have one… I’ll probably go with Mockingjay though. Because Collins wasn’t afraid to tell it like it is, you’ve got no cheesy ending, no Mary-Sue fearless protagonist… I didn’t even know what to think when I finished it.

Coming in a close second is Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness (Chaos Walking #3) because it explored war from all perspectives, it made me think about motives and conflict... it made me think, period.

Book You Can't Believe You Waited Until 2010 to Read:
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. A classic, I’m really glad I finally read it… Jo should have ended up with Laurie though ;)
**

You should do this survey too. It's fun. Except I realize just how much I mention The Sky is Everywhere... I guess you should read it.

*Also, this won't be the last of my "favourite 2010 things" stuff, I'm going to be doing some of Persnickety Snark's FIVE challenge too!

8 comments:

  1. Great post! I am going to have do this survey. I agree the Sky Is Everywhere is one of my favourite books of 2010. Love Marchetta and of course Thomas Mackee from The Piper's Son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay for the sky is everywhere!

    i didn't mind bloom - i mean, not my fave scott novel, but it was still a rather splendid afternoon of reading.

    and i recommend jellicoe all the time too - although one of my mates didn't like it - and i do get that even though it shatters me.

    and, yes, i love Tom. sexy and loveable despite his flaws :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes the Mockingjay effect. I loved that book! I'm ready for the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list topics, great books. The Sky Is Everywhere has been on my soon-to-read list for a long time, but I'm moving it up to a January must-read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Audrey,
    I've followed you here from bookblogs. :) I love this survey! It's so much more interesting than a straight list and a more complete representation of your reading year. Thanks for posting on the discussion so I got to take a peek.
    Poppy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We both picked the sky is everywhere we can agree it's amazing, gah i am so nervous about mockingjay some people refused to review it for some reason not many seemed happy with the ending. great answers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this survey! I'm definitely going to be doing this one to! I completely agree with you that The Sky is Everywhere is so beautifully written! I haven't read Castration Celebration, but it sounds hilarious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your 2010 post! I just started reading The Hunger Games and notice that a lot on the lists. Exciting!

    Found you on Book Blog and decided to follow. If you want to follow me back, here's my blog: http://blog.natashamheck.com/

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

DFTBA :)
for those who are confused, it means "Don't forget to be AWESOME". *hugs*